HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello every one, I am a first time HK owner, just bought a P2000 and a P2000SK in 9mm to start. Previously I had experienced with Beretta 92, Walther P99, kahr k9, XD45 Tactical, XDM45, some Glock, SIG and 1911s. I hope HK is my last stop. All the guns I have tried, when money is not a factor XDM was the best before HK. People on the SIG form have been bashing about HK's trigger. Well, they are not bad at all, just little get used to, that all. The smoooooooooooothness of the trigger on SIG did not make me shoot better than my HK. To my surprise, I shoot my P2000SK more accurate than P2000. With X-GRIP, P2000sk just fills my hand better with 0 play, maybe that is why. No problem to shoot 12oz bouncing coke can at 20 yard with SK with combat aim, got it every 8 out 10 shots. That is very impressive for a compact pistol.

OK, here is my dilemma with the P2000 now: It stove piped every 7 out 10 shots, while the SK had no issues (which was made in 2004, still brand new when I bought a week ago). REALLY!!?? I did hair pulling research on online, also called HK tech. Here is what I have to do, I think:

Deep clean and lube the gun to get rid of preserve grease.

"The gun is design for better ammo" , switch to +P ammo for at least 200~300rd to brake-in.

Rack the slid for 250 times.

Rack the slid back and hold for a week to compress the spring.

Ok, let's see next week......

Random thought:

Both P2k and P2ksk I got have LEM trigger. There are many reviews to say one disadvantage of LEM trigger is you cant restrike the priemer like AS/DA. Actually all you need to do is pull the trigger half way and grab/cook the hammer back.

Now: I have hard time to decide between HK45 and HK45c. Any help for this? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Both P2k and P2ksk I got have LEM trigger. There are many reviews to say one disadvantage of LEM trigger is you cant restrike the priemer like AS/DA. Actually all you need to do is pull the trigger half way and grab/cook the hammer back.
This confuses me. I don't quite get what you're saying or asking but if you're asking about second strike with the LEM, then yes the LEM has second strike ability just like the DA/SA guns. If I'm not mistaken that's one of the big selling points of the LEM... offering a extremely light DAO trigger with second strike capability. Even though Glocks and M&P's are striker fired I think they are classified by the BATFE as DAO pistols and HK used the "second strike capability" for LEM's as one more benefit over other DAO guns such as Glocks and M&P's

Now: I have hard time to decide between HK45 and HK45c. Any help for this? Thanks.
If the pistol will NEVER be carried then I'd say get the HK45 but I have two HK45c's so my advice seems contradictory. I'm very fond of duty size pistols though, but you aren't losing much in barrel length, sight radius and capicity when going with the .45c

Congrats on the P2k and P2ksk, as far as your stovepipes out of your P2000... I'm sorry but I can not offer any advice on that. I NEVER had one issue with my P2000 and, with the exception of a few Homeland Security folks blowing up P2000's, I never heard of anyone having any issues with the P2000. Hopefully a more knowledgeable member can help you with that.

·
Registered
363 Posts
"If the pistol will NEVER be carried then I'd say get the HK45 but I have two HK45c's so my advice seems contradictory. I'm very fond of duty size pistols though, but you aren't losing much in barrel length, sight radius and capicity when going with the .45c"

I agree with Darebear, if it will not be carried, get the full sized HK 45 "first", but giving up a half inch in barrel length and sight radius is not a big deal for a much more concealable pistol. Capacity will be the same if you use the elephant foot mags, or give up two for a more flush fit.

But lets be realistic, you're going to buy BOTH eventually, just like the rest of us!!!!
Damn you HK, I just cant quit you.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Deep clean and lube the gun to get rid of preserve grease.

"The gun is design for better ammo" , switch to +P ammo for at least 200~300rd to brake-in.

Rack the slid for 250 times.

Rack the slid back and hold for a week to compress the spring.
Deep clean and proper lube, yes. Better ammo? +P isn't necessary, I would ask exactly what "inferior" ammo you might have been using? None of the other "suggestions" should be necessary.

I would also ensure that the internal lockout device is/was unlocked. You should also probably remove the backstrap, and check the hammer strut. If at any time the slide was racked with the lockout device in the locked position, the hammer strut could have been bent, which can cause binding in the hammer spring, which can slow down the slide as it cocks the hammer.

P.S. Can you tell that I despise the lockout device?

Chango872 said:
I agree with Darebear, if it will not be carried, get the full sized HK 45 "first", but giving up a half inch in barrel length and sight radius is not a big deal for a much more concealable pistol.
I would argue just the opposite. I say 1/2" length is less of a concern for concealability, than it is for sight radius. The "concealability" of a weapon has more to do with heighth and width than barrel/slide length. The only disadvantages of more length is when it gets to the point of being slow to draw because of clearing the length from your holster. Then again, what do I know, I carry a full size USP45. Which is supposedly too wide, too blocky, and too heavy to CC.
There's a lot to be said for sight radius. Ask any infantry rifleman who transitioned from the M16 to M4 how much of a difference it made on their longer ranged qualification targets.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Two solid pistols. Congrats! Pics?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You bought 2 great HK's to start your collection. My P2000 sk with x-grip is my carry gun when I am in the states. Great pistol and they do shoot great. I have Sigs, Glocks, Smith's, Wathers and many other brands also and I am sure you will be happiest with HK.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I have a couple of Sigs as well as HKs. The P226 I currently have has the best DA pull of any auto I own. Sig's DA pull seems to load heavy at first, and then ease up a little toward the break. HK's DA pull seems to stack or adds poundage the further you pull. My biggest complaint about many (but not all) of HK's DA pulls, is the creep. I really don't have much of a complaint about HK's SA pull. The single action pull on the HK45s are as good as many of the 1911's I own.

I believe one of the biggest advantage of HK's trigger system over Sig's is the many different trigger configurations. Sig has the DAK system, but I like the LEM much better.

Regarding quality and reliability of currently made specimens of each, I believe the HKs have the edge. Accuracy on both are very good. The ergonomics on the later designed HKs are outstanding.

·
Registered
363 Posts
bordercop;I would argue just the opposite. I say 1/2" length is less of a concern for concealability said:
That is why I said to get the full size for a range gun. I agree the longer sight radius is better, but for CC if your at a range where that 1/2 inch would make a such difference you should be able to avoid the conflict vs fight it. For most people the overall footprint of the 45C makes more sense for CC. But it all comes down to each individuals comfort level for carry. Hell I know someone who still carries a 6 inch S&W .44 for CC. Its just my .02. YMMV

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for advise.

This confuses me. I don't quite get what you're saying or asking but if you're asking about second strike with the LEM, then yes the LEM has second strike ability just like the DA/SA guns. If I'm not mistaken that's one of the big selling points of the LEM... offering a extremely light DAO trigger with second strike capability. Even though Glocks and M&P's are striker fired I think they are classified by the BATFE as DAO pistols and HK used the "second strike capability" for LEM's as one more benefit over other DAO guns such as Glocks and M&P's

with the exception of a few Homeland Security folks blowing up P2000's QUOTE]
You are right on second strike. I mean if you don't want the 100lb DA trigger pull, I can always pull the trigger then grab the hammer to cock it. Any gun can blowing up without proper care, not only HK I guess.

Deep clean and proper lube, yes. Better ammo? +P isn't necessary, I would ask exactly what "inferior" ammo you might have been using? None of the other "suggestions" should be necessary.

I would also ensure that the internal lockout device is/was unlocked. You should also probably remove the backstrap, and check the hammer strut. If at any time the slide was racked with the lockout device in the locked position, the hammer strut could have been bent, which can cause binding in the hammer spring, which can slow down the slide as it cocks the hammer.

P.S. Can you tell that I despise the lockout device? QUOTE]

I gave a good cleaning, even with tooth pick. Rub on some Mil-Tech, ready for action again. I was using PMC FMJ, just for brake-in. That did not go well :biggrin:. I double checked internal lockout device , works fine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I had a hard time choosing between hk45 and compact , decided not to choose , just that I would get full size first....

·
Registered
881 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I purchased both the HK45 and HK45C as well. Too hard to choose, but I LOVE my HK45C.. It goes everywhere with me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I agree with bordercop--all that should be needed is to give the P2000 a thorough cleaning. The grease HK uses on new guns is a preservative--it's not for lubrication, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's slowing down the slide enough to cause the problems you experienced.

I've also got the P2000 LEM in 9mm. I gave it a thorough cleaning and light re-lube when new, with further cleaning and re-lube every few hundred rounds, and so far it has nearly 8,000 rounds through it without a jam or failure of any kind. It has never needed +P ammo to run properly; 98% of the ammo I've shot through it has been standard pressure 124gr (Speer) or 147gr (Winchester) ammunition. The only thing I haven't tried yet is 115gr ammo.

When I wanted to add a .45 caliber HK, the choice was easy. I love the look and feel of the P2000, and the HK45C looks and feels almost exactly the same, just slightly larger. The 45C is a fantastic shooter, with HK reliability and great accuracy. One of the first times I shot it I put a full 50-round box of ammo into a target at 28 feet, shooting from a standing position with no rest, and ended up with 49 shots in one ragged hole barely over 2" in diameter, with one flier just 1/2" from the rest. The HK45C is definitely a keeper!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all. Today I took apart my P2000 swaped extractor spring and extractor from my P2000sk that are known worked. It did have some dirt and factory grase in there. I gave a good cleaning, put on some Mil-tec. Also lightly lubed all magazine springs just in case. Let's see what happens.

I might end up just everyone else to buy both HK45 and HK45c. Thanks for all the input, I decided to buy 45C first, since it has can be more flexiable than full size.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My P2000 extracing issue is fixed by replace the extractor spring. The replaced spring is little taller and stronger than the new replacement (stock spring). I used the PMC today, which was once gave me problem, no jam. Except twice the slide did not lock back after last round in the begaining, but never happen again for next 280 rounds, mostly Winchester 124rg FMJ +P. Hum......... I notice PMC did not eject very far, right by my foot. Winchester +p ejected all the way to next guy at range.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts