HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a HK USPc 9mm last Tuesday! First time I have looked forward to Valentines day ever:wink:

Cleaned it and took it to the range the next day and put 200 rounds through it and it shot very well. Besides a jam on the very first round?

Two questions:
1. The loaded chamber indicator does not appear to stick out at all, I can see a very slight strip of red but I can see the red when there is no round in the chamber. Will this start to appear more after more rounds are through the gun? How far is is supposed to stick out anyone have a photo?
I am going to the range today and I will see if it changes at all or if it more a feel rather than visual thing. I took the slide off and it is not that accessable without further taking the gun apart so I was going to wait and see what I hear here and shoot it again also.

2. Gun Safe. Any recommendations as I am putting one at each end of our house so one in the home office for a single pistol. And a little larger one at the other end for 2-3 pistols.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Welcome!

Don't rely on any guns loaded chamber indicator...ever! It is an extra item that manufactures can easily add by throwing some red paint on the extractor and checking the box called "Loaded Chamber Indicator" on a spec sheet.

Always visually and physically check that the gun is unloaded. If in doubt of this procedure, get a good introduction to handguns class.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Welcome to HK Pro! Congrats on your new pistol budd, train and enjoy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always visually check and don't rely on the loaded indicator but I wanted to see if this was defective or not as I just got the gun. I shot an XD and it was pretty clear and easy to see or feel in the dark if you needed to.

It has been a few years since shooting and my wife had some reservations so I hired a NRA instructor for a couple of hours at the range with different guns before getting this pistol. I also plan to go back with the instuctor with her for her first time shooting it. I find it is better to let someone else instruct your wife sometimes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always visually check and don't rely on the loaded indicator but I wanted to see if this was defective or not as I just got the gun. I shot an XD and it was pretty clear and easy to see or feel in the dark if you needed to.

It has been a few years since shooting and my wife had some reservations so I hired a NRA instructor for a couple of hours at the range with different guns before getting this pistol. I also plan to go back with the instuctor with her for her first time shooting it. I find it is better to let someone else instruct your wife sometimes.
Congrats on your pistol.

XD has a great loaded indicator. As you mentioned, its great in the dark. For me, its a great added feature.

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
Here is how I check my weapons in the dark:
Press Check - YouTube

Also Congrats and welcome.

As for a safe I would get something small you can keep both next to your bed and in the area you spend the most time. One of those quick open jobs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
1. The loaded chamber indicator does not appear to stick out at all, I can see a very slight strip of red but I can see the red when there is no round in the chamber. Will this start to appear more after more rounds are through the gun? How far is is supposed to stick out anyone have a photo?
As mentioned already don't rely on this...and don't plop your extractor in solvent if you want to keep that red paint :)

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I went with the gunvault keypad safe for two pistol storage and security. I have a full size safe for the rest of my guns. I like the gunvault because I can get armed in less than 10 seconds if I am awake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts