HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! Just wanted to introduce myself to the community; I bought my first HK (which is also my first gun) last weekend, and it's an HK USP9 SD. Really excited about taking it to the range range this weekend! Also, I'm looking for a nice belt holster; does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Welcome and congrats! I have the .45 tac,it is AMAZING! I'm sure you will love your's!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Great pistol and welcome, but the USP 9SD is not a Tactical. Referring to it as one is incorrect. It does not have a match trigger, o-ring barrel, and of course, it does not say "Tactical" on the slide. Regardless, nice pistol and welcome.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcomes everybody! Just picked up a couple boxes of Winchester White Box from Academy last night, since that's all they had in stock. I'm worried that it might be "dirty"; does anyone have any recommendations on ammo?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about that; that's why I put USP9SD in parentheses next to USP Tactical. The guy I bought it from at the gun show had it labeled as "USP Tactical" although I definitely knew there were some differences. When I asked him what the differences were between it and the .45 tactical right next to it, he said there weren't any besides caliber. Am I missing out not having the o-ring barrel and the match trigger?

Great pistol and welcome, but the USP 9SD is not a Tactical. Referring to it as one is incorrect. It does not have a match trigger, o-ring barrel, and of course, it does not say "Tactical" on the slide. Regardless, nice pistol and welcome.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Unfortunately, some gun show FFL's use questionable sales tactics. The USP 9SD is more of a regular USP with a threaded barrel. That's why I think HK didn't apply the "Match" label to it.

The good news is that your pistol is ready for a suppressor. ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately, some gun show FFL's use questionable sales tactics. The USP 9SD is more of a regular USP with a threaded barrel. That's why I think HK didn't apply the "Match" label to it.

The good news is that your pistol is ready for a suppressor. ;)
After realizing what I missed out on, I've had a bit of buyer's remorse since the gun show. Although I got a pretty good deal on the gun ($799), they also had a USP Tactical in 40S&W for the same price. However, I'm definitely pretty green when it comes to handguns, so I think the 9mm might be a better introductory caliber. Besides, I can always pick up a true Tactical later on, right?

·
Registered
134 Posts
After realizing what I missed out on, I've had a bit of buyer's remorse since the gun show. Although I got a pretty good deal on the gun ($799), they also had a USP Tactical in 40S&W for the same price. However, I'm definitely pretty green when it comes to handguns, so I think the 9mm might be a better introductory caliber. Besides, I can always pick up a true Tactical later on, right?
You're not missing out on anything. I have a SD 9 and a USP CT w/ a "match trigger and o ring." I don't notice any difference. I like my SD 9 better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcomes everybody! Just picked up a couple boxes of Winchester White Box from Academy last night, since that's all they had in stock. I'm worried that it might be "dirty"; does anyone have any recommendations on ammo?
wwb is crap. it's dirty, it's smoky. try speer lawman, or if you really want to have some fun, get ammo from www.doubletapammo.com

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry about that; that's why I put USP9SD in parentheses next to USP Tactical. The guy I bought it from at the gun show had it labeled as "USP Tactical" although I definitely knew there were some differences. When I asked him what the differences were between it and the .45 tactical right next to it, he said there weren't any besides caliber. Am I missing out not having the o-ring barrel and the match trigger?
you're definitely missing out on the match trigger. it makes a big difference over the standard usp trigger. as for the o-ring barrel, who knows if that helps enough for you to notice. maybe on a bench rest, but probably not offhand.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Gun shows are not a good place in general for a novice. You tend to end up with whatever the guy on the other side of the table thinks you will buy and not necessarily the best firearm for you personally.

All that being said, you paid a fair price for a good pistol. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot so you will be able to shoot it more and enjoy it.

A 40S&W Tactical at the same price would still cost you more in ammo. When you decide to put a suppressor on, that 9mm will serve you well if you get an AAC or SWR can for it. 40S&W suppressors are a little hard to find and while they perform well they won't beat a modern AAC or SWR 9mm model.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
The match trigger is nice but I shoot almost as well with my carry USPC .45 as I do any of the pistols with match triggers. I think that has more to do with sight radius at my age than anything although the match trigger is very nice. As nice as the match trigger is though, I have grown so fond of the LEM V1 trigger that I actually prefer it over the match trigger now, and your 9SD most certainly can be converted to either the match trigger or the LEM trigger so you are not missing out on anything really.
As to the o-ring, IMO sales marketing. Unless you shoot from a machine rest I doubt anyone could tell any difference between an o-ringed barrel and one without. My USPC .45 "CT" clone is just as accurate with its non-o-ringed factory barrel as it is with the HK CT barrel which is o-ringed. The Jarvis barrel that I had for it at first was not o-ringed and I sent it back and had them o-ring it for kicks and giggles. You guessed, o-ring or not, not one lick of difference in accuracy even when shot from a solid bench rest, although the gun was hand held and not in a machine rest.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WOW. JUST WOW.

Gun shows are not a good place in general for a novice. You tend to end up with whatever the guy on the other side of the table thinks you will buy and not necessarily the best firearm for you personally.

All that being said, you paid a fair price for a good pistol. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot so you will be able to shoot it more and enjoy it.

A 40S&W Tactical at the same price would still cost you more in ammo. When you decide to put a suppressor on, that 9mm will serve you well if you get an AAC or SWR can for it. 40S&W suppressors are a little hard to find and while they perform well they won't beat a modern AAC or SWR 9mm model.
Took out my USP9SD for her maiden firing this weekend, and all I can say is WOW. WOW. :eek: This was my first time even firing a handgun, so I wasn't expecting much, but I could not believe how incredibly accurate it was even on the first shot. To make sure I had a basis for comparison, my friends brought a Sig P226 Navy (9mm), a USP Compact (9mm), a snub nosed .38 special, and a Beretta 96 (40 S&W). Here are my results:

1) 38 Special: Even though it was laser sighted, I don't think I even hit the target at 15 yards. That recoil was just too much, and the trigger pull was really heavy.

2) USP Compact: I liked the leaner grip and the white-dot sights, but it was a lot snappier than it's bigger brother, and harder to place quick follow-up shots. At 15 and 25 yards, most of my shots landed in the green of the target, but I wasn't able to place any in the bullseye.

3) Beretta 96: I like the heft of this gun, and the smooth action of the slide, but I was all over the place when it came to placing shots. About half of my shots were outside the green, and I didn't come close to the bullseye. Plus, it had the tendency to eject casings straight up in the air and into my shirt--not fun!

4) Sig P226 Navy: Truly excellent; the only one that could come close to the USP9 SD. The grip is fantastic, and the recoil is very composed; it was very easy to place follow-up shots. I was able to land several in the bullseye. I wouldn't mind owning one of these!

But the Winner? The USP9 SD by a LONGSHOT! My friends agreed that it was an absolute joy to fire, and freakily accurate. Considering my complete inexperience, I was expecting my results to look like those of the Beretta or the 38 Special at best! I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I pulled my first target; my groupings were tight and accurate, and they only got better from there! This is truly a testament to H&K; if they can make a neophyte like me look this good, they have earned every bit of their world renown.

·
Registered
27 Posts
glad to hear you like it!! i have a uspc .40, but wouldn't mind a 9mm less expensive for range shooting. you made a great choice and i'm glad to see that some of the evil that lurks at the gun shows didn't get to you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Uebermind, sweet first gun :)

I am a bit jealous though. I bought the same pistol, the 9SD, back in November, brand new. (not my first gun, but my first Hk).

It still has not been shot.

I refuse to shoot the gun unsuppressed, ever. Once my approval comes back from the BATF, I'll go pick up my suppressor and get to shooting!

I paid $850 for mine, so you did get a decent deal on yours.

Oh, and don't worry about the o-ring barrel, this is not needed on a 9mm. And as others have explained, the trigger is optional. I can't offer my feedback as I have never shot the weapon. :( Neither of these make a weapon truly tactical, as only the person behind the trigger can do that! :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Uebermind, sweet first gun :)

I am a bit jealous though. I bought the same pistol, the 9SD, back in November, brand new. (not my first gun, but my first Hk).

It still has not been shot.

I refuse to shoot the gun unsuppressed, ever. Once my approval comes back from the BATF, I'll go pick up my suppressor and get to shooting!

I paid $850 for mine, so you did get a decent deal on yours.

Oh, and don't worry about the o-ring barrel, this is not needed on a 9mm. And as others have explained, the trigger is optional. I can't offer my feedback as I have never shot the weapon. :( Neither of these make a weapon truly tactical, as only the person behind the trigger can do that! :)

Oh man Crane, you need to take that 9SD to the range, it wants to be fired. Is there a reason why you won't fire it unsuppressed? What kind of suppressor are you getting?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not a real reason, no. More for my own ammusement. I have plenty of other guns to shoot while I wait.

I purchased an Advanced Armaments EVO suppressor. I just can't possess it yet. :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts