HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an HK VP9 from my dad. Went shooting the day after, I noticed that when the slide is locked back, and I go to insert the mag, if I use too much force, the slide will close. If someone could point me in the right direction if there is a thread on this already. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Congrats and welcome!! The vp9 is a great gun. Many pistols will do that if you insert a mag with enough force. Nothing to worry about. Enjoy!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! It shoots awesome. And I've never had the same problem with any of my other handguns... Xds, xdm, 1911...

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
If you can get it to happen consistently, I count it a plus, saves time dropping the slide on a reload.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not so much me I'm worried about... I've been shooting in USPSA since I was 13.. Worried about my girlfriend when she shoots it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Welcome to the World of HK I started with a VP9 then got P30sk know looking for my next one. MY VP9 and M&P's will do the same thing if I use force to put mag in.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Welcome Mitch! I too am new, but Holi-Crap....this IS an Addiction! I jumped into the deep end of the pool buying a Mark 23 two years ago, but I still marvel at the guys on here with a PAGE list of all the HK toys they own!

As for the VP-9, you've already heard it from a bunch of guys here, totally normal if mag-slammed hard. From pistol to pistol there are a bunch of factors that will affect that condition. Tension/age of the slidelock lever spring - depth/height of the slide stop notch - tension/age of the recoil spring, and of course....if you HE-MAN the mag change. I tend to agree with Lamont that it's a benefit for a competent shooter. In the case of the g.f., just give her ample warning and let her grow into LARA CROFT !

Mike

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I like the auto forward on my VP9s, wish all my pistols did the same.

·
Registered
160 Posts
First, welcome aboard. I have a Bersa that does that occasionally, first time it did it it scared me to death, however since then I have learned a lot of pistols will do that so, I don't worry about it anymore. Just keep it pointed down range when I shove a new Mag. home.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
You probably wouldn't like a Mauser HSc :) the only way to close the slide is by inserting the magazine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

·
Registered
85 Posts
I personally consider it a feature of the VP9. On the range, I slide the magazine in to resistance, then push a little harder to seat it. NEVER closes. In field practice, when I need to reload FAST, I slam it in, and it reliably closes every time. I pray I never need to reload under stress with a 15+1 mag, but I find it comforting to know I won't be fumbling for the slide release when my adrenaline is pumping hard.

HK does not call it a feature, but they acknowledge that it occurs. It's on page 15 of the manual: "WARNING: Forcefully inserting a loaded magazine into many pistols may cause the pistol’s slide to close, chambering a cartridge and making the pistol ready to fire. When inserting a magazine, always be sure the VP9 pistol is pointed in a safe direction with your fingers off the trigger and outside the trigger guard. Failure to do so could cause you to unintentionally fire the pistol, resulting in serious injury or death."

http://208.64.138.65/-images/shared/VP9 Operators Manual 07092014.pdf

FWIW, I have never seen it happen with my P7's, or USP 40. The USP is a polymer frame, and I use MUCH heavier bullets in that.

Oh, and welcome!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts