HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new MSG 91 love it however there is some ejection issues and seeing as I'm a newbie and never previously owned a 91 "clone" I could use some input.

The rifle cycles fine and shoots great however after picking up my first group of brass I found this........

This is what my brass looks like: note the burr on the base of the cases....

I stripped her down and cleaned the chamber and oiled the extractor but the problem still persisted on the second group. The brass typically exits forward 10 yards down range and to the right, but does on occasion exit 90 degrees right or slightly back. The rifle itself never jams but it looks like to me the case isn't clearing and the following round is ejecting the spent cartridge the rest of the way?
If I seat a case into the bolt "while stripped" by hand and simulate an extraction I can feel it hanging on the extractor and the burrs on the base of the cases line up with the corners of the extractor.

Having been unable to correct the issue with the basics after 20 rounds I had to quit. I'm guessing I have a faulty extractor? Do the HKPro's agree?

Having never owned a PTR or 91 before how much damage to the brass is typical under normal conditions? Does it interfere with hand loading?

your input is appreciated :) I may not reply until Oct 6 or 7 but will thank everyone in advance.

·
1,205 Posts
That is common with all HK .308 rifles. They throw the brass into the next county, and most of the time the brass hits the ejection port on the way out.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is common with all HK .308 rifles. They throw the brass into the next county, and most of the time the brass hits the ejection port on the way out.
thanks

So hand loading is basically a waste of time as the brass will not be reusable?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Could be the extractor, did it have a uniform lip where it grabs the the shell base? If so it could be that the ejector is riding low in the bolt head, common occurance in all HK clones even PTR. The front of the trigger pack needs to be shimmed up or possibly weld some material on the back of the ejector.

Bill

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be the extractor, did it have a uniform lip where it grabs the the shell base? If so it could be that the ejector is riding low in the bolt head, common occurance in all HK clones even PTR. The front of the trigger pack needs to be shimmed up or possibly weld some material on the back of the ejector.

Bill
I did notice that there was room for the ejector to come up some but it was still catching the brass enough that I didn't think it was missing.

Seems to be common enough that nobody is alarmed here just have to buy cheaper ammo I guess?

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is a buffer attachment that will save the dented part of the brass. I think they are hard to come by and are not made anymore. If someone started selling these I think they would have a good seller.

·
Registered
221 Posts
next county?! mine throws it clear across the state!

no seriously. i don't think reloading will be feasible. i plan on loading once fired or other brass from other 308 rifles.

i do know some people load. but by the time i track the brass down. 90% of what i do find is mangled. it's just as easy to load other brass, for my situation. it may work as others state.

·
Registered
266 Posts
you can get a ejection port buffer($125 ball park price) this will keep the brass from getting killed.and you can reload you brass..

if the gun is shooting fine. then dont fix it. just add the port buffer.
just a note: if you add the buffer it will be a part you want to leav on the gun. if you try to remove it.. it will mark up the finnish..(no biggy)
just to let you know.

and has for looking for your brass.. just lay a shop rag(the red or green rags) over the top of you weapon.. you can hold it in place with ducktape on the left side. if you like.. this will drop your brass at your feet in a nice pile.. or if shooting from a bench?..right in a can..

·
Registered
732 Posts
With the exception of the case on the right these all look pretty normal for this type of rifle. The port buffer will make most of your empties reloadable. You ought to pay for it in about 400 rounds or thereabouts.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the buffer idea I'm off looking for one now "doesn't seem easy so far" as stated they seem rare.

I'll probably stick to once fired brass if I can't find a buffer or cheap ammo.

thanks for the tips/input and suggestions from everyone I appreciate it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thanks

So hand loading is basically a waste of time as the brass will not be reusable?
I've started reloading my 308 with 43 gr of Win 748 and 150gr FMJ. Recoil is very light, cycles gun perfectly and does not destroy the brass. It doesn't even leave any ridges from the flutes. I'm going to try loading even lower next time.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I vaguely remember someone making their own buffer somehow. Might be worth a search.

After looking over some of the photos I may very well have to do just that. The PTR "MSG91" has the welded scope mount base and will interfere with the snap on buffer best I can tell.
However I may be able to use an old scope ring "lower half" as an anchor to fabricate a modified buffer somehow? Probably a winter project after hunting season ends......???.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts