HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here it is the new Xs-Products X-15 coil magazine, it will be long enough to fit the 416 unlike the surefire mag. 50 rounds of .223 goodness in a package that is shorter than a 30 rounder and about 5 inches shorter than a surfire quad stack magazine. Built entirely of billet 7075 alumium, aint much going to stop this little magazine from operating. Looking for delivery sometime in the second quarter of 2012 Home - XS Products

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
didn't someone verify the SureFire mag's do work in the 416? I'd swear I read a post on here several weeks ago, where someone used the SureFire mags in a 416 without problem?

·
Registered
896 Posts
didn't someone verify the SureFire mag's do work in the 416? I'd swear I read a post on here several weeks ago, where someone used the SureFire mags in a 416 without problem?
Mine 60 rounder works in my MR556. But it was posted that it does not in the 416. At least on the ones that have shipped in the past. I can nothing on the M27 IAR working or not. I'd guess that if the changed something for the MR556 they also changed it for the M27 to work.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
This is the mag we asked HK GmbH to create based on the 7.62mm NATO G8 drum. They never did. Good to see someone took that opportunity. If it works it would be a great first mag for the USMC IAR. If they could get it to utilize 10-rd stripper clips to fill it it would be near perfect.
G3Kurz

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Wow, really? I suspected it was going to be more than the Surefire, but that's approaching Beta C-mag pricing for half the round capacity. It does seem nice, but at $5 per stored round, I can't justify that to myself. You can get a decent 30 round metal mag for say $15, which works out to 50 cents per round. Even a Surefire mag is cheaper at about $2 a round and a Beta C mag runs around $3 per round.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The current pre-order price is listed on the site for $189, I guess there is a lot of debate between the owners the value of billet vs stamped magazine. It's definitely a bit more beefy than a stick mag, I mean a lot more beefy, but for a lot of people justifying the price site unseen is going to be tough. It's an incredible piece of machine work.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I assume that the OP saw that as a prototype at the SHOT Show, because there isn't anything I can find at the manufacturer's website about a 5.56 version. If it does come out it's a must have for me just for the coolness factor. Wish they would make a HK93 version but I guess that's too much to ask for

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
We are anxious to get these in as they are natural fits for the MR556 and HK416.
The pre-fit looked great on the gun and the excitement it drew at the booth was good to see. Great meeting these guys, I'm also looking forward to the final.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
It's really sad that HK did not make this mag (a 5.56mm version of the G8 drum) b/c that would have been an awesome Hi-cap mag for the M27.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
It's really sad that HK did not make this mag (a 5.56mm version of the G8 drum) b/c that would have been an awesome Hi-cap mag for the M27.
Super hi-cap was not a requirement for the M27 program.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Wow, really? I suspected it was going to be more than the Surefire, but that's approaching Beta C-mag pricing for half the round capacity. It does seem nice, but at $5 per stored round, I can't justify that to myself. You can get a decent 30 round metal mag for say $15, which works out to 50 cents per round. Even a Surefire mag is cheaper at about $2 a round and a Beta C mag runs around $3 per round.
Guessing you do not own a G8 drum then?? Anywhere from 18-30(dependent upon how much you paid) dollars per stored round.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Super hi-cap was not a requirement for the M27 program.
True BUT the program was almost cancelled due to the point that 30 (boxed) rounds is not 200 (belted) and that was a major selling feature to keep the M249 in the SAW role vs fielding the IAR in the AR role. The avilability of a reliable low profile hi-cap magazine would have reduced that point as an obstacle AND more importantly increased the capability of the M27 in specific roles where you want and need a higher continuous volume of fire w/o reload (ambush/counter ambush, break contact, up against an AK/RPK with a 75 round AK drum!, etc.).

The beauty of the drum magazine like this one (or the HK G8 drum) is that they work well compared to dual drums (Beta mags) and the are not so long like the Surefire stick mags that you cannot assume a proper prone position with the weapon upright and not tilted. These long Surefire stick mags are going to get trashed in hard infantry use as their length becomes the very lever that damages the mag and weapon possibly when the gunner falls on the mag or jams it into a door or window sill during entry/movement.

If this 50-rd round drum mag is robust and reliable I predict the Marines will purchase and field some very quickly for eval. The M27 can easily handle the sustained rate of fire (up to 75 rpm) and cyclic rate of the 50 round capacity. Maybe the gunner carries one for initial engagements and then 30 round stick mags after that.

G3Kurz

1 - 20 of 39 Posts