HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A female friend of mine wants to buy a new Firearm. She mentioned a .380 or 9mm. I told her to go with the 9mm. Which H&K would you guys that have wives or girlfriends that shoot recommend? That is a good carry weapon. Thanks for your help. Hope this is the right place to post this.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If it must be an HK, an USP compact with the LEM is the way to go. My friend was a Glock and 1911 shooter until he became a Fed LEO and was issued an HK USP 40S&W Compact with the LEM. He really likes it.

I'm seriously thinking about a HK45C myself. If the P30 comes in a compact model, that may be the best choice today. If your friend will carry a "full size" pistol, the longer sight radius and extra mass will soften recoil and aid accuracy. However, speaking from personal experience, it takes some dedication to buy good gun leather to conceal a fullsize pistol on your hip.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P2000 or P200sk in 9mm
Thanks for the info. When I take her to the local gun shop. We'll look at those plus the P30. I'm not sure if H&K makes any smaller 9mm. Since she is a tiny built female. I'm sure I can find one that she can carry.

·
Registered
239 Posts
1. USP 9 Compact - I carry this model in a 40 and just love it beyond words.
2. P2000 9mm - top notch ergonomics, changable backstraps.
3. P2000 SK 9mm - same as #2 just a wee bit smaller.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've started using my P7 PSP for women who can't shoot well with the gun they bring to my CCW class. Sometimes they come in with guns that just don't fit thier hands, like the lady yesterday that had a Walther P99 that was her Husband's. She shot Ok with it but hated the trigger and the overall feel.
I showed her how the P7 worked and she immediating cut her groups and speed in half.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've started using my P7 PSP for women who can't shoot well with the gun they bring to my CCW class. Sometimes they come in with guns that just don't fit thier hands, like the lady yesterday that had a Walther P99 that was her Husband's. She shot Ok with it but hated the trigger and the overall feel.
I showed her how the P7 worked and she immediating cut her groups and speed in half.
She told me she has shot the .380 and 9mm in the past. But does not remember which gun she used. But she may remember when we go to the gun store.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
If you can still get your hands on one a PSP would be a good choice. The P2000SK in 9mm or the P3000 in 9MM depends on her ability to hold the weapon well. the weight she's comfortable with and such. TJ

·
Registered
196 Posts
My wife is a rather small woman also. She does not have any problem handling anything from her P30 to her 9mm Elite, to 1911s etc.

I think that your lady friend should get what feels most comfortable to her. I think that whatever you buy her, she needs to train with it on a regular basis. Not only for proficiency, but to learn how to handle problems when they arise. If she is not going to train with it she might be better off with a revolver.

If you want a pistol, I would recommend a P30 for several reasons. It has interchangeable backstrap and side grips, so it can be customized to anyone’s hands. The mag holds 15 rounds. It is fairly light. The perceived recoil is also light, something that a slight woman can handle. My wife can put 200 rounds downrange in an hour with her P30 and not feel any fatigue, as opposed to shooting one of my .45s, which she does not want to seem to shoot for an hour straight.

My wife has a Safariland 6281 holster for her P30.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
If it were "what pistol to get for a man", well then we would all say it's personal preference. Well it's the same with a women. What's a good gun for her? Whatever feels good in her hand. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it were "what pistol to get for a man", well then we would all say it's personal preference. Well it's the same with a women. What's a good gun for her? Whatever feels good in her hand. :)
+1. But her choices are limited if she has really small hands. The smallest backstrap on the P2000 is really small. When you go try one out, make sure you mess around with the backstrap options, because what's on the range gun may not be the ideal one for her. LEM vs. DA/SA should be a matter of preference as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also, go with 9mm is she can handle it. If she can't, I would suggest having her practice until she does. From what I've learned, there's little difference between the effectiveness of 9 v. 40 v. 45 when effective ammo is used, but .380 is a relatively big step down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife loathes the p2000 9mm v3 as being far too snappy for her. She normally shoots a USPf 9mm v1 with no complaints. She is also fine with, and prefers to the USP, the HK P30.

But she pretty much hates all other handguns (including all Sigs, Glocks, almost all other HKs(including my P7s), Luger, Ruger, 1911's, Springfield XDs, etc). So thought the Walther p99 is ok, but has not fired it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My wife loves my P7 PSP and P7M8, but can not rack the slide. She carries a S&W 642 revolver for that reason. She also shoots my CZ-75D PCR and 75B well, but again has issues with the slide. She limp wrists every polymer gun I have put in her hands including Glock and XD.

Bottom line, let her shoot several guns first.

·
Registered
196 Posts
My wife loves my P7 PSP and P7M8, but can not rack the slide.
Actually I forgot about this in my previous reply, and this is one of the most important things. She has to be able to comfortably rack the slide. This is one of my wifes only issues with shooting. The HKs seem to be some of the easiest, along with the Beretta PX4s. I think the Walther is actually fairly easy. In contrast, the Sigs are very hard for a Slight person to rack the Slide.

For us guys, we do not even think about it, but I have watched some pistols that my wife could barely rack the slide.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
This is another reason why revolvers are still relavent. A person who has a hard time racking the slide on an auto will have no trouble operating the cylinder on a revolver.

Might I suggest looking at the new Charter Arms "Pink Lady". ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts