HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I purchased my 1st HK today. It is a USP 45, variant 1. My questions are:

Date of Manufacture? Has a date code of AH.
Is this a US assembled gun, on underside of rail is a serial # plate with serial # and HKI-Trussville AL
Does it have a microchip?
It did not come with a key, should it have one, how can I tell?
How can I tell if it is a civilian or mil/leo model.
Anything else you can think of?

I paid $648 otd. It has little to no wear, very tight and bright night sights. Looks like it was carried very little and shot even less. I put a couple magazines thru it when I got home and I am in love.

Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Let's see if we can get you squared away.

1. The date code AH stands for 2007. Read this to learn about what everything means The Symbols on HK Firearms

2. The gun is most likely NOT a US gun. The Trussville, AL should be where it was imported. The easiest way to tell is if it has a stag horn on the slide. If it does, it's made in Germany.

3. I don't think I have ever heard of a USP having a RFID chip, but regardless if it does or not, it is not a trackable thing and does nothing if left where it is.

4. Look in the magazine well. If the hammer strut block has 2 little holes in it, then you have a lockout device installed. You only need the key to activate that, so if you don't ever activate it, then you really don't need the key.

5. There is no difference between civ and mil/leo models.

Nothing else I can think of. Enjoy your new toy and post some pictures!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Date of Manufacture? Has a date code of AH.

AH=2007

Is this a US assembled gun, on underside of rail is a serial # plate with serial # and HKI-Trussville AL

This is a German made gun and HKI-Turssville is the importer. They are now HKI-Columbus, GA. HK USA is the US HK presence.

Does it have a microchip?

Who cares?

It did not come with a key, should it have one, how can I tell?

Looking inside the magwell on the backstrap side, there is a cut out with two holes. The holes should be vertical is you want the gun unlocked, the key is there to change the orientation of the lock. Read your manual for detailed information.

How can I tell if it is a civilian or mil/leo model.

You can't, because there is no difference. LE guns are picked from the same place as commercial guns, then given night sights and an extra mag. Since you got it used and it has nights, perhaps it's a LE trade in, but who knows.

Anything else you can think of?

Add ammo and a training class, and be safe.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Its an 07. HKI imports them but it is a German made gun. If the key you are referring to is the lockout key, my used USP did not come with one, but I'll never use it anyway, it is a two hole plate in the grip that you can see when the mag is removed. It shouldn't have a chip in it. USPs are all the same, the only mil/leo versions are German only and have land and groove vs polygonal rifling. The LEM(law enforcement modification) trigger is a form of double action with a. shorter reset on shots after the first. V1 is not LEM.

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
First of, congrats on your new USP 45!
To find out date code (manufacture date), see this thread. Yours is AH = 2007.
All HK guns, with the exception of HK45/HK45C (most but not all) are made and assembled in Germany.
The only gun that I know of that has a transponder is the HK45C (maybe HK45, too?)
It should have a lock-out key. If yours doesn't come with one, you don't need it. If it bothers you, buy one here.
LEO model will come with 3 mags. Other than that, no difference.
That's a good price.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Damn, you're lucky. 4 answers in a couple of minutes apart!
And even more lucky, they are all saying the same things!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
This cracks me up. Four of us posted four of the same answers while the others were typing their answers. Usually one duplicate answer, but four? LOL.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
It should have a lock-out key. If yours doesn't come with one, you don't need it. If it bothers you, buy one here.
For bhappycattle,

Congrats on your purchase. Before you order another lock-out key, make sure that you flip through the manual; it could be between the pages. Those keys are pretty small, and in the gray case they were generally placed behind the manual when new.

How about here; its much cheaper:

Lock Out Safety Device Replacement Key USP USP Compact

Best,

TC

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
This RFID micro-chip paranoia is almost funny! :) Congrats on your new pistol, it will certainly be a keeper and welcome to the forum. Buy lots of ammo and shoot it often.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the information and replies everyone. I am pretty excited about this gun. I am a 1911 guy, but decided to spread my wings a bit. I have tried many different non-1911 guns, i.e. glocks, sigs, xds and have traded or sold them all, but I love the feel of this HK, so it's going to be around for a long time.

As for the key, I did find the little slots inside the magwell, but I don't need the key, won't ever use it. As I wasn't sure about the chip, so I thought I would ask.

Now I need to find some more mags and a good own leather holster.

Thanks again

·
Registered
765 Posts
I was actually surprised to find out that those little "chip" devices, actually keep a round count. It must use some form of shock sensor, similar to a pedometer but less sensitive.

I'm not aware of them being in any USP models. AFAIK, They were first placed in P2000 sold to government agencies. The chip could theoretically be used to identify a stolen weapon if it turned up later (much like putting a chip in your pets), as well as assisting maintenance programs with providing round counts at the time of failures.

Of course the black helicopters are tied into them, too. :100000: Just wear a tin-foil hat while you carry it, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I was actually surprised to find out that those little "chip" devices, actually keep a round count. It must use some form of shock sensor, similar to a pedometer but less sensitive.

I'm not aware of them being in any USP models. AFAIK, They were first placed in P2000 sold to government agencies. The chip could theoretically be used to identify a stolen weapon if it turned up later (much like putting a chip in your pets), as well as assisting maintenance programs with providing round counts at the time of failures.

Of course the black helicopters are tied into them, too. :100000: Just wear a tin-foil hat while you carry it, and you'll be fine.
The chips don't actually keep the round count on their own. You have to take it to someone with a reader (generally the armourer of an agency) and tell them how many rounds you fired and then they update the chip. The chip itself is completely passive and does nothing on it's own.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The chips don't actually keep the round count on their own. You have to take it to someone with a reader (generally the armourer of an agency) and tell them how many rounds you fired and then they update the chip. The chip itself is completely passive and does nothing on it's own.
THIS^

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Yeah but theoretically, if you carried concealed into an establishment that had an IR chip reader - they would know exactly what you were packing. I'm not sure how sensitive or powerful the reader would have to be though. And yes, US born HK45's have them installed - not just 45c's.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Yeah but theoretically, if you carried concealed into an establishment that had an IR chip reader - they would know exactly what you were packing. I'm not sure how sensitive or powerful the reader would have to be though. And yes, US born HK45's have them installed - not just 45c's.
To my knowledge the only info contained in the chip is the info that is PUT on there. If no one puts the type of gun info on it, then they wouldn't know anything. It seems like a long shot that someone would be holding a reader on the off chance that someone had a gun with a chip in it. Would be easier to just put in a metal detector.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts