HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Total HK newbie here looking for informed opinions. I love my HK VP9, but have read and have been told it is a "cheap" HK and not a "to to war" handgun. For that I need to look at a HK45 or USP handgun. I went to a local shop that has HKs, and fondled their USPs, and frankly, the grip ain't working for me. At all. I have XXX sized hands, and the VP9 grip with its adjustable side panels just feels really great in my hand. But...I know the USP is a HK classic and was built around the 40SW round. Then I've read up on Vickers and Hackathorn's comments about the HK45, good bad and otherwise, so I'm kind of intrigued since I think it has adjustable grip panels. Do you HK experts have any opinions to offer a HK noob? I'd appreciate it.

It may sound paranoid, but the reason I bought an HK MR556 was I wanted a rifle I knew would not let me down in a real SHTF scenario. I respect HK's quality and would like to be able to have a HK handgun I could also rely on in that kind of a situation.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
For whatever reason, right or wrong, when I imagine a SHTF type gun, it is a .45 and it is a USP. I do own HK45's and USP's. In a SHTF situation, either my USP Tactical or Expert is going into the drop leg. The cheese grater grip never crosses my mind.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For whatever reason, right or wrong, when I imagine a SHTF type gun, it is a .45 and it is a USP. I do own HK45's and USP's. In a SHTF situation, either my USP Tactical or Expert is going into the drop leg. The cheese grater grip never crosses my mind.
Thanks for your response, but, sorry, new guy here, would you elaborate a bit and explain that response?

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
you need not worry about the quality of your VP9. Anyone who says it is not a hard use gun, is either biased or uneducated. And anyone who sites that BS YouTube video from MAC where he all but destroys a VP9 through conditions that would damage a steel framed gun, then seems shocked when it experiences stoppages, is also biased and uneducated.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Pick the one that fits your hand best and has the controls in the places you want. You won't practice with something you don't like, and you need to practice a lot to become "one" with any gun.

As for which is "better", see my first comment. For "go to war" (as if more than a handful of us ever will), I would be comfortable with ALL of the current H&K lines -- USP, P2000, HK45, P30 and VP9. To suggest that any of these (including the VP9) is less than desirably reliable or "cheap" is silly -- they are all well-built, very reliable guns. I have greater faith in them functioning in adverse conditions than many of the "reliable" pistols on the market.

I won't bother saying which I have, as that's irrelevant to the question of what will work best for you.

Pick the one you like most, and put a lot of rounds through it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Total HK newbie here looking for informed opinions. I love my HK VP9, but have read and have been told it is a "cheap" HK and not a "to to war" handgun. For that I need to look at a HK45 or USP handgun. I went to a local shop that has HKs, and fondled their USPs, and frankly, the grip ain't working for me. At all. I have XXX sized hands, and the VP9 grip with its adjustable side panels just feels really great in my hand. But...I know the USP is a HK classic and was built around the 40SW round. Then I've read up on Vickers and Hackathorn's comments about the HK45, good bad and otherwise, so I'm kind of intrigued since I think it has adjustable grip panels. Do you HK experts have any opinions to offer a HK noob? I'd appreciate it.

It may sound paranoid, but the reason I bought an HK MR556 was I wanted a rifle I knew would not let me down in a real SHTF scenario. I respect HK's quality and would like to be able to have a HK handgun I could also rely on in that kind of a situation.
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CHEAP AND CHEAPER. Your VP may have been cheaper, but that doesn't necessarily translate to cheap. As far as a "wargun", I wouldn't go with anything less than .40 cal. IMHO.:89:

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm kind of leaning toward the P30 and wondering if I made a mistake buying the VP9. ****, this is hard.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm kind of leaning toward the P30 and wondering if I made a mistake buying the VP9. ****, this is hard.
You didn't make a mistake. I shot them both side by side for a while before choosing the P30 series over the VP9 for my main platform. 2 reasons...one, I like and shoot the LEM trigger better than the VP9, and two, I wanted the same trigger across all my guns regardless of what I choose for EDC/competition/home defense, etc. I like consistency. They were both 100% reliable, accurate, fun to shoot, etc, etc...it came down to personal preference.

·
Banned
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You didn't make a mistake. I shot them both side by side for a while before choosing the P30 series over the VP9 for my main platform. 2 reasons...one, I like and shoot the LEM trigger better than the VP9, and two, I wanted the same trigger across all my guns regardless of what I choose for EDC/competition/home defense, etc. I like consistency. They were both 100% reliable, accurate, fun to shoot, etc, etc...it came down to personal preference.

Sound reasoning, to be sure.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a VP9, two P30's and a 45C. All have slightly different controls and obviously the VP has a different trigger yet they all share the same trait- Reliable. These guns are all extremely well made and I would rely on any and all of them in any situation. The OP did not make a bad choice in picking the VP9, it is solid and will do whatever is asked of it. Practice, use good ammo and keep it maintained.

·
Priest of the P7
5,326 Posts
I own about every HK handgun made (save some USP variants) and some they don't make anymore and they're all top quality. Your VP9 will go into the shiit with you just fine if you needed it to and whether it comes out of it will be up to you but it will run like a sewing machine. If I were really in a situation where everything had devolved into complete bedlam I would have a 45 as my sidearm, though, just because it hits harder and badguys/zombies/whatever could potentially have armor on (I sure will) and although 45 won't defeat a plate it will sure lay a wollup on the meat underneath it. I predominantly shoot steel and the difference between hitting a plate with 45 and 9 is comical.

Of course, if the SHTF you better have a reliable rifle (or several) and hope that you're not having to use a pistol for anything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you need not worry about the quality of your VP9. Anyone who says it is not a hard use gun, is either biased or uneducated. And anyone who sites that BS YouTube video from MAC where he all but destroys a VP9 through conditions that would damage a steel framed gun, then seems shocked when it experiences stoppages, is also biased and uneducated.
He is exactly right! Mine has been great and one of my favorite H&K's. Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
If you have XXL hands, you may want to look at a Mark 23. It is undeniably one of the finest handguns ever made by any company. Do some research on the Mark 23. It came out in 1996, but it is an overbuilt tank that will take what ever you can dish out and ask for more.

I agree with the others, you made a fine choice in the VP9. I would suggest you go to the range and rent a few HK's to see what you shoot well. Keep in mind, they may only have an HK.45 and a P30, VP9, but it's a start. Also, if any members live in your neck of the woods they will probably meet you at the range for some trigger time. Good luck, use the search function on the top right side of this forum, it is extremely helpful as many topics are discussed at length.

The bottom line is, an HK is an HK. They are all tremendous firearms that your life can depend on. See what you like, and go from there. Enjoy every minute.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Sound reasoning, to be sure.
Along that line , HK's are designed for Mil/LE entities with the civilian follow-on market later . It took 3 or 4 years to come out with the VP9 . I think the German Police uses it along with some other Euro agencies as well . You can take any HK , Rifle or Pistol and go to war with it right out of the box . Actually that's what frustrates some people with HK's pistols because it also means that you have to learn how to shoot 'em. The triggers are designed to be safe but more importantly to work in just about any environment , and they do . Mechanically , you won't find a better designed / built weapon . Once your mind learns where/when the trigger breaks and the trigger resets , the rest is up to you . The VP is the easiest to learn how to shoot well do to the Striker-fired type trigger .

If you decide you like the VP and want to get into HK's , you need to at least get a USP of some sort and a P30 . They are both different . I personally like the Light LEM in a P30 and a USP , along with the DA/SA trigger in both as well . When you get the hang of the DA/SA USP or P30 , you will be able to pickup ANY pistol and shoot it well . Like anything ,it's all about the fundamentals , it's just that some HK's demand you learn 'em . What I've got on my signature has taken several years of culling . What I've got today I'll have tomorrow , plus any adders .......

You done good with VP9. I've got about 19,000 rounds on mine now of trouble free fun shooting !

·
Registered
619 Posts
VP9 and don't look back. You made the right choice. Don't obsess about details that don't matter. Put your money into crates of ammo, extra mags and look into some training classes by some well respected experts.
FBI, Navy SEALs, Marines and many others are all transitioning to striker fired 9mms. And the VP9 is a step above that in my opinion.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I could have posted *exactly* the same thing, except that I actually purchased both. I recently sold the VP9.

Now that you've heard in unmistakable terms that all of them are guns you can count on for your life, I believe you're back at the point I made earlier -- regardless of which series others (including me) like, you are the only one that can decide which one trips *your* trigger.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I could have posted *exactly* the same thing, expect that I actually purchased both. I recently sold the VP9.

Now that you've heard in unmistakable terms that all of them are guns you can count on for your life, I believe you're back at the point I made earlier -- regardless of which series others (including me) like, you are the only one that can decide which one trips *your* trigger.
That is what I meant...I owned both and shot them both side by side for a while, but yeah we are 100% on the same page.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts