HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s the most quitest 9mm 3 lug suppressor available for MP5K?
I’m thinking about Gemtech MK-9K or perhaps SWR Trident 9… any thoughts?
I had Gemtech SOS 9mm suppressor for my pistol, and it wasn’t quite at all and I’m looking for MP5SD level suppressor this time.
Please share your expertise with me.
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
I too am interested in a quiet can.

Trying to hook up with my local Class III dealer and try out a few.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Have you guys tried your cans "wet", some suppressors are more efficient wet vs.dry at least after the 1st shot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
You're probably not going to be able to get a muzzle can as quiet as an integral. I would recommend either the SWR Trident, or the AAC Evolution.

·
1,252 Posts
I too am interested in a quiet can.

Trying to hook up with my local Class III dealer and try out a few.
If you're only application is a sub gun, then I'd say the MK9K is the best bet.

If you might want to use it on a pistol host, then the Trident is the best one out there.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,949 Posts
You will get a lot of answers and a lot of opinions. Everyone has their favorite. Be that as it may, there are a lot variables to consider... what type of ammo are you using, the K spits out bullets pretty fast; what do you consider an acceptable/realistic duty cycle, etc. Wet or dry and on and on. I would recommend that you find yourself a good Class 3 that will demo a few different ones so that you can make up your own mind.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had narrowed my choices down to the same two cans you did, and after literally months of research, I decided on the SWR Trident.

From what I understand, they are both very very good cans. The Gemtec, I was told is "over kill" for semi auto fire (which is all my wallet will allow me to have!). I was also told that the Gemtec has a distinct sound because of the larger volume of the suppresssor. The Gemtec's volume can be good for full auto. The Gemtec is HUGE in diameter compared to the SWR Trident, but the Trident is longer. My thought was, that I wanted my SBR'd SP89 to be streamlined and the Gemtec just seemed out of place on it. The Gemtec looked like a Coke can sitting on the barrel. So as far as looks go, that is a personal choice. If you don't have access to either can, you can cut construction paper in the dimensions of both cans and tape to the proper diameter. This will give you an idea of what you are dealing with size wise...Uhh, I did'nt do this, but a "friend" of mine did.

I was also told that the "first round pop" is more substantial on th Gemtec due to the larger volume. With my Trident I have yet to hear a noticable FRP. I have only shot mine dry, so as far as dry vs. wet, I have no opinion.

What also sold me on the Trident was the ability to use it on a host of different 9mm firearms by swapping out adapters, whereas the Gemtec would look rediculous on a pistol. Also, their customer service is top notch. I had a 3 lug adapter that had the wrong inner diameter and made one phone call to Henry at SWR and recieved a new one two days later by express mail. I believe that both are "servicable" meaning you can take them apart for cleaning.

My Trident functions very well with 147 grain ammo, I liken it to a pnuematic nail gun, kind of a "pluh-tink" sound. It still does well to suppress 115 grain ammo, but it is not as effective. The 147 grain would make the nieghbors (hypothetically) go "Hhmm wonder what that was?" vs. the 115 grain that would make them go "What the hell was that?!" Neither sound like a gun shot, which is the whole point in buying a can. My buddy and I went shooting last week and he could not believe the difference between "no can...can with 115 grain...and can with 147 grain". He is now the proud owner of a Trident..once his form clears.

I honestly think you cannot go wrong with either, but at some point it boils down to how you intend to use it, function, reliability, asthetics, and customer support. Sorry for the long disertation, but the wife and kids are out of town and I'm bored!! You asked for experiences, and these are mine. Good luck on your descision. Mike

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
rollin hot

Are you sure you can take the SWR Trident apart for cleaning? I have a Trident and would love to take it apart to clean but while the end comes off that is it as far as I can tell. There are a couple of small indented holes in the sleeve that is inside the tube which make me think that perhaps the whole baffle stack might slide out but I have not been able to make that happen.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
WOW~ great info especially Rollin_hot!

Here's my required spec:

1. Will be primary used for full-auto firing
2. Needed dry can & not interested in “artificial environment can.”
3. Primary, I’m going to use 115g ammo and once in a while w/ 147g ammo
4. Acceptable/ realistic duty cycle? I’m not sure suppressor actually slows down the ROF but I like slow rate… let say something like full-size UZI in full-auto rate
5. Must be light weight
6. I like the fat look of MK-9K but I also like the slimness of Trident…tough call

·
Registered
244 Posts
I stand corrected, I just read the manual and it states it is not designed to be disassembled by the end user. They suggest spraying it with WD-40 or submerging it it Kroll after every 500 rounds. Thanks for the heads up hkChuck

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have several cans. I also tried several others on my MP5, and MP5K.
The one that I ended up buying was the Gemtech MK9K (tri lug).
It might have been slightly quieter than the others, but the reason that I ended up buying it for the HK guns was the fact that the other cans were all allowing "blowback" gases to get into my face.

I tried the gemtech raptor (tri lug), and the AAC Evo 9 (screw-on) and a few other similar cans and they all blew gases in my face. This was all during full auto fire. In semi, they might not do this.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
115 vs 147

Do you have pix of MK-9K can on MP5 or MP5K?
thanks
Gemtech website http://www.gem-tech.com/mk-9k.html

I'm using a Raptor on my K now but have ordered the MK-9K. I'm also using the #28 lp. You can definitely tell the difference between the 124 and the 147 loads. I would say that if you are going to spend the money on the can and "enjoy" suppressed fire, you should avoid the 115 ammo as it is counterproductive to that effort. You will have eliminated the blast but the ballistic crack will remain.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the aac evolution-9 also now has a 3 lug adapter. It's even smaller in diameter and length than the trident, and pretty good at sound reduction.
Costs a little more , and is multi platform like the trident.

I'd say the evo or the trident. Gemtech cans are good also, but they don't offer a interchangeable type (if you want to use on various platforms).

·
Registered
32 Posts
On the K for full auto use, I like the full size MK9 as that seems to run the smoothest and have the least blow back. I also don't have to change out the locking piece when using this can.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
3. Primary, I’m going to use 115g ammo and once in a while w/ 147g ammo
4. Acceptable/ realistic duty cycle? I’m not sure suppressor actually slows down the ROF but I like slow rate… let say something like full-size UZI in full-auto rate
I've shot and heard both of your top two and believe you can't go wrong with either. Have you heard super sonic ammo (115 g) out of a can? It is better than no can, but still not comfortable to me. Go with subsonic ammo and reload.

Also, can would likely speed you up not slow you down.

Jake

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
I've been running an AAC Striker II on my MP5 and it's been fine. I know that AAC is producing newer models of this suppressor with a stronger mounting system than my older can has. But I've had no problems.

As far as sound reduction I was more impressed with my detach can compared to the factory MP5SD's the state Highway Patrol issues their SRT team here. That's with 147 subsonics in my unit of course.

I will say that now that the Evo 9 has been redesigned to accept various interfaces it's ability to mount up 3 lug may be the way to go since you can also use that same can for 9mm pistol applications...Trust me you eventually will want to.

The short version is it's nice to have a can that gives you the most for your money. And any can that you can move from subgun to handgun is worth a lot down the road in my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts