HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and pulled the trigger, so to speak. Let me first say, I had no intention of buying a P30. None whatsoever! I was waiting on the Sig p250. After specs came out and questions were cleared up, I decided Sig P250 wouldn't be for me. I was thinking that may be the gun that replaces the G19 I carry.
Back to the P30. In another thread, I asked the operator of a P30 why he thought it was head and shoulders above the P2000 or USPc for that matter. I went and had to fondle one. Brought along a P226R for comparison.

First impressions...the grip is as good as they say. Better, since I don't believe anyone mentioned the stippling is very good for a nice positive hold. Not as agressive as the USPc on the front/back straps, but much better than the P2000 or USPc on the sides! I Like the finger grooves also, as they help purchase around the front strap. Nice blend here.
Better than anything I've ever felt. Initially I don't see the need for a stickier substance on the sides like the USPc or P2000, such as Decal grip. Not required here.

Accuracy - I will shoot it either today or tomorrow and will report back.

Typical HK quality, and I think HK addressed my issues with the Slide release of the P2000. It's not the same profile as the P2000. It's slimmer and seems more recessed in the frame. The is also no noticeable play on the right side, like the P2000. It doesn't flop around like the P2000.

Trigger - DA pull is smooth. Not heavier than the P226 or USPc, and much smoother than the USPc. No kidding as good as the P226! Not sure where the gripes are, or maybe I have an exceptionally good pistol. There is no stacking or felt burrs. DA pulls through like on ball bearings.
On my USPc you can feel where the trigger bar rubs against the frame. Not here. During disassembly, the frame/trigger bar area is much better/cleaner than the USPc. Looks like more care has been taken in the injection molding process and components in this area. The SA trigger pull is very crisp and clean, once the slack is taken up. No creep. This is the best DA/SA trigger on any HK I've ever had. I think the grip really helps in the DA pull also, with the medium grips putting the pad of my finger in exactly the right place. I'd like a shorter reset, but not much and it's no more than my P228/P226.

I've always liked the HK mag releases. This is the best HK mag release out there. Better feel, easier to operate, more contact area etc. Kudos here also.

Sights - mine was in the box, which meant the sights hadn't been charged. Unique concept here. Took it outside for 5 minutes to take the pic, and they are bright as can be. I like them alot so far and don't feel the need to replace them at all. I'm become less concerned with having night sights on pistols having done some training with them in CQB and with regular sights and a weapon mounted or hand help light source.

OK, this I really like. I really like the design of the new slide release and take down. I think there is alot to be said for not having to completly remove the left takedown lever and possibly loosing it. To me a huge improvement.
This is probably why the whole thing feels more rebust also. Very nice work here.

Trigger components look to be better made, although I haven't detailed disassembly yet. Love the new hammer and the ability to manually cock the firearm, unlike the USPc's. Magazines look to be top notch also.

Like I said, I had NO INTENTION of buying a P30. I'm glad I did, over all quality is excellent and there are alot of improvements and nice features. We'll see how she shoots soon.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Joe,

Congrats on the new P30!

I just got one as well.

Shot mine for the first time today and it was great! Extremely accurate and easy to shoot. The excellent ergonomics really aid in shooting well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the report. Let us know how it goes at the range. I'm waiting on the release of the HK45c before I make up my mind on it or the P30. I had a chance to fondle the P30 when I bought my HK45 and you are right it is one hell of good feeling weapon. The grip is awesome. I haven't owned a 9mm in 15+ years but this could be the one that changes that.
Ben

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,922 Posts
I hate to say I told you so but...I have been preaching the blessings of the P30 for a month now. Glad to hear that you like it. Just wait until you shoot it believe it or not the pistol gets even better.

·
Registered
134 Posts
You guys are making it awfully hard not to get one.....

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Congrats Joe! Now you finally see what all the hype is about :). The P30 even shoots better then it looks and feels. I am looking forward to reading your range report.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, I couldn't wait. ;) Conditions were approx 46 degress and cloudy, so some shooting was done with gloves and some without. Gloved shooting was not an issue.
Ammo used was American Eagle 124gr. approx 200 rounds and very good clean ammo. No failures of any kind and as expected the slide release was in a good position for me.

All shooting was done @ approx 25'.

It took me a little while to get used to the gun. Here is 10 rounds slow fire, off-hand.

Pistol was dead on, out of the box. I like the mags and how they sit flush with the bottom of the grip.

This was 20 rounds with the pace picked up some. Double taps and followup shots became progressively easier as I accustomed myself to the reset, trigger, grip etc.

Here is approx 50 rounds, shot in 5-10 round strings as fast as I could prep the trigger while getting back on target. Gloves on, my finger starting to get a tad numb.

Here is a testament to the DA pull. Here is 10 rounds all shot DA. I start from the high/close in ready position. As I extend me arms to engage the target, I prep the trigger very aggressively and break the shot as the sights come on target. Each shot is taken as fast as possible from the DA mode, less than 1 sec.

While I didn't compare it directly to my USPc 9, accuracy is very good and with practice will get better. It got better, and I was able to shoot it more accuractely just during this session alone. While it is almost as big as a USP or P226, it doesn't feel as big.

BTW.. an Uncle Mike Kydex holster I had laying around for a USPc fit the P30 perfectly and the Serpa mag pouches for a Glock 17/19 also work for the P30 mags.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Awesome pictures. Man, you are making it harder and harder to resist the P30. Keep up the good work. Excellent shooting.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats Joe! Now you finally see what all the hype is about :). The P30 even shoots better then it looks and feels. I am looking forward to reading your range report.
Thanks Mark! You are absolutely correct, it's a great weapon. I knew I could trust your opinion. ;) I can only imagine the HK45. Ya know, I was holding out for the HK45c, I'm gonna have to think this over now. I'm a fan of the spidey-grip now and kind of a$$ backwards from others.
I liked the way it felt better when I first fondled it, than the way it looked. :)Now I like the way it looks more and more. No doubt, because it works so damn well.

I have one minor issue so far. My Surefire X200 will no fit. It's slides on ok, but the locking tab on the light, will not engage the first cutout in the dust cover from the muzzle end. The light can't slide back far enough. Anyone else run into this, and is there a fix?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have to wonder: do the grooves on the "spidey grip" fit users' natural grip? or are some people adjusting their finger placement for better positions in the grooves? (ie spreading out their fingers)

Sorry if that sounds confusing. Language is not my strong suit. Basically what I'm asking is 'do the contours of the new hk pistol grips fit the average shooter's stacked fingers perfectly?'

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks Mark! You are absolutely correct, it's a great weapon. I knew I could trust your opinion. ;) I can only imagine the HK45. Ya know, I was holding out for the HK45c, I'm gonna have to think this over now. I'm a fan of the spidey-grip now and kind of a$$ backwards from others.
I liked the way it felt better when I first fondled it, than the way it looked. :)Now I like the way it looks more and more. No doubt, because it works so damn well.

I have one minor issue so far. My Surefire X200 will no fit. It's slides on ok, but the locking tab on the light, will not engage the first cutout in the dust cover from the muzzle end. The light can't slide back far enough. Anyone else run into this, and is there a fix?
I thought the same thing until I started playing with it. Once you have the light on give it a pretty firm shove. It was a little different with my other guns as it slid on easily. Just give it a little harder push and you should feel the surefire's tab click into place.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went and pulled the trigger, so to speak. Let me first say, I had no intention of buying a P30. None whatsoever! I was waiting on the Sig p250. After specs came out and questions were cleared up, I decided Sig P250 wouldn't be for me. I was thinking that may be the gun that replaces the G19 I carry.
Back to the P30. In another thread, I asked the operator of a P30 why he thought it was head and shoulders above the P2000 or USPc for that matter. I went and had to fondle one. Brought along a P226R for comparison.

First impressions...the grip is as good as they say. Better, since I don't believe anyone mentioned the stippling is very good for a nice positive hold. Not as agressive as the USPc on the front/back straps, but much better than the P2000 or USPc on the sides! I Like the finger grooves also, as they help purchase around the front strap. Nice blend here.
Better than anything I've ever felt. Initially I don't see the need for a stickier substance on the sides like the USPc or P2000, such as Decal grip. Not required here.

Accuracy - I will shoot it either today or tomorrow and will report back.

Typical HK quality, and I think HK addressed my issues with the Slide release of the P2000. It's not the same profile as the P2000. It's slimmer and seems more recessed in the frame. The is also no noticeable play on the right side, like the P2000. It doesn't flop around like the P2000.

Trigger - DA pull is smooth. Not heavier than the P226 or USPc, and much smoother than the USPc. No kidding as good as the P226! Not sure where the gripes are, or maybe I have an exceptionally good pistol. There is no stacking or felt burrs. DA pulls through like on ball bearings.
On my USPc you can feel where the trigger bar rubs against the frame. Not here. During disassembly, the frame/trigger bar area is much better/cleaner than the USPc. Looks like more care has been taken in the injection molding process and components in this area. The SA trigger pull is very crisp and clean, once the slack is taken up. No creep. This is the best DA/SA trigger on any HK I've ever had. I think the grip really helps in the DA pull also, with the medium grips putting the pad of my finger in exactly the right place. I'd like a shorter reset, but not much and it's no more than my P228/P226.

I've always liked the HK mag releases. This is the best HK mag release out there. Better feel, easier to operate, more contact area etc. Kudos here also.

Sights - mine was in the box, which meant the sights hadn't been charged. Unique concept here. Took it outside for 5 minutes to take the pic, and they are bright as can be. I like them alot so far and don't feel the need to replace them at all. I'm become less concerned with having night sights on pistols having done some training with them in CQB and with regular sights and a weapon mounted or hand help light source.

OK, this I really like. I really like the design of the new slide release and take down. I think there is alot to be said for not having to completly remove the left takedown lever and possibly loosing it. To me a huge improvement.
This is probably why the whole thing feels more rebust also. Very nice work here.

Trigger components look to be better made, although I haven't detailed disassembly yet. Love the new hammer and the ability to manually cock the firearm, unlike the USPc's. Magazines look to be top notch also.

Like I said, I had NO INTENTION of buying a P30. I'm glad I did, over all quality is excellent and there are alot of improvements and nice features. We'll see how she shoots soon.
Congrats!! Wonderful write ups as well!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have to wonder: do the grooves on the "spidey grip" fit users' natural grip? or are some people adjusting their finger placement for better positions in the grooves? (ie spreading out their fingers)

Sorry if that sounds confusing. Language is not my strong suit. Basically what I'm asking is 'do the contours of the new hk pistol grips fit the average shooter's stacked fingers perfectly?'
For me, my fingers just fell naturally into the grooves. They work well for me.
It did it the very first time I grabbed one. You'll know, once you put one in your hand.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

The P30 fits my hands perfectly with no adjustment needed. I havn't even switched out any of the side panels as from the factory it feels and fits great. This is one of the reasons why I love the P30 and most likely the reason why I am able to shoot it so much better then other handguns. My hand does not move at all while shooting. I also love the decocker as all it takes is a slight movement of the thumb to decock where as on my Sigs I needed to shift my grip around.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also love the decocker as all it takes is a slight movement of the thumb to decock where as on my Sigs I needed to shift my grip around.
Oh yeah, I been meaning to discuss this. This is the first v3 I've had with this type decocker. I wasn't sure of this until I used it today. When doing the DA shooting, it became more natural the more I used it. It does work very well and like Mark stated, unlike the Sig, I don't have to shift my hand to decock or do a mag release.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm very happy to see that youre are as impressed with the p30 are we are. Glad to have helped you...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow morning! All these posts just CANT be wrong... first, my 2000sk, and then a couple weeks later, a new P30! Enjoy it as much as I bet I will!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to all the members of this board that were praising the merits of the P30. I have to admit, with the delays in the HK45 and other issues from HK, I haven't been as confident lately in their product and many here know how critical I've been of HK lately. The delays look to have been done with quality in mind. No compromise may not just be a slogan.
IMO, the P30 is better in all regards to the USPc or P2000, and I would highly recommend it. Workmanship/materials are top notch. Surprisingly, the trigger (on mine anyway) is awesome, and compares favorably to any current Sig. Now where to find the $$$ for a HK45?

I also heard today, the Serpa Holster for the USPc 45 works well for P30 use.
Anyone tried this? I know the Serpa is specifically made for the P30 also, just curious.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts