HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I talked to James who had displayed the magazine at shot show, he said the interest in this magazine was overwhelming, and there was a lot of mention about the IAR program. They are sending them out to several major players for evaluations and if they fit the bill they will be using them in the field. The actual exterior of the magazine he said will probably be covered in grip tape (like that used on a skate board) for quick maneuvering out of a pouch and for reliable handling.

True BUT the program was almost cancelled due to the point that 30 (boxed) rounds is not 200 (belted) and that was a major selling feature to keep the M249 in the SAW role vs fielding the IAR in the AR role. The avilability of a reliable low profile hi-cap magazine would have reduced that point as an obstacle AND more importantly increased the capability of the M27 in specific roles where you want and need a higher continuous volume of fire w/o reload (ambush/counter ambush, break contact, up against an AK/RPK with a 75 round AK drum!, etc.).

The beauty of the drum magazine like this one (or the HK G8 drum) is that they work well compared to dual drums (Beta mags) and the are not so long like the Surefire stick mags that you cannot assume a proper prone position with the weapon upright and not tilted. These long Surefire stick mags are going to get trashed in hard infantry use as their length becomes the very lever that damages the mag and weapon possibly when the gunner falls on the mag or jams it into a door or window sill during entry/movement.

If this 50-rd round drum mag is robust and reliable I predict the Marines will purchase and field some very quickly for eval. The M27 can easily handle the sustained rate of fire (up to 75 rpm) and cyclic rate of the 50 round capacity. Maybe the gunner carries one for initial engagements and then 30 round stick mags after that.

G3Kurz

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
I've always wondered, where did it's bigger brother X-91 fall in terms of reliability/usability? Is it a total dog like beta mags or is it a reliable copy of the G8 drum? I've looked a few times, but have yet to see where anyone (of consequence) lay down their actual findings.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Am I missing something here? It's way more bulky and heavy then 2 30 round mags with less capacity. Why does it need to be so heavy and unergonomic?

-W

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The beauty of the drum magazine like this one (or the HK G8 drum) is that they work well compared to dual drums (Beta mags) and the are not so long like the Surefire stick mags that you cannot assume a proper prone position with the weapon upright and not tilted. These long Surefire stick mags are going to get trashed in hard infantry use as their length becomes the very lever that damages the mag and weapon possibly when the gunner falls on the mag or jams it into a door or window sill during entry/movement.

If this 50-rd round drum mag is robust and reliable I predict the Marines will purchase and field some very quickly for eval. The M27 can easily handle the sustained rate of fire (up to 75 rpm) and cyclic rate of the 50 round capacity. Maybe the gunner carries one for initial engagements and then 30 round stick mags after that.

G3Kurz
Well said. From what I heard, the Russians have problems with their quad stack mags and ditched their quad stack mags. However, I'm not 100% sure on this.

In addition, AARs after WW2 by German soldiers showed that the length of the STG44 mag made it hard to fire from the prone position because the magazine interfered with getting into a good prone position.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
It has more to do with the length and ability to be in the prone position while laying suppressive fire without making a mag change, as well as reliability. 30 round mags become exceedingly long and do not allow for the lowest position in prone, your head's up high leaving you vulnerable to incoming fire, especially under fire from tumbling rounds. You need to be as close to the ground as possible. It's not heavy and it is ergonomic, it's about the size of a dollar bill:

From my experience the X-91 has been extremely reliable as it seems to be the case with many other members:

X-91 Drum 50 Round HK Drum - HKPARTS.NET Scroll down and click on reviews below.

Am I missing something here? It's way more bulky and heavy then 2 30 round mags with less capacity. Why does it need to be so heavy and unergonomic?

-W

·
Banned
879 Posts
For the first time ever, a drum magazine got me excited.

Until I saw the MSRP.

I hope it's less then that. Way less.

Edited to add: If they made a version out of a high quality plastic(Think Pmags) and made it extra heavy duty, I'm sure it would be just as durable and reliable as the machined AL models and much, much, cheaper.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Exciting news! The magazines are coming out of production right now. They're going to be filming and shooting them this weekend for promotion. I'll post the videos when I get them. :19:

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Nice. I like it. Probably one of the first things I would purchase if I was still in and using an IAR. Right after would be the Armatac Saw-Mag, but that would be kept in my daypack.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,875 Posts
I've run my 91 drum back to back with my genuine HK drum in a postie G3 without issue. So as far as "working" goes, they do. Random thoughts on this issue:

I have an Armatac 150 round dual drum for my 416. That's a LOT of firepower in the prone position. It's a pain to hump it. I can absolutely see a drum being more appropriate for specific firing "missions." I am not a lawyer and I am certain that I did not sleep in any hotel bed last night... I'd be a little worried about the 007 logo on the can if permission has not been secured. The Fleming/Eon copyright crew is notoriously vigorous...

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I just got confirmation the prototype you saw here was the only one with the 007 all the rest will be marked like normal magazines:

I've run my 91 drum back to back with my genuine HK drum in a postie G3 without issue. So as far as "working" goes, they do. Random thoughts on this issue:

I have an Armatac 150 round dual drum for my 416. That's a LOT of firepower in the prone position. It's a pain to hump it. I can absolutely see a drum being more appropriate for specific firing "missions." I am not a lawyer and I am certain that I did not sleep in any hotel bed last night... I'd be a little worried about the 007 logo on the can if permission has not been secured. The Fleming/Eon copyright crew is notoriously vigorous...

·
Vendor
2,682 Posts
We have a ton of these on order and will have these available as soon as they are tested and released. These are a great fit for the HK416, MR556 Not to far out now.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Seriously? Just use 2 30rd mags with 28 loaded like everyone else. This is just another way to get some folks to waste their hard-earned money. Just sayin..............

·
Registered
32 Posts
For those interested, I just received my X-15 today, it's a solid, well designed drum, however, there is a problem as it DOES NOT fit the HK magwell. Spoke with James at XS Products, he said they are aware of the issue and are planning a production run within the next month or two that will work with HK and Noveske lower. He also offered to exchange it at no cost when the new drums are finished, which is fine because it fits standard M4's perfectly and will give me a chance to shoot it up.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts