HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've acquired a new to me transferable mp5 a2. i dont know a lot about the gun, it has the side mag release, im a leftie and would like to get ambi selectors and see, if possible, to get a select fire group (navy 4 pos group). is that even possible with my old gun?

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Transferrable with a registered sear or transferrable as a registered receiver would be the first question. The Form 4 will provide your answer. It sounds like you have a SEF fire control unit. By "side mag release" I assume you mean it has a push button mag release and no paddle. See what your paperwork says.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Transferrable with a registered sear or transferrable as a registered receiver would be the first question. The Form 4 will provide your answer. It sounds like you have a SEF fire control unit. By "side mag release" I assume you mean it has a push button mag release and no paddle. See what your paperwork says.
its a registered receiver not a sear. and yes push button side mag release. not the paddle. im still learning about all the nomenclature for these guns.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Congratulations sbchero and welcome to the community.
Posting several photographs will help us answer a lot of
your questions.
Jon

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
its a registered receiver not a sear. and yes push button side mag release. not the paddle. im still learning about all the nomenclature for these guns.
If its a registered receiver with a push pin swing down trigger group you can change to any pack/housing you want generally speaking... If it has a shelf then it uses an unregistered conversion device and the waters get murky fast...
http://www.hkpro.com/index.php?opti...version-of-hk-firearms&catid=4:special-topics

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Congratulations sbchero and welcome to the community.
Posting several photographs will help us answer a lot of
your questions.
Jon
mp5.jpg
lets hope that works.

If its a registered receiver with a push pin swing down trigger group you can change to any pack/housing you want generally speaking... If it has a shelf then it uses an unregistered conversion device and the waters get murky fast...
The Complete Reference on the Legal NFA Conversion of HK Firearms
thanks for the link. that was a good read.

its currently in atf jail now but its at a shooting range so i can play.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
The first photo shows a metal trigger group housing with no front push pin so your gun has the common semi-shelf configuration. With a registered receiver this means there is an unregistered auto sear/trip inside the pack - which means that your pack is married to your gun. So it doesn't look like ambi controls are going to be possible in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The first photo shows a metal trigger group housing with no front push pin so your gun has the common semi-shelf configuration. With a registered receiver this means there is an unregistered auto sear/trip inside the pack - which means that your pack is married to your gun. So it doesn't look like ambi controls are going to be possible in my opinion.
Correct

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,582 Posts
Nice Colt!

.... and congratulations on the MP5 sir!

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Nice gun, but please take that crappy airsoft UTG foregrip off of you 20k+ gun.

Look into an HK or B&T foregrip if you must have one.

Anyway there are several smiths that specialize in HKs that could install a paddle mag release.

Look into TSC machine, TPM Outfitters, or Michael's Machines.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice gun, but please take that crappy airsoft UTG foregrip off of you 20k+ gun.

Look into an HK or B&T foregrip if you must have one.

Anyway there are several smiths that specialize in HKs that could install a paddle mag release.

Look into TSC machine, TPM Outfitters, or Michael's Machines.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
yes i know i hate utg garbage, it came with the gun. its in jail now so its a bit difficult to work on it.

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,582 Posts
HK23EK more fun!

... but yeah, I'm eventually getting a M16.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i appreciate the info. this is the type of stuff i'm trying to learn. if its not possible ill still have fun.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Congrats and nice little collection you have there, where did you find the HK RR gun at if you don't mind me asking.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I think you can have ambi controls but it would be a bit of a work. The key thing to understand is your trigger "box" or "frame" combined with an unserialized "catch" or "auto sear" (folks use different language) and the firearm -- all together -- are the machine gun. The risk comes in separating any of the three elements and potentially creating two machine guns (one of which is "new," unregistered, and illegal). The option I believe you have is to take your trigger box to a suitable HK gunsmith and have it modified to accept ambi parts. You would need to be sure you reused your existing auto sear (or catch). In this scenario you have not separated the elements of the machine gun or created anything new. One potential issue is where your gun is engraved, if modifying your trigger box for ambi (cutting the selector hole bigger) damages the engraving I think you are out of luck. I am not a lawyer or SOT, and not everyone would agree with what I propose, but I would be comfortable with it.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I think you can have ambi controls but it would be a bit of a work. The key thing to understand is your trigger "box" or "frame" combined with an unserialized "catch" or "auto sear" (folks use different language) and the firearm -- all together -- are the machine gun. The risk comes in separating any of the three elements and potentially creating two machine guns (one of which is "new," unregistered, and illegal). The option I believe you have is to take your trigger box to a suitable HK gunsmith and have it modified to accept ambi parts. You would need to be sure you reused your existing auto sear (or catch). In this scenario you have not separated the elements of the machine gun or created anything new. One potential issue is where your gun is engraved, if modifying your trigger box for ambi (cutting the selector hole bigger) damages the engraving I think you are out of luck. I am not a lawyer or SOT, and not everyone would agree with what I propose, but I would be comfortable with it.
GPSIG - I wondered if this would be an option but didn't offer it due to my uncertainty. I know boxes can be converted to ambi as long as there aren't engraving issues. What I was unsure about was whether the unregistered auto sear could be retained. (I have a DLO box of course.) This could be an interesting way out.

My DLO is out for conversion to 0-1-2-F...

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Congratulations on the acquisition. I would recommend taking that firearm to school, best around is Teufelshund Tactical. Look up their page on here and join us, you won't regret it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts