HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long road, starting with a Ruger SR9c as my first handgun purchase. That had to go back to the factory twice and then Ruger told me I was on the hook for the next barrel that got peened by their poor slide to barrel fit.

Next was a Glock 26 Gen4, which I still love. Only complaint there is when reholstering (I carry appendix IWB at about 12:30), an accidental discharge becomes a 9mm hole in my femoral artery, and about 60 seconds for medical help to arrive. Though I am very careful, once the trigger is out of my sight, it's all on faith that nothing happens. Since I train with the gun I carry, I can expect to do a lot of reholstering with a loaded weapon. If there was a striker indicator I could "ride" into the holster, I'd probably be content with the Glock.

Answer: P2000sk in LEM. Ordered it from Bud's today, will hopefully have it soon. I have never handled an LEM trigger (just can't find them around here), but after a lot of research I think I will like it. I know that the form factor and grip will be wonderful. I have an HK45 and am already enamored with the quality, accuracy, ease of takedown and cleaning, etc. Not sure why I didn't just go with the P2000sk from the beginning.

I did order some flush mag plates (I hate the ones with the lip) and the extended magazine release from the HK45/c. Those seem to be the only improvements that can be made to this weapon. Obviously I'll know more after it arrives.

Will initially carry it in a High Noon Mr. Softy I have laying around (unused). Fortunately the same model holster works for all of the above mentioned guns. If I do end up replacing the Glock with it, I'll modify my order with Raven to have my ACR made for the P2000sk instead of the G26.

Looking forward to any responses regarding the P2000sk and/or the carry thereof!

Obligatory picture (not mine, though I'll be sure to help with the world's shortage of quality pictures of this firearm)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Next was a Glock 26 Gen4, which I still love. Only complaint there is when reholstering (I carry appendix IWB at about 12:30), an accidental discharge becomes a 9mm hole in my femoral artery, and about 60 seconds for medical help to arrive. Though I am very careful, once the trigger is out of my sight, it's all on faith that nothing happens. Since I train with the gun I carry, I can expect to do a lot of reholstering with a loaded weapon. If there was a striker indicator I could "ride" into the holster, I'd probably be content with the Glock.
Lmao.....I don't get it??

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no hammer or striker indicator. If the trigger is caught on something during the reholster, you don't find out until the gun goes boom. Because of the position of the gun, it is pointed directly at your femoral artery, meaning an accidental discharge would likely mean your life.

With a hammer-fired gun (the P2000sk for example), if you keep your thumb on the hammer while reholstering, the gun would be unable to fire without your thumb coming off the hammer so it could move back. Likewise with a striker fired gun such as an XD or Walther which have a piece of plastic that protrudes from the back as the trigger is squeezed. This gives you warning that the trigger is being moved backwards, and if you are paying attention, you can stop before the gun fires.

It is my (and many others) belief that the additional risks posed by appendix carry warrant additional care to avoid accidental discharges. More info here: AIWB (Appendix Carry)

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
With my SK I noticed my extension forces my hand into perfect position every time. While getting that crushed feeling, the moment my grip tightens my hand gets locked into place like KimK on RayJ.

IDC care about the Glock talk but as for the SR9c, unless you did something, Ruger would not hold you responsible for barrel peening. If there was in fact Peening.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah...I'm aware of that thread and aiwb carry. I'm guilty of trying it (glock17,P30,pps) not my preferred method but im anxiously awaiting raven vanguard 2. Give the glock another shot at my crouch! Lol
I read your post and the first thing i thought was....dudes blaming the gun for potential ND. I call BS on that!! "all on faith that nothing happens" I get it! As for the Ruger, good luck with that bro!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IDC care about the Glock talk but as for the SR9c, unless you did something, Ruger would not hold you responsible for barrel peening. If there was in fact Peening.
Well, the letter is sitting next to me. The short version is, I called Ruger, described what I was seeing. They said send it in to look at it. They replaced the barrel (doesn't this mean they acknowledged a problem?) then said in the letter that it was a one time replacement as a courtesy and that future replacements would be on me.

There was peening where the slide was rubbing against the barrel and removing material. I don't believe it would have affected reliability, but I also don't think it should have been happening. Many people say to file down the slide a bit, but why wouldn't Ruger do that while they had the gun if that is the solution? I'm not knocking Ruger's customer service, which was great both times my gun had to go back. Just that they might be sticking their head in the sand a bit with the peening issue which is widespread and a result of poor design and/or a poor assembly process.

Plus I decided I didn't want to mess with a manual safety, and magazine disconnect, any more.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah...I'm aware of that thread and aiwb carry. I'm guilty of trying it (glock17,P30,pps) not my preferred method but im anxiously awaiting raven vanguard 2. Give the glock another shot at my crouch! Lol
I read your post and the first thing i thought was....dudes blaming the gun for potential ND. I call BS on that!! "all on faith that nothing happens" I get it! As for the Ruger, good luck with that bro!
Certainly if the gun goes off its because of something I did, not the gun. I don't really think a ND could randomly happen, I would just FEEL better having positive contact with the firing mechanism while holstering. Especially during a training class where I am doing this motion hundreds of times. It's not likely that a piece of brass would get caught in my holster and get in the trigger at just the right angle. But the stakes are pretty high if it did happen. The Glock isn't going anywhere, I am just giving the P2000sk a shot at becoming the new EDC, and I strongly suspect it will win.

There's also something to be said for having the same magazine release and MoA on both my "business guns", the other of which is the HK45.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I carry my P2000 AIWB and always have my thumb over the hammer while reholstering. I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a striker fired gun AIWB. Not saying it can't be done safely. There is just much less margain for error.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
I carry my P2000 AIWB and always have my thumb over the hammer while reholstering. I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying a striker fired gun AIWB. Not saying it can't be done safely. There is just much less margain for error.
Much agree, I carry a P2000SK V3 AIWB.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I know what this sounds like but...

Put in slow. Pull out fast

Congrats on the P2000sk! The LEM should make transitioning from the Glock a little easier.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice to see I'm not the only one with this idea. The more I think about it the more it seems ideal for an AIWB carry gun. Counting the days till it shows up!

·
Registered
332 Posts
congrats on the p2000sk. wish i had the LEM on mine, not that i'm complaining, i love my v3. i think you'll really like the flat baseplates. i changed mine out, made the gun much more enjoyable to shoot.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did mention that I ordered that :) That was the one thing I couldn't stand on my USPc, but at that time the extended releases weren't available. I love the one on my HK45.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on the purchase... Thats weird about your sr9c.. My brother has a sr40c and had issues with it... He says ruger jumped through hoops to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Agreed. In fact, the ability to thumb the hammer while reholstering was one of the reasons I chose a USPc over a Glock 19.

·
Registered
278 Posts
OP on the P2000SK LEM,

I purchased my HK45C in DA/SA first, and I trained with it for over a year. When it came time to add another HK to the collection for concealed carry I was on the fence whether I wanted to try the LEM trigger or stay with a DA/SA trigger like my .45 ?

Well I decided on going for the P2000SK 9mm V2 LEM (converted to V1 Light LEM), and I could not be happier it is a perfect ccw gun and goes practically everywhere with me.

I train with it weekly at the local action pistol league and shoot quite competitively against full size guns from Glock, S&W, and 1911's, but I do not get the malfunction clearing practice that they do! LOL

I can say with out a doubt that there is an LEM modification coming to my 45C sometime in the near future.

GOTURBACK

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congratulations! The P2000sk with the LEM trigger (light or heavy) is an excellent choice for EDC! The LEM will be a bit of a transition if your used to the G26 but having an actual hammer to put your thumb on will definitely give you added piece of mind when re-holstering. Enjoy and take the time to train with the LEM trigger!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts