HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
This is my first post here. I recently picked up a PTR 91 A3S as my one "bullet button" gun before the law changed in California. Overall, I love this gun. Right now though, the charging handle is stuck in the closed position, and won't unfold from the rifle. It's not just stiff, it's completely stuck. I've stripped the gun and disassembled the bolt group a couple times, but with the handle stuck closed, I can't even get it to slide out of the rifle. I've had it for a few weeks, but it's been poor weather so I've only put a few rounds through it. Previously, the charging handle was stiff to pull back, but I never had trouble unfolding the handle itself, and it's gotten less stiff as I've cycled it a bit. I haven't disassembled the bolt group in a week and a half, and everything worked fine yesterday.

I would appreciate any advice, thank you.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
First off congrats on the new "evil" rifle. LOL

You can't get the handle to move at all? Even a little bit?

You should be able to get the bolt to unlock by using something as a small wedge between the charging handle and the BCG but be careful.

Sounds like something has gotten into the handle's pivot area.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, thanks for your responses.

No, it won't move at all. It's completely locked in the closed position. I don't really want to try to use a lever arm to wrench on it unless I have to, that seems like an easy way to break something (further). I gave it a shot of cleaning oil, I'll let it sit and then see what happens.

Thanks again for the responses.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I don't see lack of oil being the issue with the arm not moving at all.

I didn't say to use a lever to get the arm to come out. I said use something as a small wedge between the end of the BCG and the cocking handle support, through the cocking slot. To force the rollers to unlock and allow removal of the BCG.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Steve, that did the trick! Thank you very much. I think the handle was stuck to the little post that threads through it when it's closed. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Have you checked the bolt and cocking tube gaps since you bought it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know I haven't. It came with a note from quality control stating everything was in spec, so I took them at their word. I don't currently have the tools to check that, but I might go pick them up because I don't think they're terribly expensive.

There is a small metal cylindrical post that threads through the charging tube horizontally (at a 90 degree angle). When fully forward, the charging handle can rest against it, or it can thread through the hole in the handle. When it threads through the handle, that is when it gets stuck closed. The post is very loose, I can pull it out of the charging tube completely with ease. I'm not sure if that's normal.

I sincerely appreciate your help, thank you.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The tool to check gap is just a simple feeler gauge, which is available from hardware, automotive, walmart, etc stores.

That post is NOT supposed to move.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Steve, thank you so much for all your help. I'm 99 percent sure the post is the problem. When I push it all the way in, even when it threads through the charging handle, everything works fine. It's only when it slides out partially that the handle gets stuck. I'm not sure if I'll have it fixed under warranty or just have a local gunsmith fix it. It seems like an easy fix but since this is technically an assault weapon under CA law, it might be better to have it fixed locally by like minded folks. Thanks again for all of your help.

Edit: I still love this gun. The recoil is neglible, it's extremely accurate, and it looks great.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Is the bolt locked into the breach? Maybe the bolt gap is out of spec our non-existant, have you measured the bolt gap?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have not checked the gap, but I do intend to get a feeler Guage to check that out. I don't think it's a bolt gap issue, though, as the post that threads through the charging when it is closed is very loose. It can actually fall out with relative ease. When it's partially out, it threads through the charging handle, preventing it from being unfolded. I think that is the real problem. I can't afford it now, but I fully intend to have it reattached by a gunsmith in a month or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts