HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FRC,

Just joined; been lurking for about 6 months, and a guy at the range I belong to (Targetmaster, PA) has been bugging me to sign up and join the community.

Well, took delivery of my first pistol yesterday, HK45 that I've been eyeing for way too long. I've owned a couple small-bore rifles over the years, and shot competitively as a lil youngin' on the old ruger 1022. Been shooting regularly on a variety of pistols and rental smg's at the local range for the past few years, and finally settled on the HK45.

One quick question before I end my "hello all"; I've heard that I should disassemble and remove the factory greasing before first firing and break-in, and that I should re-lube with something like Rem-oil or Hoppy's. Something about the factory greasing being to thick and overly lubed. Is this true? Sounds odd, but also in a way, it makes sense if something thicker is used from the factory since they can't know how long it will be time-wise from manufacture-to-first firing.

Anyway, Hi. Oh yeah, Got serial #314 on the HK45. If anyone is still looking for a sub-500#, Targetmaster has a couple, including the poker-ish "#456"

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's a good idea to clean any weapon before firing it. Yes, it will remove any packing grease/preservatives that may be present, plus it gives you a chance to inspect the working parts of the firearm.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a good idea to clean any weapon before firing it. Yes, it will remove any packing grease/preservatives that may be present, plus it gives you a chance to inspect the working parts of the firearm.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome....If I may press further, without starting a forum debate, what's the preferred lubricant for HK pistols. I've always heard RemOil "for everything", but a guy at work is all hopped up on "Hoppy's". Is it apples and oranges, or just apples to different apples, in regards to general lube? What do you all use? Your pistols, service and otherwise, obviously are meticulously maintained....what do you all use?

I always used RemOil in my old small-bore days, but that's like saying I always used 10w30 in my chevy small-block days. I honestly don't know if there's a better or worse lube to use for my take-down-and-lubes.

Thanks a bunch,
V_P

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new HK45!

Any major lube is fine for the HK as these guns are not picky. I have been using Weapon Shield CLP for my cleaning and lube on all my guns and it is the best stuff available IMO.

http://www.weaponshield.com/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome to the PRO

ValhallaPrime- I agree that the commercially available lubes are fine. Rem, Hoppes, etc. I currently use Militec 1. http://www.militec1.com/
Thanks for the Heads Up about the HK45s at Targetmaster. I will have to stop in and take a look this weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts