HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the photo on the HKPro front page. Look closely at it. It appears that the night sights on the pistol are on backwards. Leave it to the Aussies to do guns backwards.
Am I crazy about the sights being backwards or do I just have too much time on my hands?

·
Registered
851 Posts
No, I think you are right, the rear sight appears to be on backwards. Looks like a Tactical model with regular sights sans the adjustables. Guy looks like he's straight out of Star Wars. :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you - glad to see that someone else agrees and that I'm (apparently) not crazy. Any idea why on earth you would put the sights on backwards like that? Darth Vader look notwitstanding, it seems with a mask you would want visible sights.
I've trained some students in an exercise by putting tape over the sights to get them to learn point shooting/instinctive techniques but that does not seem to be what's going on in that picture.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm still a newbie shooter so I'm basing this on my own colorful imagination. They are using weapon mounted lights, so is the school of thought if wherever the light is pointed, shoot there and you would be pretty much on target or okay and not rely on your sights?

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,881 Posts
Official oopsie.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I noticed this on few other posts too.

One was this and the second I couldn´t find. On the link, notice that the front sight is CORRECTLY installed when you look at the foot that goes in to the frame. Also the slanted side is facing on the right direction. Is the tunnel thru the front sight?

Miku

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,881 Posts
Hmmm...

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
I've seen some night sights that have the bore the vial is installed in drilled all the way through. The epoxy that holds the vile in fills the hole but the hole is still visible from the front.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Actually I think that is the guy that was one of Darth Vader's Tie Fighter pilots. He is now doing SWAT style work due to the conclusion of the movies and the fall of the empire.....

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My thoughts exactly :confused: .

HKshooterusp,
could it be that the rear sight is also tunneled thru? This would, of course, be a big disappointment :D ...

Miku
I don't see how a "tunneled" sight could take the pounding of slide recoil. Wouldn't that become loose faster?
I've used the "tape over sights" as a training technique - maybe this guys sights are intentionally disabled in the same way to make the operator think differently.

·
Registered
33 Posts
On the original USP's the rear sight had a "tunnel" through it and you could see the sight from the front. Supposedly this was in case you wanted to change the regular white dots to night sights. I have a USP rear sight like this on one of the first USP40 guns that HK produced.

·
Registered
851 Posts
On the original USP's the rear sight had a "tunnel" through it and you could see the sight from the front. Supposedly this was in case you wanted to change the regular white dots to night sights. I have a USP rear sight like this on one of the first USP40 guns that HK produced.
Please post a pic. I would like to see this. Thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Please post a pic. I would like to see this. Thanks!
I have a USP45F (purchased in 1997) and the sights are not all the way through. White on shooter side black on back side.

Although according to this site the USP debut in 1993 in 9mm and .40. So I guess there might be some older models with through sights.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts