HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to send out SP89 for another MP5K conversion.
Should I use USPS or FedEx? what type of service or insurance to use?
If using USPS since SP89 is a pistol do I need to use FFL dealer or I could just send directly to the gunsmith?

What's the correct marking for MP5K-PDW? my existing PDW that I brought someone has MP5-N marking. I'm not sure which one is correct.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would suggest having a local FFL mail it to the FFL gunsmith doing the conversion by USPS Registered Mail. Since the SP89 is a pistol, it has to be FFL to FFL to use the Post Office. The FFL has to bring in a completed and signed USPS Form PS 1508 Handgun shipment form.

Darin

·
Registered
670 Posts
Alot of the conversions I have seen were marked MP5K-N.

Not sure between dealer to dealer but when I sent my SP89 to HK in Georgia to be updated with a navy barrel I was able to send it directly to them and it was sent back to me directly as well.

That may have something to do with the fact that it going to the OEM vs an HK smith but I would still inquire as to the best course of action with that smith you will be sending it off to as they have done this enough times to know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Alot of the conversions I have seen were marked MP5K-N.

Not sure between dealer to dealer but when I sent my SP89 to HK in Georgia to be updated with a navy barrel I was able to send it directly to them and it was sent back to me directly as well.

That may have something to do with the fact that it going to the OEM vs an HK smith but I would still inquire as to the best course of action with that smith you will be sending it off to as they have done this enough times to know.
I have sent all of my conversions directly to the dealer. Fully insured with delivery signature confirmation.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
You can send it yourself by Fedex or UPS but the shippers require air delivery. Only an FFL can use USPS for handguns, if you have a buddy with an FFL this will be cheaper if he doesnt charge you for the service.

HK MP5K-PDWs were never marked "PDW", MP5K-N would be correct, assuming you are having a 3 lug barrel, etc on it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
MP5K-N is the correct marking per the MP5 Operator's Manual for a MP5K-PDW as it is really a MP5K-N with a folding buttstock.

As KBAR04 said, this is assuming you are putting a threaded 3-lug barrel on it and the ambi lower.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! will instruct my smith to mark it as MP5K-N again.

My concern with shipping is I need to insure SP89 & Coharie MP5 clone for at least $4K.
I've heard that UPS or FedEx will never pay for lost or damged package contained firearm.
Also, UPS asked me what was in the package... I told last time "firearm" and UPS lady walked away and called her manager & at least 3 more guys.:28:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to chime in - My recommendation is USPS Registered mail all the way. It's a bit of a pain because they have some very specific requirements about completely covering the package up in a special reinforced tape (which you can get at Staples), but it's the safest way to send firearms.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Judging by UPS's track record I'd say go with fedex. I heard a new story about a gun being ripped off by a UPS driver every week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts