HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of the other day, I took my Sig P226 TacOps into my lgs and traded it for an HKP30L. I felt this pistol was the way to go for me. For one, I couldn't use that Sig for USPSA matches without swapping the grips(not a huge deal). Secondly, most importantly, I just like the HKP30L more :) My friend had a P30 I have shot a handful of times, and each time I just consistently was shooting better with it than my Sig. Whether that's an accurate comparison I don't know. But I can say this much, I don't miss my Sig and am very pleased with the P30L. Now just need to get me that HK45c then I will be set.

One quick question to the community. Do HK's like to run dry or wet on oil? Sigs seem to like a little more oil. Also grease or oil for HK's, or does it matter?

Thanks for your time.

-Garrett

·
Registered
794 Posts
Congrats on a great pistol. Read your operator's manual as it gives a good description on the oiling. For the most part HKs only need to be very lightly oiled. I use grease on my SIGs but in conversation with HK factory Gunsmith Sam Bass, he said that HKs do not need grease nor does HK recommend the use of grease and very light use of oil is best. So I follow his advice. Bill

·
Registered
429 Posts
Congrats on a great pistol. Read your operator's manual as it gives a good description on the oiling. For the most part HKs only need to be very lightly oiled. I use grease on my SIGs but in conversation with HK factory Gunsmith Sam Bass, he said that HKs do not need grease nor does HK recommend the use of grease and very light use of oil is best. So I follow his advice. Bill
10-4..
My sig ran slightly dry, and after 250 rounds, wore down the slide on the frame.
Hk's light oil.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
Ha! Wolvee did the same thing, I can't wait for him to see this thread. Same gun for gun thing too.

I can't wait to get a P30L myself. Great grab, Welcome to the Forum, and welcome to the HK family.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Never owned a Sig but love my P30L. Awesome pistol and I think it will only continue to grow on you.

The 45c is an awesome pistol also. My newest choice for CCW. Replaced my P2K for now....

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Owned one Sig through-out my life. We did not get along. Now all i own is HK, P30 being one of them and i love it!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The P30L does great in the Production Division, you made a great choice. I used to run my P30LS really wet, and was shown the way when it was back at HK for service. It will be better in the long run if run on the dry side. I had such a build up of crud in the trigger mechs that the trigger got really gritty. It was 100% my fault, as my oil was causing the grime to stick and turn into a sticky mess. Over lubing the gun really becomes evident when you don't clean for 1000-2000 rounds, there is a mess to clean up if you over lube. Also, no grease needed.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I have a couple of Sigs, and really would don't want to loose them, but I would surely like to have a P30L.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've had my P30L for a couple months now. I still can't break free of my TW25B grease habit on the frame rails. I just put a dab on each post. I use Ballistol on the other parts. I think based on the replies from the experts here I will stop the use of TW25B grease on the P30L.
Congrats on the new HK!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I've had my P30L for a couple months now. I still can't break free of my TW25B grease habit on the frame rails. I just put a dab on each post. I use Ballistol on the other parts. I think based on the replies from the experts here I will stop the use of TW25B grease on the P30L.
Congrats on the new HK!
Used to do the same thing, along with the outside of the barrel and the hood. Not necessary at all! :wink:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great choice. I had thought of my next handgun being a P226 or P30L, after many conversations (not only on HKPRO) with people who have owned both, I will be getting the P30L when the funds are available.

I use a small amount of CLP on my HKs... when I actuallly get around to cleaning them :62:

If you are thinking of the HK45C for you next HK, I would stongly recommend it. I have had mine for 3 months and love it! Also a great CCW imo.

·
Registered
437 Posts
You have chosen wisely and well. P30L has been my CCW pistol of choice for over a year now. You can butter it up with Crisco or bathe it in molasses and it will still run like a champ.. Cuz it's an HK. But if you plan on concealed carry go light on the lube; you don't want back hair and deodorant residue turning to pudding inside your pistol every day, even though it wouldn't impair the function of this racehorse.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Used to do the same thing, along with the outside of the barrel and the hood. Not necessary at all! :wink:
I can't break either. I just never know...because you truly never know, if you'll be forced into a situation when you can't get to lubing your weapon. Knowing this...I have the belief that grease will last longer...oil will dry up faster - so I lube with grease on the rails, hood, and barrel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys for all the responses. I've been lightly oiling it so far. Part of me wanted to use the grease, but I remember my Sig getting all the build up due to the grease though(more of me over use of it im sure).

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Haha This is awesome, he did almost exactly what I did. I really liked my tacops but the p30L just does everything better. Even with a worse trigger it still shoots better than the tacops/226 with the srt . If there was ever an example of what good ergonomics can do it would Be this comparison.

I dont regret getting rid of the tacops either.

The p30l will run wet or dry it doesnt matter. (Except maybe the first few hundred rounds when it's carving its groves) I rarely clean mine but it is usually wet even if it is dirty. The day I started the 2k round challenge i oiled it proper, dropped the gun in some desert sand, dipped it in a pint of pigs blood and then did 6mag dumped w/o a single failure. I broke it down inspected it, wiped off the blood gunk, ran a bore brush through it,sprayed the barrel with CLP and they shot 2100 flawless rounds without adding a single drop of oil again. I didnt have a malfunction but i did start to feel sluggish operation. At that point i figured she had already earned her rewards of a detailed cleaning and the title of my favorite gun.

I clean my guns whenever i know I wont be shooting them for a while, when it gets wet from either rain or humidity, and when I shoot lead.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I owned sigs in the past, Bought during the 90's and they were great. The new ones I've tried have been hit and miss. The HK's I've owned in the past 20 years, not a one has ever let me down. You have chosen well!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Im pretty sure I watched your youtube video as well about the P30l. That is great.

Yea I don't regret my decision one bit, the only thing I regret is the high price tag of the Sig P226 TacOps. Just doesnt seem worth it especially after firing this HK.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The day I started the 2k round challenge i oiled it proper, dropped the gun in some desert sand, dipped it in a pint of pigs blood and then did 6mag dumped w/o a single failure.
Wolvee,
Did the P30L start to smell like bacon after it got warmed up? LOL!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts