HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've generally favored 1911s, but I finally bought a P7M8. I’ve admired this pistol for a long time, and I just found out it has been discontinued (a while ago – okay, I wasn’t paying attention). Then I saw several available on GunsAmerica, and it’s on the California approved list, so I knew that now was the time.

After somewhat more rigmarole than usual – email correspondence with the seller, getting a copy or my dealer’s FFL, picking up a cashier’s check, sending the paperwork off – the gun appeared at my dealer. Then after the usual paperwork and ten day wait, I finally had it in my possession.

As of now I shoot my 1911s better than my P7M8. I think that's more a function of training/practice than the gun itself.

I have a number of high end 1911s, including a Les Baer Concept IV that I took to Gunsite a few years ago and a Nighthawk Talon II that I used for a Louis Awerbuck class several months ago. I've used 1911s for IPSC in the Limited and Limited Ten divisions. All in all, I've probably shot 100,000 rounds, give or take, from a 1911.

So, I've been practicing and the practice has been working, I'm beginning to learn to shoot the P7.

There’s a lot to like about the P7. It’s compact and easy to carry and conceal. It seems to have a high potential for accuracy. It’s absolutely reliable (650 rounds, including a number of JHPs, without a bobble out of the box). It’s very well made. But its unique manual of arms takes some practice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Congrats! I too am a Kalifornian and just bought a P7M8. I went through the same thought process as you did. Mine just arrived at my dealer and so I am starting my 10-day wait. I feel your pain.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Anyone I've ever heard talk about this gun says how awesome it is- why then are they not going to make it anymore?!?! (BTW that gun looks HOT!!!)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Anyone I've ever heard talk about this gun says how awesome it is- why then are they not going to make it anymore?!?!
There are two primary reasons it's being discontinued as I see it. First is the cost to produce the weapon. It's design and the materials used make it more expensive than the USP and other 'modern' polymer pistols. Secondly is the magazine capacity of the P series in general. It was created as a service pistol. Most agencies are enamored with high capacity weapons (14 rounds and greater). Less reloading in a combat situation and more chances to hit the target, which can help make up for infrequent, or inadequate training in a LEO environment. Personally I like my P7s and find them to be very reliable, very accurate and easy to carry and conceal. It's a shame to see them drop the line, but understandable from a business point of view. Too bad they don't have a custom shop that could offer the P7, P9, HK91, HK93 and other popular weapons that have since been dropped for various reasons. They could also offer custom builds on the USPs for competition, custom engraving and such, but that will never happen. We are after all talking about HK. ;-)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Very nice!

Not only is it discontinued, it fell off of the California approved list on Monday(09/10/07)! So You're among the last in California to purchase a P7M8, unless of course You can find one already in California for a PTP. I've got two, but I'm not selling! Here's a pic of mine:

Here's a link to recently removed from the list handguns:
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/removed.pdf
_______
mugdava

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back in July I joined the H&K company forum and posted a message asking Customer Service if the California certification for the P7M8 would be renewed for this next year. They posted that it would be. I followed up on the board when I saw this morning that the certification has expired. Let's see what HK says.

Also, some traffic on the Park Cities Tactical Forum (http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/) seems to indicate, from both HK and the California DOJ, that the paperwork and fees were submitted and just haven't been processed yet. This rings true. A couple of months ago I was talking with an S&W rep and asking about California certification for some of their new "classic" revolvers. He mentioned that the DOJ was way behind processing certifications.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
Congrat's to both of you on P7M8 purches!! You will find in time that you are going to love that weapon!! They are fun to shoot, affordable, and just dead on accurate!!!

Happy & Safe Shooting!! TJ

P.S. Don't ever sell or get rid of that weapon, I promise you will regret it later......lol TJ

R

·
0 Posts
YEP

Nice knife as well a Terzuola ?

I've generally favored 1911s, but I finally bought a P7M8. I’ve admired this pistol for a long time, and I just found out it has been discontinued (a while ago – okay, I wasn’t paying attention). Then I saw several available on GunsAmerica, and it’s on the California approved list, so I knew that now was the time.

After somewhat more rigmarole than usual – email correspondence with the seller, getting a copy or my dealer’s FFL, picking up a cashier’s check, sending the paperwork off – the gun appeared at my dealer. Then after the usual paperwork and ten day wait, I finally had it in my possession.

As of now I shoot my 1911s better than my P7M8. I think that's more a function of training/practice than the gun itself.

I have a number of high end 1911s, including a Les Baer Concept IV that I took to Gunsite a few years ago and a Nighthawk Talon II that I used for a Louis Awerbuck class several months ago. I've used 1911s for IPSC in the Limited and Limited Ten divisions. All in all, I've probably shot 100,000 rounds, give or take, from a 1911.

So, I've been practicing and the practice has been working, I'm beginning to learn to shoot the P7.

There’s a lot to like about the P7. It’s compact and easy to carry and conceal. It seems to have a high potential for accuracy. It’s absolutely reliable (650 rounds, including a number of JHPs, without a bobble out of the box). It’s very well made. But its unique manual of arms takes some practice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey All!

According to HK, the P7M8 should be back on the CA DOJ approved list in a couple days. On the list, off the list, on the list again. I wonder how many folks went to proccess their pistol and were told it's no longer on the list?

_______
mugdava

1 - 14 of 14 Posts