HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday I received my new Appendix In The Waist Band holster From JR Customs, AIWB-CDA

It’s a modular holster, which is part of the reason I picked this particular one. I have been carrying nearly 3 years now of which all of that has been IWB at about 3:30 to 4 o’clock. I have been interested in appendix carry since I’ve been reading Todd Greens Pistol-Training.com blog. Drawing when driving, weak hand draw, speed of draw and ultimately concealability where some of the factors when I decided to try AIWB.

The loop has three height positions, the yaw pad at the rear has an extension that allows for two different settings, the tuck pad spacer (the round disc on the front) also has an extra pad. The holster looks very well made and reholstering is easy. As a side note I always have my thumb on the hammer when I reholster, (Im using LEM) so Im not concerned about having a loaded gun that close to my meat and potatoes. It is a strange feeling though but one I will get used too, just like when I first started carrying.

I have some more training to do before I start carrying everyday but so far so good. I’ve been carrying this around the house today and thus far I’ve noticed I need to loose some belly fat, sitting down and bending over I’m still getting used to, however the pistol is completely concealed. I would notice printing when carry my other rig at 3:30 and having to bend over and would have to bend with the knees and keep my back as straight as possible.

At first I noticed the design has more thickness to it than I’m used to but for me it isn’t a negative and helps to really push the gun into the body. I still have to play with the spacers to get the set up just right but I’ve settled on the highest ride height setting to allow for the most space when gripping the pistol, I have large hands. The holster was made on the HK45 and I carry the 45c, so in future I can carry HK45, HK45c, HK45ct (lots of room for the threaded barrel), P30, P30L (should fit) and the P2000 and P2000sk.

Over all Im very impressed, service was top notch, time estimates were bang on (6 weeks), quality and design are excellent and price was very fair at $125. I will update y’all after a month of carry with a review. Here is another link to Todds forum with this holster discussed, Some custom Horsehide Holsters - Page 7

Here are some pictures of the holster and me wearing it.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Nice write up. I've also been following JRC's AIWB over at P-F.com. seems like it's the outright best option for anyone looking to get into AIWB, that way they don't have to buy several different rigs to find out what works for AIWB.

Thankfully, I've been exceptionally pleased with my Shaggy.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Great write up, looking forward to your update later on how well it performs. Planning on picking up a rig like that for my 45c when I finally move back to a state that allows me to defend myself.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That is a hell of a holster. I will definitely be checking them out. Thanks for sharing budd

·
Registered
904 Posts
thanks for the writeup, and pics.... Looks great....

I have one other question....

What kind of boots are those..... :D Looks to be some animal fecies on them there...

Dead sexy look you got going there HAUS..... !!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ive been waiting for this review. You hit all the important points including the unfortunate belly fat and I love to hear there is plenty of room for the threaded barrel!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the writeup, and pics.... Looks great....

I have one other question....

What kind of boots are those..... :D Looks to be some animal fecies on them there...

Dead sexy look you got going there HAUS..... !!!
Cheeky aint we! Actually it's mainly mud but there's sure to be some cow sh1t there somewhere. With 5 cows and 5 dogs boots is all I wear when I go out side, I know it's not sexy but then nothing is about growing your own food, that is until you end up with 450 pounds of fresh, prime, unpoluted beef in your freezer.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Gotta poke fun - only for funs sake....

I'm with ya on the farm duty's my good man, we had raised a few cows over the years....
Nothing like the freshness of eating fresh liver and onion in cream the day of the harvest.... :D

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
How does this holster work for those with a bigger belly? I'd like an IWB for my HK45c.
Actually there is a HK45c shaped indented cavity in my right belly fat.

In all seriousness...pretty well actually, that is until to try and tie your shoes or have a long commute. Sitting in the car my tummy pushes the butt out and the muzzle into my pelvic bone which get quite uncomfortable. I think with a piece of padding on the back toward the muzzle it will be alot better. Wearing your pants like an old man, high up, helps with bending too...
Although from a concealment standpoint it's excellent.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Very nice write up, thanks. I’ve been experimenting with AIWB carry after many years of IWB carry. Good points on the advantages of AIWB carry. I’ve recently started carrying my USPc 40 AIWB for some deep concealment; it is classified mall ninja ops, so I can’t say anymore.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
AIWB for "full size folks" is a little different than the rest. I have been carrying AIWB for over twenty years with "real" guns on a daily basis both professionally and off-duty. I am also far from small. You will be punished a little daily for your eating habits and genetics-period. I find the ability to move the holster around a little really helps. I go round and round with some of the guys who are wrapped around their timers on this. Rigidity and a fixed loop will give you speed, some movement and the ability (via snaps or a J hook) will give you comfort. Take your pick. I have shot more people than most, and been in far more armed confrontations that most, and I pick comfort based on my experience. If you think a tenth or two is going to make a difference, by all means do what you need to.

Additionally, for those without washboard abs., I like a reverse cant and moved outboard to closer to the 1:30-2:00 range (usually up against the first belt loop on the outboard side of it. Having the gun close to the midline is fast, but it only works for me when I am standing. I like the concept of the JRcustom holster in that you can tailor it towards your build, dress, and normal activities.

Essentially, take your time and truly assess what YOU need and what works for your build and don't worry if it is not in line with what all the experts on the net say.

Great looking holster, and personally, I like the OP's fashion sense.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Great looking holster, and personally, I like the OP's fashion sense.
:)

Thanks for the pictures Nyeti. I had observed the the system tents to gravitate naturaly to a reverse when seated. I really liked your reverse cant mag carrier, I will have to look into one of those.

I'm going to try carrying outside the first belt loop to see how that feels, thus far it's been all 12:30-1:00.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cheeky aint we! Actually it's mainly mud but there's sure to be some cow sh1t there somewhere. With 5 cows and 5 dogs boots is all I wear when I go out side, I know it's not sexy but then nothing is about growing your own food, that is until you end up with 450 pounds of fresh, prime, unpoluted beef in your freezer.
When's the cookout??? lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts