HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy folks,

Long time HK fan here, finally joined after finding many helpful resources and threads.

I have two real HKs and one imposter hehe.

The P7 was my first pistol I bought when I turned 21 and one I lusted over until I happened upon one for cheap with an ugly OD green lower. Last year, I had Mark, "Gunplumber" on FAL Files, do a very nice refinish (no more green!) and inspection (only the typical firing pin bushing exhibited any damage/wear to warrant replacement) on my non-date coded model.

And I just picked up a police trade in KE code USP .40 this week that I'm entertaining doing a 10MM conversion on and adding a match trigger kit to. Very excited to take it to the range tomorrow. I've only ever sampled a P30SK and HK45 outside of my P7, so I'm looking forward to this.

Finally, the imposter is an early-'90s 16" JLD PTR91 with milsurp wide forearm, milsurp G3 stock, HK21 buttpad, and extended cocking handle. The latter two modifications make a world of difference from the standard PTR. I have an ex-issue Z24 Fero in the post as well with the STANAG mount. I plan to take it to TPM Outfitters later this summer to have the proper paddle mag release installed.

In addition, I have a P229 in .357 Sig, an FM HiPower, two ARs (yawn), a Mossberg 500, and a Mosin.

On the gun front, my main interest lies with European police pistols (CZ 75 Pre-B, 1st Gen Walther P99, and a USP .45 are in the queue). I'm frequently accused of being a German-o-phile (spent 7 years learning the language too) with a fetish for strange German guns and cars....and they are not without merit :tongue:

My hobbies that steal money away from more HKs include motorcycles (Ducati and two Hondas), a '84 Ford Bronco project, and traveling. Also, concerts and occasional forays into vintage audio equipment and high-quality 1:18 scale diecast car and motorcycle models.

Looking forward to sinking further down the rabbit hole with you all!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I'm actually up in DFW, that picture is from a New Mexico "state highway." Apparently a gravel road is enough to constitute a state highway there. Ran into a couple of dual sport riders right after the pavement ended and from there, I only saw one other person, a farmer mending his fences. Of course, I almost ran over his little dog that ran out in front to greet me lol.

I took the USP out to the range this morning. The 20+ year old polymer mags don't seem to feed very reliably, which will keep it from nightstand duty for now. It was mainly the last round that it would have difficulty chambering, so I ordered some Wolff +10% springs and two new mags.

All in all, I enjoyed the experience (have 100 rounds of UMC 180gr through it so far). One can definitely tell that this gun was designed around .40 S&W as it soaks up the recoil like 9mm. I was never sold on the cartridge before, having stuck with 9mm and .45 until recently when I got my P229 in .357 Sig. But this gun is changing that perception for me. The trigger in DA/SA isn't quite as nice as the Sig, but I'm hoping that a match trigger kit will surpass it.

I'm really looking forward to doing some very amateur gunsmithing to turn it from a good shooter into a great one.

Here's a pic, fresh from the range with the GG&G picatinny adapter and TLR-1S.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again all!

I got my new mags in and springs should be along this weekend. I'm eager to get some more trigger time with the USP and if all goes well, I'll order the match trigger kit.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Hello and welcome from one NTX-ite to another!

The USP is the bomb, and if you like it stock you'll enjoy it even more with the match trigger. Its apples and oranges compared to your P7 but they're both fantastic and hardy pistols.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to see lots of Texas P7 fans here!

Got an ex-Bundeswehr Z24 sight for the PTR that I'll be testing out this weekend, still on the fence about a bipod. The standard issued ones seem pretty spindly and probably too tall for bench rest shots. I'm debating about fitting a Harris mount to the milsurp forearm, but I'm not sure I want to do that.

I've put about 350 rounds through the USP and had a couple FTFs still even after the new mag springs. Both were on full mags and the gun chambering that round automatically. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice guns and bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts