HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to take delivery of a brand new 9mm LEM P2000 after my 10 day CA waiting period ends next week. I don't plan to use the gun until I take an NRA handgun course but will need to take ammo with me to the class. Is there a certain type of ammo that I should use when I first start shooting? It was mentioned to me that I should only use "brass" for the first 400-500 rounds.

I am a new shooter (1st gun) and am unfamiliar with these things...I appreciate your insights.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Typically when shooting target ammo at a range, two requirements will come into play specific to the range, (a) the type of casing you have and (b) the type of bullet you have.

Your question specifically about brass is about the casing. Some cheaper ammunition can use non-brass types of metal, such as tin or aluminum. These metals are weaker and can't/shouldn't be reloaded. It may be that the range you will be shooting at reloads their spent casings, recycles them for $$$ or just doesn't want to run the risk of you having a malfunction due to the casing. Whenever you purchase the ammunition, open the box and verify that the casings are brass.

There are two common types of bullets, full metal jacket (or FMJ) and jacketed hollow-point (or JHP). FMJ is a solid lead bullet encased in copper, JHP is that same bullet with a hole drilled in the front to promote expansion once you hit a target. Some ranges will require JHP to limit the risk of your shots penetrating the backstop and causing more damage down-range. Typically if a range doesn't specificy an ammunition type, you can use either one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Call the course instructor and see if they require one or the other (JHP vs FMJ). Also, watch out for steel cased stuff... can be much harder on the pistol components. Brass is preferred.

I don't know if your wally worlds sell ammo (or pistol ammo) in KA or not... but I pick up Blazer Brass 9mm (FMJ) for about $9 / 50. Not the cleanest ammo, but it has been reliable for me. Otherwise, Winchester White Box 100 round Value Pack (FMJ) can be had (here) for like $21 I think. If JHP happens to be required for your course, they carry (here, again) some Remington UMC which comes in 50 or 100 round boxes for similar price I think. Never used that in 9mm though. I did pick up a box of that one time for my .40 and didn't have any problems.

I don't shoot a whole lot of 9mm, but that's what I'd go with for simple target practice!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, I know that lots of Walmarts are getting rid of their ammo, but I know of one relatively near my house that still does.

I tend to buy Winchester or Federal American Eagle. Seem to be pretty comparable in price. I forget the price different when you're buying cases of ammo tho. IIRC, when I went ammo shopping last, Winchester was probably more expensive by a bit when buying 1000 rounds.... But my memory is fuzzy, and I was buying .45 at the time, so I don't know if 9mm was different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts