HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aloha Drhillier--unfortunately gun ownership here in Honolulu has gotten much more restrictive since the 1980s--in general hi-cap magazines are prohibited (unless you are an LEO), what our legislature has defined as "assault pistols" are prohibited, CCW permits are "may issue" at the discretion of the Chief of Police (and almost NEVER granted), we have "red flag" laws in place and you must fill out forms and wait 14 days for each and every handgun you want to acquire (even if it's an inherited firearm). NO NFA items are allowed either.

Under a new law signed by the governor this past legislative session, all private firearms transactions MUST be registered at HPD--permits to acquire must be filled out, 14 day waiting period, pick up PTA, have seller sign off on PTA, return to HPD with signed permit and the firearm for them to physically inspect, then they'll give you a copy of your firearm's registration.

Yeah, it sucks big time! About the only positive aspect is that there are no limitations as to the number of firearms you can purchase, BUT you must do a separate form for each and every firearm you are acquiring.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Aloha Drhillier--unfortunately gun ownership here in Honolulu has gotten much more restrictive since the 1980s--in general hi-cap magazines are prohibited (unless you are an LEO), what our legislature has defined as "assault pistols" are prohibited, CCW permits are "may issue" at the discretion of the Chief of Police (and almost NEVER granted), we have "red flag" laws in place and you must fill out forms and wait 14 days for each and every handgun you want to acquire (even if it's an inherited firearm). NO NFA items are allowed either.

Under a new law signed by the governor this past legislative session, all private firearms transactions MUST be registered at HPD--permits to acquire must be filled out, 14 day waiting period, pick up PTA, have seller sign off on PTA, return to HPD with signed permit and the firearm for them to physically inspect, then they'll give you a copy of your firearm's registration.

Yeah, it sucks big time! About the only positive aspect is that there are no limitations as to the number of firearms you can purchase, BUT you must do a separate form for each and every firearm you are acquiring.
Terrible!! We have quite a few of those issues here as well. I used to be able to buy a pistol and walk out with it on the spot with my ccw. Now it has to be approved by the local PD as well as the fbi. At least this is a "shall issue" state still. We'll see for how long. Looking forward to moving. I've been in the northwest since I lived in Hawaii, probably 35 years now. But it's definitely time to go.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(y) but I wouldn't hold my breath--the politicians here don't know anything about guns but they sure like to brownnose their liberal idols in places like CA, MA, NY and NJ.

Gun owners sued and won their case against the state (Yukutake v Connors) and the result was that gun owners did not have to physically present their newly purchased firearms to the HPD (we still had to do the paperwork and wait period but the registration could be done on line).

This past legislative session the legislators passed, and the governor signed a bill that essentially forced a return to the previous system of having to physically present the firearm to HPD registration, completely ignoring the court decision. Of course, the plaintiffs will sue again and they will win again but that is an example of how far the politicians are willing to go in order to impose their agenda in this state.

·
Registered
24 Posts
(y) but I wouldn't hold my breath--the politicians here don't know anything about guns but they sure like to brownnose their liberal idols in places like CA, MA, NY and NJ.

Gun owners sued and won their case against the state (Yukutake v Connors) and the result was that gun owners did not have to physically present their newly purchased firearms to the HPD (we still had to do the paperwork and wait period but the registration could be done on line).

This past legislative session the legislators passed, and the governor signed a bill that essentially forced a return to the previous system of having to physically present the firearm to HPD registration, completely ignoring the court decision. Of course, the plaintiffs will sue again and they will win again but that is an example of how far the politicians are willing to go in order to impose their agenda in this state.
The Supreme Court case was regarding the right to carry a concealed pistol and "may issue" was considered unconstitutional. So yeah you'll still have to go through the dumb stuff with registration. Wait time etc. But you SHOULD now be able to apply for and obtain a ccw. They will probably at BS to that as well. Safety training, and all that stuff. But hopefully you can now carry concealed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't get me wrong--I am all for CCW (or whatever the term is) but I've lived here all of my life and I know how things get done: as an example, as of January 1, 2022 BY LAW Hawaii residents should have been allowed to purchase (and presumably carry/use) electric stun guns/Tasers. To date, NOTHING is available locally for sale and the State is still dragging its feet on coming up with the REGULATIONS regarding purchase, use and carry of such items (not that they are actively trying to resolve the issue, IMO they are just ignoring the law and they hope it will go away or be changed during the next legislative session).

Sometimes the only way to institute change in this corrupt state is through lawsuits (Yukutake v Connors, Young v Hawaii), and even then they will do everything in their power to obfuscate the true meaning/intent of the law.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Don't get me wrong--I am all for CCW (or whatever the term is) but I've lived here all of my life and I know how things get done: as an example, as of January 1, 2022 BY LAW Hawaii residents should have been allowed to purchase (and presumably carry/use) electric stun guns/Tasers. To date, NOTHING is available locally for sale and the State is still dragging its feet on coming up with the REGULATIONS regarding purchase, use and carry of such items (not that they are actively trying to resolve the issue, IMO they are just ignoring the law and they hope it will go away or be changed during the next legislative session).

Sometimes the only way to institute change in this corrupt state is through lawsuits (Yukutake v Connors, Young v Hawaii), and even then they will do everything in their power to obfuscate the true meaning/intent of the law.
Yep it's hard to fight the government. Especially when a small part of the state has a high density of liberal people that outnumber the conservative population of the rest of the state. I wish you luck. I'm glad I don't live there. But given time I think this state will be arriving at that hell as well

1 - 14 of 14 Posts