HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and happy holiday weekend. I have visited the forum often, mostly reviewing information for my PTR91 which I will probably take back up somewhere in second quarter of 2017. I have kept my eye out on local deals and found HK45c for $699 in FDE or OD Green. I wanted one of each, but since they were out of OD Green they offered me 2 FDE for $675 each. I was in the market for a higher quality 1911, but I really couldn't pass this up.

My questions are as follows.

# Does the threaded US barrel on HK Parts Net actually work?
# Best place to find deals on 10 round magazines. (I am used to Wilson Combat prices for mags so I understand the pain is real.)
# I intend on using 1 as a home defense gun, the other a conceal carry. What's a good OWB for concealment (also IWB would be recommended).
# I remember reading a while back that certain HK have problems with Winchester PDX bullets. Any known issues with feeding HP. Again i'm used to feeding issues with 1911's. But I am very hopeful that this gun will be more reliable.
# Before I shoot the gun, should I clean all the factory grease? I am reading the manual now, so forgive me if I just haven't read it yet.
# Any tips, lessons learned, rituals, or rite of passage I should be aware of now that I am an HK owner?

If I think of more questions I will post here. Thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
3,207 Posts
Wow. Let me be the first to say good job!

- Yes, the HKParts RCM barrels run great as a threaded option.
- Right now, the HK Webshop is doing buy two, get the third mag free. This happens administratively after checkout, so if you put 6 in your cart, you'll only wind up being charged for four once the order is actually processed.
https://us.hkwebshop.com/Magazines
- Check out the Saddlery section for holster recommendations. Far too many preferences to list here.
- I was thinking it was the USP with Remington UMC bullets that were having issues - but a quick search will verify. Pretty rare cases, however.
- Yes, clean the packing grease off and lube before your first time out for best results.

As far as tips, you may want to pick up a few extra O-rings for outside the barrel. There may already be a few extra in each pistol case. There is no difference between the green/black ones.

Welcome and enjoy!

I had to go back and look, but after much research I went with the CompTac MTAC IWB holster, which is compatible with the P30, P30L, HK45c, and HK45. For competition I run the Blade-Tech OWB holster.

·
Premium Member
1,938 Posts
What the hell is with all state. I keep seeing people recommend them but their website never says what they are out of and what they no longer carry.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dang it, lol, I just bought 2 flat baseplates and a US barrel from HKpartsnet. Well at least I can order this for my second one. As to why not? Well the threads on my osprey is not for 16x1 LH. But I am sure I could adapt it if needed. Oh well, this is another good reason to buy two handguns. lol.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
I would suggest some talon grips for cc. Makes a big difference for me, and I would highly recommend them for the HK45c. I use the rubber texture, though the sand texture is very nice too. Just seems to snag a bit on certain articles of clothing. Very good improvement non the less also though. Congrats on a great score. Two is one, and one is none .

·
Premium Member
4,004 Posts
Good job, that's an excellent price

I don't know about the barrel?

Magazines, if you hurry, the HKWEBSHOP has the above mentioned deal going, other than that I generally buy my mags here in the accessory for sale forum....

Holsters-OWB, I was a die hard Raven holster fan for OWB plastic holsters, until I was directed to the Kalaban Cloak pancake holster. These are the best plastic OWB holster I've come across. I wear one with my HK45c almost daily, it is great
-IWB, for IWB I prefer leather, I've tried a pile of them, I prefer the Milt Sparks VM2.

Yes, clean ALL the packing grease out of them before shooting

I have had no problems with hollow points, in fact I've had no feeding or reliability issues with any ammo in any of my HK's. my carry load is Winchester 230grn SXT+P, never a problem

On tip I can give, shoot the hell out of those pistols

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,703 Posts
What the hell is with all state. I keep seeing people recommend them but their website never says what they are out of and what they no longer carry.
****ing amen! All state police supply doesn't want your business. Several older posts on HKpro indicating to stay away.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More questions and an update. So neither of mine have the night sights. But they do have the "glow in the dark" paint. I hit the sights with my cell phone flashlight before bed at 12a - and wokeup in the middle of the night maybe 4-5 to find that they were still glowing. But by 7a they were no longer charged.

# Any tricks to the trade for charging the sights quickly? I plan on using 1 as a night stand gun, and another as a carry gun. So for the night stand gun, it is likely to spend most of the time in the safe.
# I found CDNN has the HK45c 10 rounders for 38 but it says it has the +2 baseplate. Is that the HK USA + 2 baseplate or the elephant foot?
# I will probably get to the range on Wednesday, if not then, it may take a week or so. Probably will have all my holsters and such arrive way before then. I ordered a x-fer and a IWB holster from Arm Concealment. Not what's recommended here, but they are "safe bets" for now in my experience while I research the other two. The quest for holsters is never ending.

I plan on carrying the guns in true DA/SA form. However, as a former 1911 guy (this gun is going to pull me away from them for a while.) is carrying this gun cocked and locked acceptable in training schools? Or will they force me to go DA/SA. Personally, I am OK with the DA in the de-cock mode as it's heavy but predictable. When I am doing DA from the hammer fully down, that's where it becomes long, spongy and unpredictable. Or as a side option, do I just go ahead and purchase an LEM or a variant that requires SAO? Again, personally, I want the de-cock with the DA as a "second strike". But I am open to opinions.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
New HK owner seeks "good job" responses

# I found CDNN has the HK45c 10 rounders for 38 but it says it has the +2 baseplate. Is that the HK USA + 2 baseplate or the elephant foot.
Those are the elephant foot and are a great deal...especially if you spend the $150 to get free shipping.

Oh yeah....and great find!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Question guys, any IWB holster/light combo's? Will probably pick up a TLR-3 and or looking for a holster that is iwb that is compatible with a light.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rather post here again then create a new thread. Maiden voyage was yesterday. 200 rounds down range. One failure to lock open (me I think) - and one time where I was going DA and my grip actually actuated the mag release. But the gun still fed the next round so lol.

The irony is I still have 2 so....that one has yet to be shot.

Other thoughts include.
#I need to practice DA dry firing WAY more to get control of that flinch.
#The recoil impulse is better then an alum 1911 and pushes into my wrist. Hurt for a moment, but way less pain then a 1911 chewing your hand.
#Definitely a better recoil impulse then an alum 1911 frame. I could easily have shot up to 500 rounds but don't have the that kinda time and money for now.
#I will only be oiling it, no cleaning. Want to see the true breaking point.
#As soon as I find someone who does Cerakote locally, I will have them do an OD green frame job. I may just spray can paint the frame for fun.
#If I can't control the DA, I will convert it to an ambi safety with decock and run it like a 1911 or try an LEM.

Local shop has a P30sk used for $500, I am very tempted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts