HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys ,
I picked up a new P30L that came with the new 17 round VP9/P30 Mags .
For the pics the 17 rounder on the left and the 15 rounder is on the right.

The mag bodies are the same except for the two extra holes.
2.jpg 1.jpg

Here is the spring assembly. as you can see the spring is a bit thinner on the 17 rounder.
The biggest differences are that the mag follower and locking plate have been cut down.
3.jpg

Here is a close up of the follower and the locking plate
4.jpg 5.jpg

Also there is a slight thickness difference in the base plate.
7.jpg

Edit: The thicker base plate is the 17 rounder.

Hope this helps for everyone who was wondering.
Chiefstryker

·
Registered
134 Posts
If the mag bodies are the same, I assume that HK will eventually sell upgrade kits (follower, base plate) to the public.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I hope they keep offering the thicker spring/15 round magazine parts. A thinner spring with wimpier follower doesn’t interest me.
I don’t see it as a compromise, most every other manufacturer reliably gets 17-19 rounds from the same sized magazine. HK is just catching up.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
HK released it, any empirical why this is a ‘compromise’ (or is this internet chatter).

ETA:
The forum has been (follower/lockplate) modding these mags to take 15+, aftermarket has 15+ mags.
HK now has an official release, and it’s a compromise.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree. My thought is HK is catching up with this. Could be wrong. I know I’ve never had issues with any of my Glock or Sig magazines either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do those 17 rounders still sound like a bottle of pills when fully charged? I was pleasantly surprised by the quiet nature of the topped off factory 20 round offering.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I don’t see it as a compromise, most every other manufacturer reliably gets 17-19 rounds from the same sized magazine. HK is just catching up.
Wrong. Those manufacturers also have malfunctions with said magazine and those magazines do not last as long.
HK is not "catching up" they are compromising.

·
Registered
281 Posts
HK released it, any empirical why this is a ‘compromise’ (or is this internet chatter).

ETA:
The forum has been (follower/lockplate) modding these mags to take 15+, aftermarket has 15+ mags.
HK now has an official release, and it’s a compromise.
That's like cutting the springs on your Honda Civic to lower it.

The magazine body has channels on the side making it narrower. They should not have compromised and instead come out with a new body design.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I take it that’s exactly what they did, cut the springs.
I take it they did not engage in mechanical prototyping, they took it off the drawing board and straight to production (let’s just copy everyone else). I take it they only tested one mag, and one string. Never mind considering the spring metallurgy/geometry.

The body channels/guides the rds starting from the 4-5rd to the top, so it single-stacks from the 3rd (so much for HK over-engineering to enhance reliability). Others gain capacity by stacking from the 3rd rd, yes there were reliability issues when the Glock 17rd mags first came out. The 15/17th rd geometry/position is the same in relation to the mag body, the 17th is gained by the (revised) follower/spring/lockplate.
17rds with the 15 mag has been proven, and that’s by the forum from modded stock parts - HK (finally) quantified it.

And here’s the thing, again… any ‘compromise’ empiricals?
And no, I'm no HK fanboy.

·
Registered
670 Posts
can you do me a favor and test to see if you swap only the follower and locking plate while reusing the 15 rounder spring, body and baseplate if it will hold 17 rounds? I assume so with some force but I think we can "upgrade" our 15ers to 17ers. thx!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
can you do me a favor and test to see if you swap only the follower and locking plate while reusing the 15 rounder spring, body and baseplate if it will hold 17 rounds? I assume so with some force but I think we can "upgrade" our 15ers to 17ers. thx!
I just tried this. It will hold 16 round this way, with no extra room. If you swap out to the 17 round base plate you get about 1/3 of an extra bullet. This is true no matter which mag body is used.
This is mostly on the follower. because it is cut for the thinner spring of the 17. If you took the follower out and took a dreamer or exacto knife to it and trimmed the inside out till it matched it may work, but you would probably need to use the 17 round base plate cause it looks like they changed the depth of the retainer tab/tab hole on the locking/base plates
I would not want to run in the 16 round configuration because the top round is really tight and may not strip. Also on the last round it could fail to feed, because the mag spring is not seated properly.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts