HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm going to jump in here since we're on this subject. I just bought a used USP in .357. At 7 yds. it was hitting 6" low. I noticed that there are trijicon sights not factory sights. I decided to replace the front sight with a factory sight but there are options in thickness. How do I determine which sight would have been originally installed?

If there were options you would have to ask the original buyer what they picked. Hope you know the POI POA is behind the front dot not above it on the USP.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, that's how I shoot. I was firing my P2000 along side the USP and was getting nice groups(for me) and I was stumped, at first as to why the difference between the two.

·
Registered
18,647 Posts
I'm going to jump in here since we're on this subject. I just bought a used USP in .357. At 7 yds. it was hitting 6" low. I noticed that there are trijicon sights not factory sights. I decided to replace the front sight with a factory sight but there are options in thickness. How do I determine which sight would have been originally installed?
Original front sight for the USPc is 6.2mm. There are different heights (not thickness) that you can choose for the front sight, but 6.2mm is what factory ships them with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I finally got to shoot my vp9 for the first time today. Cleaned and lubed before i went today. Loaded up a couple of mags and fired my first shot out of the gun. Went bang but second round was FTF.... I was like uh oh... First round ejected and second was looking straight up. I was a worried but the next 100 or so rounds went off without a hitch. I was shooting blazer brass and brought a few rounds of home defense rounds to see how it would shoot and cycle. The Blazer was shooting pretty consistent but the HD rounds were a bit all over the place.
Should have took a picture of the target but pistol was shooting slightly to the right side. No hits on the left so I guess I will adjust the sights tomorrow.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hey congrats on getting a chance to shoot her! That's annoying tho, that she stovepiped the second round! Thankfully she didn't keep doing that. Tho if she does, with other ammo, check to see what color your mainspring is. The newer VPs all use the. 40 spring, so that may be causing you a problem.

That said... Your sights are off to the LEFT from your Pic, but groups are off to the RIGHT.
That's not due to your sights.
It's either user or ammo. Or both.
Heres a Pic of one of my (better) targets, using Blazer Brass in my Vp9sk. My sights are dead center. But see how my groups trail to the right? Especially the flyers?
I've read a couple of other threads where other users have had results like that with Blazer Brass.
Now, I've still got at least 3 boxes of the stuff sitting here from last trip to the range. I can open up just about any of those boxes and find several rounds where the jacketing is defective. Scratched, dimpled, or dinged. Could explain the flight paths.
OK weird. My phone doesn't wanna attach the Pic. IMG_20180415_023410_1529833200257.jpg

·
Registered
18,647 Posts
That said... Your sights are off to the LEFT from your Pic, but groups are off to the RIGHT.
That's not due to your sights.
He said both the sights are off center but the front sight is off to the left more than the rear, so it is possible the front sight is the culprit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the responses guys. I centered the sights now. We will see next time I go. This thing was shooting hole after hole that day but just off. I might have limp wristed it on the first shot. Probably my fault after thinking about it. But really loving this gun and super glad this was my first purchase.

I do have one question for other vp9 owners. I'm here at home dry firing and was wondering if what I'm experiencing is normal. So racking the slide with my finger off the trigger gives me a very clean and small click. Now if I hold the trigger down and rack the slide slowly I get almost like a "plastic breaking" type click. Cant really explain it. And if I rack it fast with my finger down I get a loud click I can feel in the grip.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I think I understand what you are talking about. Or at least what I'm thinking what you are talking about.
It's most likely just because of the changed position of the trigger bar.
When you move the trigger back, the trigger bar moves rearward, into the sear action section of the pistol. Take the slide off and work the trigger, you will see what I mean.
You'll also see it go over a hump, right there by the trigger. That sound ur hearing is most likely the slide running across the trigger bar.
Completely normal.
Tho, tbh, if ur just practicing the trigger, all you need is about 1/4 an inch to reset the sear.
Is that last sound ur hearing with an empty mag in it? Empty mags can make all kinds of changes to the dynamic of how the gun is working inside. And can change sounds too, since there's more materials for the vibrations to carry through.
If the pistol is completely empty, keep in mind that there's nothing to block the sounds coming out from the bottom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
So there is no mag in the gun and that night I did realize that you don't need to rack it back all the way to reset the trigger lol. I'm guessing it's normal since it's basically brand new. Maybe next time I'm at the LGS I'll try it on another vp9. Maybe I'll end up with an sk...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Heh, EVERY vp9 needs a little brother! Mine did! I can honestly say that if you make that choice, you will NOT regret it. Everything that we love about the vp9, just shorter! Tho I'd recommend saving up for it, til you can also order some 13 round mags to feed into it. Fantastic!
Oh, and they don't have that trough in the finger guard that makes some people so irritated.

Ugh, was rereading thru this and noticed that I said that it stovepiped, when you said ur second shot was FTF. Really sorry about that!

The mag inside was another moron moment for me too. Most peeps don't practice the trigger with the mag in. But it does change the sounds the pistol makes, especially going over the follower on a full rack. Thats why I wondered.
To be completely honest, I don't remember mine ever really having a different kind of click to the reset or the break. I know that my SK didn't. You might try it, at the LGS and see if a different one sounds different.
If you do notice a difference, get in touch with HK. I haven't needed to get in touch with them, but I've heard that their CS is fantastic, but it's better to call them, than email them. Heard that the response time is much quicker.

Anyway, good luck with the new VP9, and if you decide on a SK, great!! Tho, here comes the disclaimer. Once you get started, that HK family breeds like rabbits!! After you get One, there's always Another One that you want! ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
My first hk45 tactical was like that with the giant tactical sights, luckily it was a wrong advertising case and i could return it for a full refund and purchased another one from a local shop.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Hey all. New to the site. Just wanted to post a similar issue. Purchased a new P30SK and noticed my front sight was slightly off-centered to the left. Going to shoot my course of fire and determined what I'll do next.

IMG_1907.JPG

·
Registered
23 Posts
Jumping on this thread: I too received my P30SK with my front sight off-centered (to the left). Finally got a few rounds off yesterday and definately noticed my rounds affected from between 15 - 25 yards. Going to locate an armorer to center my sight.

IMG_1907.JPG

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes. Night sights (got direct from H&K)

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Glad you got a VP9. I can’t say enough good about mine . I got a Rugged Obsidian suppressor to go along with mine and it’s great . I had some Heinie suppressor height sights installed by a friend on these boards and this thing is a tack driver . You can drift the sights yourself with a nylon punch and a vise to hold the slide. Careful in the amount of tension on the clamp and use padding so as not to scratch. I hope I am helping and not insulting your intelligence.
I am supposing your recoil spring is white (natural steel spring color) and not painted red. This recoil spring is fairly stiff. Blazer Brass is slightly weaker in power than Fiocchi andbother brands. Also 124 gr seems to break in a stiff recoil spring better than 115 gr. according to my experience. That could be the reason you had a FTFeed. I had the same experience until I shot 200 rounds of 124 gr Fiocchi . After that, haven’t had a problem for years with 115. I fire 147 Speer through my suppressor and never had a problem.

·
Registered
18,647 Posts
Jumping on this thread: I too received my P30SK with my front sight off-centered (to the left). Finally got a few rounds off yesterday and definately noticed my rounds affected from between 15 - 25 yards. Going to locate an armorer to center my sight.

View attachment 234380
You could attack this issue with $7.90 x 2 and a few days to spare :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
You could attack this issue with $7.90 x 2 and a few days to spare :)
Thanks. Will let you know what I intend to do. It’s not my primary duty weapon at the moment, but it’s definitely bugging me now that the sight is off.

·
Registered
119 Posts
On my P30sk I have the LE night sights. Both front and rear are slightly closer to the right side but the gun shoots perfectly on target.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts