HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I’m new to HK (Clone).
I was recently in Washington state for work with international coworkers that want to experience a US indoor shooting range..
I found a few options near Seattle but a range in Bellevue..
Working for a company that does not allow for weapons in company vehicles or locations we would have to rent.
Short story we rented a HK MP5..
700 rounds later between 3 of us I was in love..
California being a “no gun friendly state”
Has brought me to a Omega OM9 ( As my MP5 clone )
I have Generally Owned Sig Sauer handguns..
I look forward to learning all types of the on my MP5 clone experience with California Laws and 922R rules.

·
Sheepdog in West Texas
1,754 Posts
Can't speak to Cali gun laws. We've lived there twice. I even purchased two FN FAL's back in 1985/88 when we lived there.

But that was a LONG time ago.

Good luck on your purchase. You should like it.

WELCOME to HKPro.

Great group of folks with loads of info and they are willing to share it with anyone who asks.

Reactions: BTAZ

·
Registered
335 Posts
CA firearms laws stink on ice.
I'm not certain about the OM9 and all the regulations here but I'd start looking them up before I let anyone know I had one...
IF it counts as a handgun, I'm not sure but I think there are regulations regarding 'must not accept a magazine anywhere other than the grip' and 'no threaded handgun barrels'

IF it counts as a long gun then there are regulations for minimum length (30"?), no folding or collapsing stock, no 'flash hider', no pistol grip.

Here's a link to the CA assault weapon ban flowchart, looks like it may have been updated to include the most recent infringements on the 2nd here in CA.
https://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

I've also been told not to be transporting loaded magazines without a CCW permit. Even without the firearm they go to I've been told they count as a loaded weapon, as does ammo packaged in such a way that it might touch a firearm in transit. Separate pockets of the range bag and all mags unloaded was what I was told.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
Totally wrong on loaded mags. They can not be inserted into the gun. But they can be transported in the same locked container. They can also be transported outside of the locked container. Most of this BS gets told to customers by uninformed workers at the LGS. As for the OM9 it will either have to be registered or have a Fixed mag.

OP welcome to California.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Good to know, hanging around the LGS too much for my own good I guess.

Last I knew the latest AW period was over unless they extended it again due to lawsuits and the fact that their website was inoperable during most of the registration period.

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
Good to know, hanging around the LGS too much for my own good I guess.

Last I knew the latest AW period was over unless they extended it again due to lawsuits and the fact that their website was inoperable during most of the registration period.
Let's see what happens with lawsuit, they messed up and they know it. It will just take a fair Judge to tell them they did not live up to their end of the deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Everyone
I purchased as a Receiver and is registered as a Rifle that will need to fall under 922 and California Featureless and not sure about Fixed Mag yet..

·
Registered
335 Posts
IF it's featureless, it should be ok for now.
IF it's type II fixed mag (requiring some level of disassembly to release the mag) of 10 rounds or less then it doesn't have to be featureless and is also ok for now.

The reason for the 'for now' is that CA is always trying to find additional ways to infringe on the 2nd and Gavan Newsome our next governor and Becerra our current AG are both very much in agreement that the rest of us should all be unarmed peons.

I own a real HK that resides with a friend of mine in a free state because I can't legally bring it into this silly state.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Welcome... I truly feel for you guys in CA. My best friend lives in Redding. I know a lot of people just spew, "move then" or "get the hell outta there", but in reality, its not always that easy or simple. Job, family and many other factors weigh in on where we all reside. Its total BS what you guys have to put up with in the name of fear and "public safety". Everything black with a pistol grip looks like a death ray to the politicians in CA. They don't want to be educated about how it functions (identically to a wood stocked semi-automatic hunting rifle) and quite frankly they don't care.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just saying welcome from one Californian to another... You should be able to get a ton of useful info build info here. As to cali legalities, I'm not a lawyer, but I've worked in the ca firearms industry for over 15 years now and would be happy to assist any way I can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just saying welcome from one Californian to another... You should be able to get a ton of useful info build info here. As to cali legalities, I'm not a lawyer, but I've worked in the ca firearms industry for over 15 years now and would be happy to assist any way I can.
Where do you live? I live in Orange County but work Long Beach..
and Thank You for the Help..
Starting to find out it’s going to be timely and expensive for this MP5 (clone) ..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where do you live? I live in Orange County but work Long Beach..
and Thank You for the Help..
Starting to find out it’s going to be timely and expensive for this MP5 (clone) ..
I'm in the San gabriel valley...yeah you'll find out quick that hk=$$...but its money well spent to be part of the club.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome to the forums! There is a lot of great information here and will surely be a great resource! It's really unfortunate what Cali has done to our rights, but we welcome you here!

·
Registered
71 Posts
A belated welcome! I'm in the San Jose area....i started my adventure into HK this year with a USP9....the bug has bit and now I'm looking at adding to the HK collection...yeah, California gun laws are asinine...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts