HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new HK45 V1 a couple of days ago. I hope this will be THE one!!!

I really like the 45 cartridge and have owned several through years, from hkusp45, Glock 30, Springfield xd, Xdm, xds and even went down the 1911 path. Have never found THE one yet.

Decided to try one more time on a 45 and really like the way the hk45 feels in my hands, it just feels the best. HK are hard to find and was wanting the compact version but found this one and liked it so brought it home. I have not shot it yet but hope to remedy that soon.

Think I’m wanting a leather holster for this. What leather setups are you guys running with yours? I have kydex for my other pistols, bravo concealment, gunfightersinc and muddy River tactical, any other kydex holster makers you guys suggest for the HK45?

Mine only came with two magazines and wonder about the best source for more. Everywhere I look nobody has any. Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
First off, congrats, I am sure you will love the pistol. As far as being "the one", I suppose that depends. If you wanted a carry gun I would have recommended the HK45c. As far as favorite .45, mine alternates between my USP45F and my HK45.

As far as holsters, I am a big Comptac fan and I have a Comptact International for my HK45 and a Comptac Warrior OWB for my HK45c. I will say that I have a Muddy River OWB for my P30L that also fits my HK45 and it is nice.

Regarding HK .45 magaztines.... good luck. In recent times its been a game of A) overpay on GB or B) sign up everywhere for in-stock notifications and wait. I have managed to get 3 HK 45 magazines and 6 HK45c magazines over the last month and I have not paid more than $55 for any of them so patience is the key.

Good luck and enjoy the new pistol!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Pound for pound, the HK45 is the BEST modern .45 ACP fighting/duty pistol. 95% of the performance of most 1911's with the ability to take abuse like a Glock. Win/Win. Best of both worlds without going stupid expensive custom stuff.

I have a dynamite Kaluban Cloak I got from @Carrots years ago and it fits any modern HK P/45/VP gun I've put in it. Also a big fan of JM Custom Kydex. While not sexy like some leather, Milt Sparks is solid practical leather if you must.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Pound for pound, the HK45 is the BEST modern .45 ACP fighting/duty pistol. 95% of the performance of most 1911's with the ability to take abuse like a Glock. Win/Win. Best of both worlds without going stupid expensive custom stuff.
I have to respectfully disagree. The HK45 is a good weapon, but for a Fighting/Duty pistol I will always choose my Glock 21 any day. It's accurate, durable, lightweight, and I like 13+1 or 26+1 Capacity.

Reactions: Andyd

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree. The HK45 is a good weapon, but for a Fighting/Duty pistol I will always
choose my Glock 21 any day. It's accurate, durable, lightweight, and I like 13+1 or 26+1 Capacity. View attachment 295662
Seen too many G21's sh*t the bed to agree but whatever.

For what it's worth, I no longer have ANY 45's at all anymore; I have no use for one "in a fight" given what else is available to me. But you do you, sir

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, congrats, I am sure you will love the pistol. As far as being "the one", I suppose that depends. If you wanted a carry gun I would have recommended the HK45c. As far as favorite .45, mine alternates between my USP45F and my HK45.

As far as holsters, I am a big Comptac fan and I have a Comptact International for my HK45 and a Comptac Warrior OWB for my HK45c. I will say that I have a Muddy River OWB for my P30L that also fits my HK45 and it is nice.

Regarding HK .45 magaztines.... good luck. In recent times its been a game of A) overpay on GB or B) sign up everywhere for in-stock notifications and wait. I have managed to get 3 HK 45 magazines and 6 HK45c magazines over the last month and I have not paid more than $55 for any of them so patience is the key.

Good luck and enjoy the new pistol!
Thanks very much for the info. It won’t be conceal carry except maybe winter time hid under large vest, coat. Mostly HD pistol and range use. Will keep scouting for mags. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I have a dynamite Kaluban Cloak I got from @Carrots years ago and it fits any modern HK P/45/VP gun I've put in it. Also a big fan of JM Custom Kydex. While not sexy like some leather, Milt Sparks is solid practical leather if you must.
Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
Trying to collect ALL the HK pistols
362 Posts
Congrats on the purchase, I picked up mine used on a whim a coupe of years ago, had @Marine0303 swap it to a v7 LEM and change the sights. It's now one of my favorite pistols to shoot and the one everyone wants to shoot again. I do occasionally carry it during the cooler months but it is hefty. The plus is that it fits in most of my P30L holsters with just a minor retention adjustment. For AIWB I use a Legacy Firearms Centaur though due its weight and despite the DCC belt clip it tends to move more than I would like. For the range, weekend matchs or fall/winter carry I use a JM Custom Kydex OWB holster. The wide loops distribute the weight well, and the gun is held close to the body so it disappears under a light jacket. I plan on ordering a couple of high end leather IWB holsters for a couple of my HKs soon. Milt Sparks, TT Gunleather, Bulman leather, and Nightingale Leather are at the top of my wish list.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Here's mine... I do have it set up for carry although I rarely do... It is a full-size .45 pistol after all. I actually just put a few hundred rounds through it today and it seems to get better every time I shoot it.

PSX_20210609_194709.jpg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Did you modify the baseplate or is that a newer plate that’s available? Looks like it would conceal better than the standard baseplates.

Here's mine... I do have it set up for carry although I rarely do... It is a full-size .45 pistol after all. I actually just put a few hundred rounds through it today and it seems to get better every time I shoot it.

View attachment 295774

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats on the purchase, I picked up mine used on a whim a coupe of years ago, had @Marine0303 swap it to a v7 LEM and change the sights. It's now one of my favorite pistols to shoot and the one everyone wants to shoot again. I do occasionally carry it during the cooler months but it is hefty. The plus is that it fits in most of my P30L holsters with just a minor retention adjustment. For AIWB I use a Legacy Firearms Centaur though due its weight and despite the DCC belt clip it tends to move more than I would like. For the range, weekend matchs or fall/winter carry I use a JM Custom Kydex OWB holster. The wide loops distribute the weight well, and the gun is held close to the body so it disappears under a light jacket. I plan on ordering a couple of high end leather IWB holsters for a couple of my HKs soon. Milt Sparks, TT Gunleather, Bulman leather, and Nightingale Leather are at the top of my wish list.
Thank you for the info. Appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Seen too many G21's sh*t the bed to agree but whatever.

For what it's worth, I no longer have ANY 45's at all anymore; I have no use for one "in a fight" given what else is available to me. But you do you, sir

Agree with dms, my agency issues G21's, and I have experience with G21's prior. I have seen way too many fail for various reasons. Still a solid handgun. Look at the endurance testing Todd Green (RIP) did over at Pistol Training (pistoltraining.com), to see how reliable the HK45 & P30 are compared to other handguns.

Aside from the failure issues, the grip size of the G21 is just too big for it to be a universally issued duty handgun. If you have hands large enough, you are good to go, but if you don't.....

Also, there is no reason not to run the HK45 with 12 or 13 +1 these days, utilizing the various extensions that are available. A little extra coin, but not that bad. I run mine 12+1 every day. I've done several reviews of HK45 mag extensions, and I've found the one I like.

dms mentioned Kaluban Cloak for a holster. I too really like the brand, however KC is currently not available. He is working on a large contract run, I believe, so the website is off line. If you can find one used, KC are definitely good to go. As for leather, I like Milt Sparks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Agree with dms, my agency issues G21's, and I have experience with G21's prior. I have seen way too many fail for various reasons. Still a solid handgun. Look at the endurance testing Todd Green (RIP) did over at Pistol Training (pistoltraining.com), to see how reliable the HK45 & P30 are compared to other handguns.

Aside from the failure issues, the grip size of the G21 is just too big for it to be a universally issued duty handgun. If you have hands large enough, you are good to go, but if you don't.....

Also, there is no reason not to run the HK45 with 12 or 13 +1 these days, utilizing the various extensions that are available. A little extra coin, but not that bad. I run mine 12+1 every day. I've done several reviews of HK45 mag extensions, and I've found the one I like.

dms mentioned Kaluban Cloak for a holster. I too really like the brand, however KC is currently not available. He is working on a large contract run, I believe, so the website is off line. If you can find one used, KC are definitely good to go. As for leather, I like Milt Sparks.
Agreed. HK could definitely squeeze 12 rounds into the current magazines without an extension if they had any interest in furthering their .45 line. They already fit 11 and could be easily modded like the P30 mags were...oh well.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
For the folks at home, Taylor Freelance is what you're using, correct?

HK has long been THE WAY for commercial, duty-grade .45ACP. Honorable mention maybe goes to the M&P once upon a time. They are the only ones to have consistently crack the code. Extraction issues alone on the G21 is too much. I like the HK45's over the USP. The modern light rail, iron sight options, and holster selection offsets the mere +2 the USP gives. And not to stir the pot, we used to see some USP's choke (FTF) from time to time if: well-used, dry, and running weak ammo (like win white box). No often, but it was a thing....45's used to always be the first to get sluggish regardless of brand. We don't see much .45 come through the academy these days. 80%+ are now 9mm with 15% 40S&W with the remainder as .45 and other (10mm, .357 Sig)

That being said, so much has changed in recent years. Nobody has really moved the chains on .45ACP like on other platforms. Case in point, I just broke down my 2011 (double stack 1911 for the uninitiated) for its first cleaning after 3000 rounds (4x stops for lube) with the last 1000 rounds being shot in less than 36 hours. Now in 2010, if you'd have told me that I'd be rocking a wide-body 1911 in 9mm with ZERO failures (100% lock backs too) much less after 3k without cleaning, I'd have called you F***ing LIAR!

It's time to be carrying at least 18, 19, 20+ on board in a flush-fit mag boys and girls!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts