HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am new to the forums, new to handguns and the proud owner of a new H&K P7M13. I inherited it from my Mother after my Father died last spring. My father had lots of firearms. He bought this one because the Utah Highway Patrol used this gun in the late 80's. He was a retired patrolman.

Anyway, its hasn't been shot yet (I think). It was new in the box with all the paperwork (no receipt) and the tools.

I was looking inside the action and noticed a copper colored line running up the 'bridge' into the barrel. Someone that looked at it with me theorized that it was maybe from the factory, it had maybe been fired or had at least chambered a bullet. Can someone confirm that? Just wondering if its new.

I haven't shot it yet nor really decided to fire it or keep it.

Anyway, I look forward to participating in the forums.

Thanks,

jlknight
Utah
:92:

·
Registered
114 Posts
let me be the first to welcome you to the club. you have a nice piece there hold on to it and cherish it since it was your dads. again welcome to the board and if you hang around here long enough you will learn a lot.
-Jason G

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Welcome

With the USPs they test fire a round and they give you the spent casing in a little paper pouch (with information printed on it) when you buy the gun.

It may be the same for the p7m13. You'll probably have to wait for one of the hardcore p7 guys to chime in to know for sure.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Keep it in the family. It's one of those things you should never sell regardless of how much it's worth. Being that it is worth a good deal only adds to it's collectability.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,921 Posts
It MIGHT be factory lubrication kinda hard to tell can you post a picture of it? Regardless, it was your father's pistol. I have one of my Dad's it is a cheap Jennings .380 worth absolutly nothing on the market. But there isn't enough money to buy that pistol from me because it was his.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Sorry, for the loss of your parents. The items that were passed on to you will help provide you with years of comfort. Hopefully you too will be able to pass it on someday to one of your sons.

Welcome and enjoy this great forum!! You want to really keep that weapon. HK no longer makes it. it's one of the safest weapons around!! I am sure the weapon was fired at the factory once. There would have been a casing in a vanilla envelope with the spent casing in it.

Your Dad, probably tossed the spent round. The simple reason your family handed it down to you, doubles the value of that weapon! You will never be able to replace it.

Don't know much about the copper line you speak of. You need to post photo's of it to really tell.

Welcome again!
Happy & Safe Shooting!! TJ

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments from Everyone.

I will work on that picture of the copper stripe and post it here.

Thanks,

jlknight

·
Banned
77 Posts
Welcome

With the USPs they test fire a round and they give you the spent casing in a little paper pouch (with information printed on it) when you buy the gun.
A bit off the point (my apologies in advance), but with both my USP's I only received a target with five holes in it. Both guns were made in Germany and the test shooters name, date, etc. was printed on the target. No trace of spent cases.

Also, keep that P7M13! I dont have one, but shot one once and I'm totally in love with it! One of the better guns built, ever.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You didn't indicate where in Utah you are, but there is a forum member that is very knowledgeable with HK's who also sells parts and lives in SLC. His name is Adam Webber and he goes by the screen name of HK4evr. He may be able to look at your gun and give you more information. And, if you need parts, he's the local guy to buy from.

~David

P.S. If you decide that you don't want to keep this gun (which I would suggest you do), pm me because I'd be interested in talking to you about purchasing it (I'm also in Utah).

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a P7M13 and actually carried it on duty for a while. I sold it for more than I bought it for. I have missed that gun every day. The part I hate the most is that the gun is only worth more money every year. I now have a P9S that I got for a steal and I bought it to resale. I think about that P7 and I can't sell that P9 because I know I will regret it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
jlknight

Great acquisition you have there. I'm the fortunate owner of 5; two shooters, two Chantilly keepers, and one NIB. The copper stripe is a good indication that it's been shot; possibly more than the one test firing. Let me be the (3rd, 5th, 10th?) to add to hang on to it. It's difficult to tell an unfired gun from a low round count gun, sometimes from a used but babied gun.

Being 'new to handguns'; are you planning to become more acquianted with them? If not, keep it in the box, clean and oiled. If so....take it out and shoot it. It has quite a different manual of arms, meaning a squeeze-cocker is a different animal. It is very unique and an awesome, safe, and fast weapon.

P7 specific advice can also be garnered from www.parkcitiestactical.com. That is where the 'Cult of the P7' hangs out. Good luck.

SBS

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am keeping the gun and plan on firing it for the first time this week.

I'll keep everyone posted :)

btw, I'm in So. Utah

·
Registered
72 Posts
Enjoy it. I had to sell mine to finance some home repairs and definitely would like it back. I was never as good a shot with my P7M13 as I was with my P7M8. I think you need pretty big hands for it to be really comfortable. Anyway, have fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
definately the best way to start your HK collection. thats a definate keeper not just what it is, but like the above have said it was your dads and thats whats important, he kept it for a reason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts