HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was looking around and noticed other than the typical striaght line milling done to the USC, Ive only ever saw staggered holes for vents. Now i know when making the swap to a UMP, youre shooting for as close a copy as possible. But why not go original? Anyone ever mill the vents, using like 1/8" diameter, inch long vents, running at 45degrees? cheesy? too difficult to mill? Any opinions/Photoshops?

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Not cheesy at all man. People have talked about it in the past (I think) but no one has ever done it. I'm more of a purist so it's not my thing, but I applaude and praise creativity. Without it, I think we'd have a tough time taking steps forward.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think frank zappa once said that :wink:

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"

Back on topic, were you thinking having it look something like the angle vents for MP5's and HK53's? If so, that might be kinda cool, definitely different.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The angel vents are exactly what im talking about! Maybe ill mock up a piece and see what i can come up with!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Was it the 91 that had angled vents in a few very rare cases? There might be pictures of this to give you an idea of how they would look.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I like it. Rock it out mang

·
Registered
765 Posts
I had actually considered doing something like this with an old SL8 forend - the original gray ones without ventilation.

It's your gun. Unless you built it to sell to some purist, do what feels good!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Im not a fan of the pic you made but if there was a fourth vent to the rear it would look better IMO.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I did the staggered 5-hole 1/2" vents in my USC/UMP conversion, but I'm by no means a purist, I like my guns how I want them :D

REALLY old pic, but it shows off the vent holes really well:

What she currently looks like:

·
Registered
278 Posts
This is a quick paint pic i made of the idea. Whatcha think?

Pretty crude but what can ya do haha
You know that actually looks pretty sweet. I try to stick to the purist route, but if it were possible to swap out the front section on these guys, I'd have one standard and do the other like what you drew. I'm with S5T too, one more vent and it would look even better.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
F22, I like it's current configuration.

·
Registered
201 Posts
When I zoomed in on the picture it has " Raptor" and found it on the Rat Worx USA page. Said it was made by Manticore Arms.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Manticore arms makes things that arent for the sig556? Lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought I saw a picture on here somewhere where someone had put what looked like an SL8 or G36 forend on a UMP conversion, it looked interesting, cant find it now though. I like the vent idea, i havent touched anything on my conversion except what it took to get it to work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts