HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I took my ptr 91F to the range it is a serial number within the known trunion problem. I purchased off gunbroker original owner said it was unfired. I took it apart to the specs within the ptr manual (bolt head, locking piece, firing pin) I am sure that it was never fired after carefull examination. I had already purchased a feeler guage to measure prior to the rifle arriving. Initial bolt gap was .014 after 40 rounds was .012 and at 60 was .011. Lovewd the rifle no problems at all. I was using Remmington core loct 150 grain from ****s as I will continue to use for the break in. Is this initial bolt gap of .014 a possible problem. Also, I took off the handguard and checked for a trunion crack. I did not see one. overall I was extremely happy with my new rifle and the accuracy.

Just wanted to check in and see any thoughts....i realize oversize rollers will open the gap up.
Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks for the information, good post.
Exactly which PTR do you have, what barrel length etc.

Keep us posted on your continuning results, and your accuracy.

Also, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the F model with an 18" barrel. Also b/c ive seen on other threads questions about flutes there are 11 flutes which can be seen easily on the spent casings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got a GI that was in the serial number range of problem trunions. The gap went under .010 after a hundred rounds. I got +2 rollers and it came back up but then went under .010 after another hundred rounds or so. I found no cracks in the ( front trunion) but could see some unusual wear at the trunion by the chamber where the bolt connects at approximatley 6:00 and 7:00 oclock. My guess is that the metal is too soft there. I spoke with PTR and was instructed to send it back ( I was sent a return voucher from UPS). So far their customer service seems good. I am now waiting for their response or the return of the fixed gun. My suggestion is to contact PTR if the gap goes under .010 and don't mess with the oversize rollers.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sergeant,
Same trouble with GI#024X. My Bolt Head and Locking Piece were soft!
Trunnion hasn't cracked (yet!!) at just over 1000 rounds.
I put a new (from NEW spare parts I had from the 80's) Bolt Head, Locking Piece, spring and firing pin, in the RHINEMETAL carrier it came with and gap has held fine.
These were put in several hundred rounds back. (I think the marks on the trunnion might be from "Soft Part Impact)
I hope/Think you might have the same trouble. I have since replaced my (mostly) US/PTR trigger pack with a German one to be safe.
Sorry to say I don't trust US/PTR made parts, but that's it!! Maybe PTR will get THAT problem fixed after a few hundred/thousand more guns (and UNHAPPY customers)!
You might need to switch out some other parts to keep up with 922r, if that bothers you. Still better safe than sorry!
Keep posting and GOOD LUCK!

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Sergeant,
Same trouble with GI#024X. My Bolt Head and Locking Piece were soft!
Trunnion hasn't cracked (yet!!) at just over 1000 rounds.
I put a new (from NEW spare parts I had from the 80's) Bolt Head, Locking Piece, spring and firing pin, in the RHINEMETAL carrier it came with and gap has held fine.
These were put in several hundred rounds back. (I think the marks on the trunnion might be from "Soft Part Impact)
I hope/Think you might have the same trouble. I have since replaced my (mostly) US/PTR trigger pack with a German one to be safe.
Sorry to say I don't trust US/PTR made parts, but that's it!! Maybe PTR will get THAT problem fixed after a few hundred/thousand more guns (and UNHAPPY customers)!
You might need to switch out some other parts to keep up with 922r, if that bothers you. Still better safe than sorry!
Keep posting and GOOD LUCK!
Herein lies the truth of the matter. Non german/contract parts suck. So far, with little exception, the longer a person keeps and uses a clone the more parts have to be replaced with the genuine item. RCM seems to be making some progress in the direction of making the above a not so true statment. Time and piles of ammo will tell. For the time being it's my recomendation (do with it what you wish, it's worth exactly what you paid for it) that any critical moving part on a clone that's not german/contract be replaced with one that is. All of my own guns use german or contract internals with only one exception, a JLD sear that I havent replaced yet. Now is the time to stock up on these parts because while expensive, when they all dry up they will be even more so. And it's likely they will still all be needed even though the supply is dwindled.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Banger 53,
I bought a heavy bolt complete assembly from RG and replaced it in the gun, I could not check the bolt gap because the smallest gauge I have is .010 and it was below that. The original with +2 was a tight fit on the .010. I replaced the original rollers and sent it back. With the original rollers a .010 gauge would not fit. When I get the gun back I will put the german bolt assembly in the gun and see what I got. I think they will replace the trunion ( I hope) and all will be good. I will probably get just the German bolt and replace it in the PTR assembly for a spare. I also have one of the AW series and the bolt gap is approximately .014 and holding. When I get the gun back I will report on the outcome.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you care about the whole 922r thing you need to be careful about what you replace with original parts. Even if you don't care about it, at least don't talk about it.

I used to have a feeling that all US parts were bad but after some investigation and metalurgical analysis was finally convinced that in fact it isn't true. Not all US parts are bad, some are better than others.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
If you care about the whole 922r thing you need to be careful about what you replace with original parts. Even if you don't care about it, at least don't talk about it.

I used to have a feeling that all US parts were bad but after some investigation and metalurgical analysis was finally convinced that in fact it isn't true. Not all US parts are bad, some are better than others.
There are plenty enough parts out there to be compliant while still using 100% import internal moving parts.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
That sort of gap loss in NOT normal!

My PTR has virtually lost no gap at all in 950 rds, still at '15

1 - 10 of 10 Posts