HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a H&K USP Compact 9mm (I should be picking it up tomorrow). I also own a Walther PPK and Walther P22.

Are there any quirks I should know about the H&K USP Compact? Or am I pretty much just "good to go"? Is is finicky about brand and type of ammo or will it eat anything?

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
Great gun, you should be good to go. I bought one last month. Now go to CDNN and buy mags at $34 each. Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually what I think I need most is a holster. I can probably survive for now with two 13 round mags.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Of course, make sure you field strip it and clean out all the packing grease. Light lubrication and now your 'good to go'.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I had assumed it should be cleaned before the first firing. I assume this is straightforward and nothing special is required? Basically just the same cleaning you'd do after firing it?

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Thanks, I had assumed it should be cleaned before the first firing. I assume this is straightforward and nothing special is required? Basically just the same cleaning you'd do after firing it?
Is it new or used? If used, just shoot it. If new, clean it before taking it to the range for the first time. Yes, same detailed cleaning like after your firing it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It should eat anything, I never shoot crappy ammo in a carry gun. I know it can get expensive, but you should be practicing with the same ammo you intend to carry. You know, that whole muscle memory thing.....:29:

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I have a 45c in stainless steel. Great gun, the only thing I my consider adding is the ambi-safty selector because I'm on lefty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brand new.

I only buy "high quality" ammo (basic rule of thumb "American factory new ammo only - no reloads") but I'm not sure I fully know what ammo is high quality and what is "crap".

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I was instructed to shoot the same GRAIN SIZE as intended to carry...but I don't think anybody I know can afford a range visit with me shooting only carry ammo--

I do suggest trying a couple different bullet weights to see if it 'likes' anything in particular....and enjoy the hell out of it!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I guess I should correct my previous post, you are correct USPc, I do not shoot my Black Talons that I carry, ever. But I do always shoot good quality ammo. I was just pointing out that there is a big difference in recoil usually between reloads, be them factory or not, and real duty ammo. I don't like surprises, especially in a SHTF moment. It's all about preparation.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I can't speak for all reloaded ammo but my .40 reloads are done to the exact same specs and taper-crimped to the same OAL as factory Federal ammunition....and the recoil feels the same and the muzzle velocity has been chronographed within +/- factory margins of error....

I can reload .40s&w 180grains FMJs for $7.25 per 50...and to me that equates more time shooting ie better training time behind the trigger and more fluid muscular response during stress...without killing my bank account....this works for me....I also shoot A LOT of ammo....400-1000 rounds every range visit...

Agreed that poor reloads are a bad bad thing....but done right they are not the root of all evil they are portrayed to be....but if there is ever any doubt, buy factory ammo

·
Registered
147 Posts
I suggest you at least shoot two mags of your intended carry ammo out. This way, you know the ammo works with your gun and your magazines. Practice wise, shoot same weight I guess.

Hey travelin, I hope you're talking about more recent Ranger T ammo and not the old Black Talon stuff. Last year, I shot off a few thousand of our old old (say more than 15 yrs old) Black Talon ammo and we had some issues. Ammo just got old from sitting in a humid room. We also had some Black Talon not expand on us as well when testing expansion in garbage cans full of water.
That was old carry ammo that the guys moved from their S&W 4046 to their Glock 22s (I don't know what the thing is with guys wanting to carry the black talons, when we switched to .357, i made all the guys shoot off their .40 cal black talons before i would allow them to carry their .40s as backups/off duty)

Every year, I make our guys shoot off their carry ammo and reissue new ammo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With my PPK and my P22, I'm trying a variety of brands and types of ammo. I intend to so the same with the H&K USP Compact (I've already bought two boxes of different ammo but they are both 115 grain).

I know training recommendations are to test the carry ammo you intend to use but my understanding is that this is primarily to make sure your particular gun will feed it reliably. My understanding is that the H&K's are high quality and not very fussy about ammo but I'm very new to H&K so maybe I'm wrong. As for recoil in a stress, emergency situation I can't imagine that slight differences in ammo are going to make any difference. Minor variances in ammo are more likely to matter when you are doing precision target shooting. I need to research using +P in the H&K, I believe it is supposed to handle it fine but it isn't recommended as it will accelerate wear and tear.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I shot 1 mag of wolf (yes wolf) and 1 mag of the Magsafe .45 super swat. I carry that stuff in all my guns. it's actually a 68 grain .45 ACP bullet... yes 68! The POI is definitely different, but the expansion is unreal. It puts much large holes in the paper, and while the recoil is tame (even compared the the 230 gr), the muzzle bang sounds like a 357 revolver.

·
Registered
854 Posts
With my PPK and my P22, I'm trying a variety of brands and types of ammo. I intend to so the same with the H&K USP Compact (I've already bought two boxes of different ammo but they are both 115 grain).

I know training recommendations are to test the carry ammo you intend to use but my understanding is that this is primarily to make sure your particular gun will feed it reliably. My understanding is that the H&K's are high quality and not very fussy about ammo but I'm very new to H&K so maybe I'm wrong. As for recoil in a stress, emergency situation I can't imagine that slight differences in ammo are going to make any difference. Minor variances in ammo are more likely to matter when you are doing precision target shooting. I need to research using +P in the H&K, I believe it is supposed to handle it fine but it isn't recommended as it will accelerate wear and tear.

For the P22 CCI mini-mags or Velocitor is all mine would feed reliably....and the extra muzzleflash from the Velocitors is a hoot too!

For the USPc 9mm...CorBons or Speer Gold Dots....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For the P22 CCI mini-mags or Velocitor is all mine would feed reliably....and the extra muzzleflash from the Velocitors is a hoot too!

For the USPc 9mm...CorBons or Speer Gold Dots....
Have you done the mods to the P22 which are mentioned in the "P22 Bible"?

Does anyone have any thoughts on Fiocchi? I had ruled them out as being non-American even though I thought it might be a good brand. This morning the guy at the gunsmith shop indicated Fiocchi was good quality.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I own all three of those same guns.

The HK is by far the most reliable. It will shoot anything you put in it, but I don't suggest non coated/jacketed lead bullets due to fouling issues in the PPK or HK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't believe I've come across any non-coated / jacketed bullets yet.

I picked up the H&K this afternoon (one day early) and it sure feels good.

One Walther owner suggested firing "wet" (applying a drop of oil to the rails just before going to the range). Does anyone have an opinion on doing that with an H&K?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts