HKPRO Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
For the folks at home, Taylor Freelance is what you're using, correct?

HK has long been THE WAY for commercial, duty-grade .45ACP. Honorable mention maybe goes to the M&P once upon a time. They are the only ones to have consistently crack the code. Extraction issues alone on the G21 is too much. I like the HK45's over the USP. The modern light rail, iron sight options, and holster selection offsets the mere +2 the USP gives. And not to stir the pot, we used to see some USP's choke (FTF) from time to time if: well-used, dry, and running weak ammo (like win white box). No often, but it was a thing....45's used to always be the first to get sluggish regardless of brand. We don't see much .45 come through the academy these days. 80%+ are now 9mm with 15% 40S&W with the remainder as .45 and other (10mm, .357 Sig)

That being said, so much has changed in recent years. Nobody has really moved the chains on .45ACP like on other platforms. Case in point, I just broke down my 2011 (double stack 1911 for the uninitiated) for its first cleaning after 3000 rounds (4x stops for lube) with the last 1000 rounds being shot in less than 36 hours. Now in 2010, if you'd have told me that I'd be rocking a wide-body 1911 in 9mm with ZERO failures (100% lock backs too) much less after 3k without cleaning, I'd have called you F***ing LIAR!

It's time to be carrying at least 18, 19, 20+ on board in a flush-fit mag boys and girls!

I do like the Taylor Freelance gen3 +3 HK45 extension, however the one I have the most of and use are the HKPRO. Here is a link to my most recent review.

For what it is worth, the HKParts extensions are back in stock.

regarding dms's evaluation of the .45acp cartridge and the lack of innovation regarding it, he is correct. Without a significant push or contract specific to the .45acp, I don't foresee huge innovation in handguns chambered for the round, as 9mm seems to have won the day.

I remain with the .45acp for two reasons, my agency requires it (with very limited exception, ie. very small hand size), and .45acp is simply my preference, it is what I have carried as a duty handgun/caliber for over 25 years. That said, if I were to change, I'd be looking at a 9mm platform, probably P30Ls (cut for an optic), a VP9OR, or a G19 optic ready. I am of the opinion, the G19 is the best handgun Glock has produced. That is my opinion. I'm not a fan of .40 or .357Sig. I dig the 10mm as a hobby gun, but not a duty gun.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Caliber discussions are always interesting... For example, the FBI study basically was a result of confirmation bias. (They new the outcome they wanted when it started) Now generally, I think the 9mm IS the best caliber for say, a law enforcement officer, so I am not saying throw that notion out entirely. That being said, if I was highway patrol exclusively, I would want .357 SIG. If I was out in a very rural area, a good argument could be made for the .45 ACP. Ironically, IMO, the FBI's own brainchild (the .40 S&W) is the major service caliber that I really can't make a good argument for. I'm rambling a bit but the point is, who cares what works best for the average person. If you are a proficient shooter, shoot and carry the one you like the best.

·
Registered
84 Posts
For security work I carry my VP40 with a drop in RCM .357 Sig barrel, loaded with the
extra nasty Underwood 65 grain Extreme Defenders - 2,100 FPS / 637 Ft. Lbs.
It is a very sweet shooting setup with very little recoil.

Reactions: dpadams6

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I'm rambling a bit but the point is, who cares what works best for the average person. If you are a proficient shooter, shoot and carry the one you like the best.
I care because as I alluded to in the VP9SK/rds thread (which I know you saw), that we're at the point where an errant round or even a through-and-through can have far reaching consequences (your city will BURN...remember). I say that as someone who has spent too much time cleaning up other people's messes.

Your average person isn't seeing people shot much less shot anyone. Your average person is likely making decisions on inconsequential factors and neglecting important ones. Your average person (including your average cop and average soldier) have had bad info crammed down their throat. True, if you see 10x more likely to encounter grizzlies or rattlesnakes in your day than a human, your needs may be different, but I've seen enough "Bear country pistol?" threads to know that people over/under think that one too.

Hopefully what people "like the best" is whatever balances optimum performance and hit potential without deviating from the FBI penetration thresholds and merely isn't "muh favorite gat". It's a tool, not a f***ing fashion accessory.

If you are indeed a "proficient shooter", I hope seriously that you are constantly pushing for that next level performance and considering equipment that increases performance capability. At which point, said shooter should be having a real conversation about what really is the best tool for their specific mission. If you play for blood, money or meat...you should be chasing that performance dragon.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I care because as I alluded to in the VP9SK/rds thread (which I know you saw), that we're at the point where an errant round or even a through-and-through can have far reaching consequences (your city will BURN...remember). I say that as someone who has spent too much time cleaning up other people's messes.

Your average person isn't seeing people shot much less shot anyone. Your average person is likely making decisions on inconsequential factors and neglecting important ones. Your average person (including your average cop and average soldier) have had bad info crammed down their throat. True, if you see 10x more likely to encounter grizzlies or rattlesnakes in your day than a human, your needs may be different, but I've seen enough "Bear country pistol?" threads to know that people over/under think that one too.

Hopefully what people "like the best" is whatever balances optimum performance and hit potential without deviating from the FBI penetration thresholds and merely isn't "muh favorite gat". It's a tool, not a f***ing fashion accessory.

If you are indeed a "proficient shooter", I hope seriously that you are constantly pushing for that next level performance and considering equipment that increases performance capability. At which point, said shooter should be having a real conversation about what really is the best tool for their specific mission. If you play for blood, money or meat...you should be chasing that performance dragon.
I am not an average person/shooter/cop, nor would I carry anything that doesn't meet standard penetration protocols. And I have seen bodies drop and been present for a few cities burning, not the best time of my life, in fact really sucked. My point is, confidence in your gear is an important factor.

But hey, all anyone needs is a Glock 19/17 with an RMR and an X300. Why carry anything else?

Okay, so I am half-joking. I agree with you to an extent but perhaps you are perhaps overthinking things too. At the end of the day, the best practice is to take what you have (and are most comfortable with) and train often and train consistently, regardless of make, model, or caliber.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Train often and consistently

This, and the answers will come if you allow them. However I can not ignore that those that put in the most time and lead the charge on pushing performance limits all gravitate towards the same concept even if the name on the gun differs. That’s a big clue

21 - 26 of 26 Posts