HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking around the forums for a while now trying to find info. I've been interested in HK for a while but didn't pull the trigger until about a month ago. Using what I had learned on various forums I decided on the USP 40 , mainly due to the fact that I wanted a 40 and the USP had been purpose designed around that round specifically.

I waited to pass judgement until I had shot the pistol a good amount, as it is significantly different from my previous go to pistol, the Glock 19.

After shooting exactly 840 rounds through the weapon, that the weapon is absolutely outstanding. No failures whatsoever. I love the feel as well as how little it recoils. I shoot the DA/SA trigger much better than my Glocks. However I have a feeling this also has to do with the grip. It fits my hand much better than the Glocks.

I can completely understand while one would pay a premium for an HK and why they do cost so much more. They have simply impeccable fit and finish, and are built to a much higher standard than Glocks or any other polymer firearm I have had experience with.

About the only thing I DON'T like are the completely polymer magazines. They have not failed at all, I just have a hard time getting over the fact that the mags are completely polymer. It's something I'll get used to.

The only thing left to do is BUY ANOTHER ONE (And shoot this one some more)! This time I feel like I should get another USP except in the tactical flavor. I love the 40 S&W but I'm also interest in the 45. Would you recommend the USPt in 40 or 45?

Thanks for all the help!

I'm going on a shooting trip with a bunch of friends tomorrow and will hopefully put another 2-500 rounds through this pistol.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase. I have two USP 40's, you dont need to worry about the magazines they take a beating and then some. I also have a USP tactical in .45 and can tell you it is amazing, it makes me wish my other USP's had the match trigger on them. But as to whether to get a .40 or a .45 the gun is going to handle and shoot pretty much the same way. They are both HK's and the same model, it all depends on whether or not you already own a .45 or not. If not I would suggest to get the Tac. 40 to not have to buy another caliber ammo, plus you can share magazines. JM2C.
And welcome to the Forum

·
Registered
854 Posts
Welcome to the Asylum...

and dont worry about the .40 mags--they are NOT completely polymer! They have structural reinforcement in the top 1/3 unlike Glock's cheap garbage mags, they won't crack and split near the feed lips ( at least mine haven't) I previously had a Glock 22 and i can say it was the first gun I have ever owned that I HATED--you made the right choice...its like trading in a Jetta on a BMW...and the forum here has the best Mods the best members and the best catalog of HK info a guy could want!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats on the USP, be careful they multiply fast.
Thats what I hope is going to happen.

Unfortunately at my shooting outing today I had three failure to eject malfunctions with the USP which resulted in a jam where I had to clear the magazine before I could continue.

It was only with a very specific set of ammo my friend had bought which was the crappiest steel cased ammunition I have ever seen. Another one of my friends had the same malfunction with his Sig P226 so I will attribute the malfunctions to the crap ammo.

Otherwise the gun shot like a charm!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Steel cases are bad news...I've had them split down the side and cause slide stoppages....had them stovepipe....as soon as I started running brass smooth sailing....my compact and my fullsized .40 get ONLY brass reloads at the range and both have been 100% flawless since (broke 3000 rounds in the compact yesterday)

Stay away from the steel cases and you should be ok...I've heard mixed reviews about the Blazer brand aluminum cased shells also but don't have any experience with them in USPs

Keep us posted!

Also...if your friend has a newer Sig the word 'malfunction' will be interchanged with many expletives if its anything like the last one we shot

·
Registered
226 Posts
Congrats on the USP, be careful they multiply fast.
+1
Congrats! They do multiply.

If I were you, I would not concern about the malfunction from the first outing. My USPc was jammed from the first 30 rounds. 320 rounds after were flawless. This is how it performed at 8 yards:

Sent from IPhone

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all! Again, the steel cased crap ammo was not my own. I only feed my HK high quality stuff lol.

As far as my buddy's Sig goes, his was actually an older Ohio State Highway Patrol Trade-In Sig P226 DAK. Its actually a very nicely made firearm compared to their newer ones. I just can't get used to the DAK trigger.

I had a relatively new (2010 manufacture) Sig P229R that I absolutely had no good luck with. I had so many problems with it that I sold it at a significant loss. I will never buy a Sig again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts