HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

I've MP5K-PDW and I need some light ear protection like this yellow colored one above?
Does anyone know where to find this yellow colored ear protection?
thanks

P.S. sorry for stealing someone's pic. :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Not exactly sure what those are. There are plenty of companies that make ear plugs. Some disposable, some reusable. Some corded like the ones above, some not. I would check or Google Bilsom or Howard Leight or Leightning.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
That guy looks familiar :). I am sure he will chime soon enough to let you know what hes using.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Currently I use Surefire ear protection but I'm always searching for better design... anyone?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Would you be opposed to using ear muff style hear protectors? I really like the Peltor Tactical 6 Stereo style of ear muffs and they are quite comfortable. They reduce the decibles of gunfire to a safe hearing level. They also will amplify safe hearing noise such as cammands to shoot give by a range instructor. I use these all the time when teaching on the range and it gives me the ability to hear if some one is trying to communicate a problem or a question to me.

I generally recomend to use some sort of hearing muff rather than just the ear plugs because your ear canal will have greater protection from the earmuffs covering the entire ear.

·
Er spricht schlechtes Deutsch...
1,701 Posts
Those ears are done locally by a woman who belongs to our gun club. She did them up for our whole SWAT team. She has a little business called "What-Ya-Say". It doesn't have an internet presence.

They are injected into your ear and harden in about ten minutes, in any color you want. They are great, but I don't know who would do them in your area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Try E.A.R. Inc. They have local contacts across the country who can make injection molded ear plugs. http://www.earinc.com/ Try the local sporting clays or trap clubs, they will often have the card of the local maker of these plugs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use ER-20 High Fidelity plugs from Etymotic Research. As a musician I learned to protect my hearing a long time ago but couldn't stand regular plugs because they muffled everything. These plugs are designed to mute frequencies more equally unlike typical cheap plugs. I tried them for shooting one day and haven't used any other plug since. Trust me, these are excellent "generic" plugs.

If you really want to spend the bucks for top notch ear protection, check out their custom molded Muiscian's Earplugs. When I can afford it I plan on getting some done.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks HKpro & HKfreak.
I've found that custom molding stuff at Walmart for $11.49, but I'm not sure the quality of that stuff...
Anyway, thanks to HKfreak I ordered ER-20... shipping was $6 for that tiny plugs but sure look like quality stuff.
I will write a range report soon.

I use ER-20 High Fidelity plugs from Etymotic Research. As a musician I learned to protect my hearing a long time ago but couldn't stand regular plugs because they muffled everything. These plugs are designed to mute frequencies more equally unlike typical cheap plugs. I tried them for shooting one day and haven't used any other plug since. Trust me, these are excellent "generic" plugs.

If you really want to spend the bucks for top notch ear protection, check out their custom molded Muiscian's Earplugs. When I can afford it I plan on getting some done.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
These plugs (made to perfectly fit Your ear-canal) are usualy offered by any otologist You ask...

·
Registered
788 Posts
I had a set molded for me at the Raleigh gun show where these 2 audiologist ladies were set up to do it as you wait. Very good sound reduction, wash easily, and fit perfectly. Perhaps you can call around to see if any audiologists will do it for you. Mine cost about $30 I think.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I know the custom fitted ones are very comfortable, but surprisingly, the polyurethane ones you roll up and stuff in your ears have a higher decibel reduction. The foam ones are almost as good as the polyurethane ones, but not as comfortable.

The custom molded ones are all about 25dB, the polyurethane ones are up to 32 or 33dB.

Here are the best ones I've ever tried, the ultimate softness ones -

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/hearos.html

And they're less than $2 a pair.

Also check out the skull screws. Work almost as well, and have a cool jolly roger looking logo, if that means anything to you.

On this page:
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/shootandhun.html I have a set of the Silent Ear reuseable plugs. Not quite as comfortable as the ultimate softness ones, but they're close. They're just a lot more expensive at $8 a pair.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Lots of guys are doing the e.a.r.s. at your local fun show. That or ask at your local gun club/range. Theres a a bulletin board at my range that always has a few cards for people who make them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts