HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting off the 1911 "ride" and looking for a new carry gun.
The 1911 though the best looking and when they run right are the best shooting in my opinion. The 3" 1911 arn't that dependable.
And after 20 years of Smithing them. I have see them run great one day and choke the next. Also my bad back can't take the weight anymore.
I help out at a gun store part time and have become really impressed with the H&K line and feedback from customers. I am thinking of a p2000 in 40 or a Compact H&K 45 when they come out.
What kind of maintenice do they require. 1911's require recoil spring changes at certain intervals. Does H&K recommend that? Where do I buy parts?
What kind of solvants or oil is needed to clean them?
Are they +P rated.
How many rounds can they go before part replacement is needed?
Help a 1911 man out and Thank You for the advice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
HK 45 when all is said and done will be like all other HK weapons out there. Parts are expensive, and hard to get. HK is very serious about thier warranties so I would stay away from working on them too seriously. HK's handguns are pretty sturdy requiring alot less maintanence than your 1911's. These are truely weapons you can fire for years and not worry about it. Most of your cleaning stuf should be fine just look at the manual anything harsh should be avoided but with the popularity of polymer weapons over the years it is doubtful you will acidentally buy the wrong thing they spell it out pretty well on both sides of the isles.

I too love 1911's and you will always have a soft spot for them and may buy them from time to time but you always will come back to the polymers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll answer your question this way: I carry as my primary weapon a 1911 Government and back that up with the H&K USPc (compact) in .357 Sig. The compact has a grip very close to the 1911 pattern in the .357, unlike the bulky USP full-size...

And to answer your reliability question -- if the world was in turmoil and no spare parts were available for any weapons and that meant you had to use what 'you-brought-to-the-party', my rifle would be a H&K 91 in 7.62mm and my handgun would be a HK45; simply put 'THEY DON'T BREAK' very often, even under the most harsh environments...

But since we have spare parts, I carry a 1911 Government platform and back it up with my USPc because: I have never found a weapon that fills my hand so perfectly, points more naturally, has a better trigger, and can get into action faster than Browning's masterpiece...

The new HK45 does three of the above well, but its trigger has alot to be desired, even though it's better than most polymer framed handguns out there and even better with a little work. And, as you know, I can carry it 'cocked & locked' which is a big plus for a dedicated 1911 user...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see the HK45 as the next step in the evolvement of the 1911.
We were hoping to see some German engineering in the Sig 1911, but it was really a Caspian parts gun made in New Hampshire with a slide that was too thick for most holsters.
The hk45 has the peter stalh guide rod system. I think a flat recoil spring and the o ring on the barrel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I see the HK45 as the next step in the evolvement of the 1911.
We were hoping to see some German engineering in the Sig 1911, but it was really a Caspian parts gun made in New Hampshire with a slide that was too thick for most holsters.
The hk45 has the peter stalh guide rod system. I think a flat recoil spring and the o ring on the barrel.
I handled and shot the HK45 (a friend has one that he carries when we do training), but I won't be taking possession of mine until tomorrow. I'll give a little report about it then, plus I'll do the trigger work tomorrow afternoon to make it more akin to the match trigger of the USP Tactical and the Expert and Elite...

Currently, I'm testing out the new Smith & Wesson M&P45. I've done a trigger job and ran a quick 200 rounds downrange. really a nice piece with the interchangeable grips/palm swell, but certainly not as robust as the H&K design, but certainly superior to the Glock and Springfield XD (it has a steel frame versus the skimpy metal rails of the Glock & XD. And, unlike the Glock, its chamber fully supports the case to the base rim, so little chance of the Glock case rupture here.

For the $$$, the M&P is quite a gun, very close to the FNP as far as value goes. BTW, the FNP in SAO is an interesting handgun that I have on order as well -- having a tougher time finding it in SAO, but they are out there...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Recommend taking a look at the SIG P229-DAK and the S&W M&P.
I have both and love both. Both have been 100% reliable and have excellent fit and finish. The SIG is just barely the best, but the M&P gives you +3 rounds and adjustable grips.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Recommend taking a look at the SIG P229-DAK and the S&W M&P. I have both and love both. Both have been 100% reliable and have excellent fit and finish. The SIG is just barely the best, but the M&P gives you +3 rounds and adjustable grips.
Good recommendations, EOD Guy, but me thinks the gentleman wants something a bit closer to a 1911 like platform than the Sig 229 (nice pistol, but a completely different animal than your other recommendation, the M&P45). The 10mm Short (40 S&W) is about as close to the 45ACP you can get in the P229...

·
Registered
377 Posts
I am getting off the 1911 "ride" and looking for a new carry gun.
The 1911 though the best looking and when they run right are the best shooting in my opinion. The 3" 1911 arn't that dependable.
And after 20 years of Smithing them. I have see them run great one day and choke the next. Also my bad back can't take the weight anymore.
I help out at a gun store part time and have become really impressed with the H&K line and feedback from customers. I am thinking of a p2000 in 40 or a Compact H&K 45 when they come out.
What kind of maintenice do they require. 1911's require recoil spring changes at certain intervals. Does H&K recommend that? Where do I buy parts?
What kind of solvants or oil is needed to clean them?
Are they +P rated.
How many rounds can they go before part replacement is needed?
Help a 1911 man out and Thank You for the advice.
HK's are quite a bit different animal than a 1911. You could pick up a P2K or USPc and run thousands of rouns through it without doing a single thing to it, except your routine cleaning/lube.

The recoil springs will last a long time, and I'd be willing to bet most people replace them even before they really need it.

Any solvents or lube your using now will be fine.

Any +P round will accelerate wear and tear. However HK's will handle +P as well as anything.

Thousands upon thousands upon thousands before part replacment is necessary.

Basically, buy it, shoot it, enjoy it.

Good recommendations, EOD Guy, but me thinks the gentleman wants something a bit closer to a 1911 like platform than the Sig 229 (nice pistol, but a completely different animal than your other recommendation, the M&P45). The 10mm Short (40 S&W) is about as close to the 45ACP you can get in the P229...
The P220 Carry, is the same as the P229 for the most part, only it's in .45acp. That would be a better comparison if the .45acp is prefered.

*edit*

There's also the P220 Compact, which is a spectacular gun, but is still heavier than an HK.

Coming from 1911's, I assume the .45acp is what the OP is most comfortable with. Anything in the P220 line would offer that, and are the best combat style .45's IMO, but again, there's the issue with weight, if that is a concern.

The HK45c, when it's released, would/should work really well. The USPc is a great gun, however I think the .40sw is the best round for it. The additional capacity offered by the .40 over the .45 in the USPc pushes it over the edge for me. I think the HK45c might be the best option. If you're willing to wait 4-6 months that could be the way to go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Sig is a very fine pistol. But being left handed the slide stop button isn't where I need it. The controls on the H&K 45 is where I need to find them. Also here and there I'm reading about problems with Sigs not running. This is recent and some are saying that Sig got too big too fast with their line.
H&K I never hear anything bad. Just the opposite. I keep hearing how people beat the crap out of the gun and it never missed a beat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts