HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a follower of the site for a couple months now, and bought my P30 about a month ago after reading what people have said about the gun on the site and seeing it in person. What an awesome gun! I didn't have much handgun experience (always shot and owned hunting rifles and shotguns), but am loving this.

I'm in the process of getting my Texas CHL, and am trying to figure out if I'm going to carry the P30, or get another gun (looking at P7 right now). My biggest concern is concealment...the P30 is a little big to carry IMO, but I've never tried it so don't know. So, I guess I'm looking for some opinions on holsters for each, and if you all who've carried each would pick one over the other.

Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Welcome. If you search the forum, you will probably find various posts about this topic.

A quick summary: the P30 has an abrasive grip and unless a shirt is worn between it and your skin, you will probably not enjoy it. I carry a P2000sk OWB (belt holsters) and it conceals reasonably well when my P30 will not. This depends on your wardrobe and body shape.

But it's not just the wearing, if you carry you must be able to access and draw the gun, even one handed.

For dress clothes, I have a Sig P238 (.380) and it still demands a change in wardrobe for proper concealment AND to maintain my ability to get it out when needed.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I guess I'll chime in and keep the Texan theme going. AP, it's all about you. What you wear and your shape matter. I'd love to carry with my Crown kydex OWB holster every day, but it just isn't the best option at times so I go to a IWB when it's warm (March through Oct...and you know what I mean also being in Houston). The one thing I would say is, and I might get ripped for this, is that what seems like an obvious "gun buldge" to you most likely isn't. How many people have you actually identified as having a concealed handgun when out on the town? I'd guess none. I haven't seen any, and I've been looking. After a month or so of carrying daily you will probably lose the everyone's looking at me paranoia and realize that people are more likely to notice a hair out of place on your head than a bump on your hip.

For me ease of use (drawing and secure retention) is the most important factor followed by comfort. I have carried a USPf, USPc, and a P30L. I would say I have a slim/athletic frame, and after three years of carrying in T-shirts I have yet to have even a family member notice.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum/addiction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I carry my P7M8 a lot and its very easy to conceal even in the summer months. I will switch over to my Kimber or Glock 45's in the winter especially around the holidays since criminal activity is more rampant at that time. I do however like the M8 cause of concealment size and especially weight. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I'm in Texas with a CHL, and I carry a P7M8 in a Milt Sparks II holster.
So far it's been the best carry rig/setup to date for me.
I tried to carry my P30L in a Crossbreed Supertuck, but that was rather....uncomfortable.
My .40 P2000 V2 LEM in a C.B. S.T. is my second favorite carry rig. I'd like to try it in a Comptac MTAC though...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I carry in Florida, and am tall/slender. I could not conceal (comfortably at least) a P30. The problem for me lies in the height of the gun, or more specifically the length of the grip. I even sometimes worry about printing with my Glock 26, and I've got a few deep concealment holsters. As others have said, it really comes down to your body type and comfort level. I wish I could carry something a little more fuller size in the grip, but it doesn't seem like it's in the cards. Good luck-

·
Registered
62 Posts

I use a Bianchi Professional #100 IWB. As you can see, the leather extends up past the hammer so it doesn't rub against your side. I usually wear a tucked in T-shirt with a "camp" type shirt over top. Even on a really hot day, it's pretty comfortable. P30, great choice, best of luck with it.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
I'm in Texas with a CHL, and I carry a P7M8 in a Milt Sparks II holster.
So far it's been the best carry rig/setup to date for me.
I tried to carry my P30L in a Crossbreed Supertuck, but that was rather....uncomfortable.
My .40 P2000 V2 LEM in a C.B. S.T. is my second favorite carry rig. I'd like to try it in a Comptac MTAC though...
Tell them about how to properly carry a P2000SK, oops never mind.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies everyone! Very helpful, and gives me some ideas. I was planning on getting a holster for my P30 anyway, so think I'll get an IWB and see how it works out. I'll probably still get a P7 anyway though :D.

As far as body type I'm about 6' and 225...unfortunately not as "athletic" as I would like these days...lol.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Tell them about how to properly carry a P2000SK, oops never mind.
The poor guy drops one gun out of his purse and you never let him here the end of it.
:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone! Very helpful, and gives me some ideas. I was planning on getting a holster for my P30 anyway, so think I'll get an IWB and see how it works out. I'll probably still get a P7 anyway though :D.

As far as body type I'm about 6' and 225...unfortunately not as "athletic" as I would like these days...lol.
im 6'1 and 190 and I have no probs concealing the p30. Its all what you like, and what works for you man. Being in tx, im sure its about the same as here in ga. ALOT of people carry and own firearms here. So to be quite honest if someone saw some printing and had the balls to ask me if I was carrying, I would tell them its none of their business and to leave me alone. Although that situation is doubtful here, if anything they'd be asking cause they'd wanna check it out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been through quite a few holsters and honestly my favorite so far is the $8-$10 Uncle Mike's inside the pant holster. I carry appendix though, a USPc 9mm, and to do so that really depends on your body type to do it comfortably. I'm 6'1, 210 and it conceals great under just a athletic fitting t-shirt. That's one of the reasons I love appendix carry. I'm positive I could conceal a full size USP .45 though just as well this way.

I am thinking about trying the Bianchi Professional though as someone else mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have carried a P30 in an MTAC for quite a while, through NC winters and summers, and have been very happy with the pair. Prior to my HK addiction and subsequent purchases of a P30 followed by the P2000sk a few months later, I carried Sigs (P220R Carry, P239, or P229 SCT). Still have and love the Sigs (and a G26), but my HKs are my primary carry and defense handguns. After the typical run through several manufacturers and several rigs with said manufacturers, I finally made it to the MTAC and have not gone back. I do not like to wear undershirts in the warmer months with t-shirts, so I only have one layer typically. As long as I don't try to wear a shirt that looks like it could fit my little sister (not pretty), I am completely comfortable with the P30/MTAC carry combo, with a normal for me sized t-shirt. As others have mentioned in other threads/posts, the P30 grip is a little harsh at first, but for me it was unnoticeable after it peeled off the first layer of skin...just kidding, it took about a week, and the irritation was gone for me. Even with the slightly larger build of the P30 (over an sk or USPc), for me, it is very concealable with the right combo of holster, belt, placement, etc. I like it as a carry option and it would actually be my main carry gun if I did not have a P2000sk to switch to in the heat of summer or when I just feel like something a little smaller. Same holster, same trigger system, same carry placement, so the transition from P30 to P2000sk is pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
One of my students carries a P-30 as his daily carry. He has several IWB holsters but did Mas Ayoob's course with a Comp Tac Infidel. He is 6' 190 and it hides very well.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'm 6'1, 210 and it conceals great under just a athletic fitting t-shirt. That's one of the reasons I love appendix carry. I'm positive I could conceal a full size USP .45 though just as well this way.
Stookie,

sing it, brother! AIWB rocks.

I'd really like to buy a SIG P210, and I'm perfectly convinced I could carry it AIWB if I wanted. I carry a P2000 in a shaggy and can barely tell I'm wearing it most of the time.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
Glock 26 with a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB (cow-hide) here. Living in Dallas.
Depending on your build (I'm 6", pretty slim) - you might want to consider the P2000SK or the Glock 26. The P2000SK has the shorter barrel but the standard grip is a tad longer than the Glock 26 grip. The Glock 26 has a longer barrel but a shorter standard grip. I have the pinky extension magazines, but I have friends who prefer the short grip of that Glock. You cannot go wrong with either gun.... depends most likely on your budget. have fun!!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I find my P2000SK to be not that much smaller than my USP9C or even HK45C. No doubt about it the P2000SK is smaller and conceals a bit better but the HK45C gets the majority of the carry in a MTAC holster. Flat base magazine helps concealment for me.

-- Chuck

1 - 20 of 23 Posts