HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Revolver Trigger Camera accessory Bumper Toy

I had a thread about the falling P30 prices and finally picked up the P30L. Was just under $640 after shipping. Picked it up today and test fired using mixed bulk range ammo - fmj.

Immediately noticed it liked to eject casings straight back at me. Sometimes left even. I think every other HK I have tosses brass a few feet right. Brass was hitting my chest, stomach, left arm, etc. In 60 rounds, I had 2 or 3 get caught in the slide. Easy to clear, but I feel it shouldn't happen.

I know it's new and not broken in, but my other HK have been bought both new and used and I can't recall having malfunctions like this. Just it does need to be greased up, broken in, or might I have a defective extractor? I otherwise love the gun.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
View attachment 338512
I had a thread about the falling P30 prices and finally picked up the P30L. Was just under $640 after shipping. Picked it up today and test fired using mixed bulk range ammo - fmj.

Immediately noticed it liked to eject casings straight back at me. Sometimes left even. I think every other HK I have tosses brass a few feet right. Brass was hitting my chest, stomach, left arm, etc. In 60 rounds, I had 2 or 3 get caught in the slide. Easy to clear, but I feel it shouldn't happen.

I know it's new and not broken in, but my other HK have been bought both new and used and I can't recall having malfunctions like this. Just it does need to be greased up, broken in, or might I have a defective extractor? I otherwise love the gun.
Did you not clean the cosmoline off of the pistol , which is a rust preventative applied at the factory , and lubricate it with your choice of product ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am having the same issue.The last shot looks like your picture above.I called HK and they said it was because its a new gun and I was shooting 115 grain bullets.He said I needed to use heavier 124s or better till the gun is broken in.I tried it with147s and had no issues.Good luck.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you not clean the cosmoline off of the pistol , which is a rust preventative applied at the factory , and lubricate it with your choice of product ?
I didn't clean it. I'll start there. I typically take my guns straight out of the box and take them to the range. I haven't had issues in the past, but looks like it's time to end that habit.

And no reloads - I try to buy mostly Federal, Norma, but sometimes I'll get PMC, Winchester, etc. I usually just dump the boxes out into an ammo can and pull from that for range days. I haven't had issues with HK being picky on ammo before, but I know it's not uncommon for them to have some minor issues during those first few hundred rounds when they're smoothing out.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am having the same issue.The last shot looks like your picture above.I called HK and they said it was because its a new gun and I was shooting 115 grain bullets.He said I needed to use heavier 124s or better till the gun is broken in.I tried it with147s and had no issues.Good luck.
Very interesting. I'll load some magazines of 124gr. There's a chance some lighter stuff is mixed in my ammo can. I'm trying to burn through some of that ammo and then stick to Federal and Norma.

·
Registered
281 Posts
When I purchase a new firearm, I read the owner’s manual and then field strip/clean/lube the gun before firing.
But I guess just blasting whatever happens to be in the barrel out works sometimes too…

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I didn't clean it. I'll start there. I typically take my guns straight out of the box and take them to the range. I haven't had issues in the past, but looks like it's time to end that habit.

And no reloads - I try to buy mostly Federal, Norma, but sometimes I'll get PMC, Winchester, etc. I usually just dump the boxes out into an ammo can and pull from that for range days. I haven't had issues with HK being picky on ammo before, but I know it's not uncommon for them to have some minor issues during those first few hundred rounds when they're smoothing out.
The P30L is a tight pistol from the factory so I think you'll find with warmer ammo the problems will go away.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The only thing I do before a range trip with my Austrians and Czechs is run a bore snake through the barrel. There has never been a single issue with any of them no matter what ammo I use.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
The only thing I do before a range trip with my Austrians and Czechs is run a bore snake through the barrel. There has never been a single issue with any of them no matter what ammo I use.
Given that I assume you don't own at least a few hundred of them, that happens to be a statistically insignificant sample size, as is the OP's P30L.

Ironically I just told a lovely anecdote on the forum for a certain Austrian firearm company about why it's good to break in a pistol (of any brand) before carrying it.

Short version: Brand new Austrian pistol's front sight fell off after less than 150 rounds.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
Given that I assume you don't own at least a few hundred of them, that happens a statistically insignificant sample size, as is the OP's P30L.

Ironically I just told a lovely anecdote on the forum for a certain Austrian firearm company about why it's good to break in a pistol (of any brand) before carrying it.

Short version: Brand new Austrian pistol's front sight fell off after less than 150 rounds.
A bore snake tells you all you need to know .

·
Registered
885 Posts
Given that I assume you don't own at least a few hundred of them, that happens to be a statistically insignificant sample size, as is the OP's P30L.

Whatever you want to think. The reliability of the Austrian pistols is second to none.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Whatever you want to think. The reliability of the Austrian pistols is second to none.
I would say they are solid weapons, easy to use and as reliable any high-quality modern platform. Well, at least based on my personal experience.

The point of my (absolutely true) story was to say that crap happens with any brand and having personal experience with a few good pistols doesn't mean a given brand is immune any more than having a poor experience with a brand's pistol means it isn't reliable.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
I've got well over 100K rounds on my HK's without an " F" of any sort . Now I don't use " bore snakes " but I do clean the bore with a brush and wipe'em down after shooting . I'll clean 'em up good with solvent after a K or 2 of shooting .

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
All new guns get cleaned and lubed before putting a couple hundred factory 124s through them. No FTF or ejection issues at all across a myriad of brands and models. Start there and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I experienced it when shooting some under powered reloads. Other than that nope. I'm shooting the L version though, which to my understanding is even more susceptible to this.
Ejection is not very robust even with warmer reloads. cases land very close by.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts