HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope all of you are well within this time, Ive been searching the internet for days and came across this site.

I just purchased an HK45C and i am looking to add a laser to the gun, but everywhere i look they are out of stock, discontinued, or i am i searching in the wrong areas?

anyone have suggestions for the above situation? where can i get a laser add on for the HK45C?

I recently purchased some night sights for the gun and they are on the way, my question is how do i go about removing and replacing my current sights?

Id rather learn, but my first time i do not feel comfortable learning thru YouTube videos,
so do i take the gun to a gunsmith? or gun store? is it a extensive process? will they show me? is their a piece of equipment you need? how much would you pay for the service?

What are your thoughts on cleaning the gun? how often? Where would i learn to clean the gun? youtube?

Read the posts when registering so not completely sure about speaking about ammo, so i wont mention that unless I am incorrect

As far as magazines? any suggestions on where to purchase magazines and other gun accessories? I am open to hearing all preferences and opinions for anything related to the HK45c.

I read about raven concealment for holsters and bags etc, anyone have opinions?

I am located in the phoenix area of Arizona and have signed up for a CCW class to learn situations and laws pertaining to gun laws even though out here you do not need a CCW to carry but just out of gaining more knowledge, but again any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, a new and fellow HK owner

btw this gun i love thus far

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
For now, if I were you, I would spend time, dollars, and effort learning to use and maintain your HK45c. Consult your HK45c owner's manual on how to field-strip, clean, and lube your gun. Taking a CCW class is also a great start! Doing the mods you want should come later.

In the mean time, research this site on how to do your mods. There's plenty of information here. If you choose to work with a gunsmith, contact Marine0383 who is a forum member and is an HK certified gunsmith. He does excellent work.

Welcome to the forum, and please keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
216 Posts

I just purchased an HK45C and i am looking to add a laser to the gun,

Welcome, PJ.
At this point, you might want to leave the gun as-is. Learn to shoot it well with the factory sights. Lasers, lights, and fancy sights won't shorten your learning curve toward becoming competent with the gun.

Cleaning? After every time I shoot, I'll clean the gun. If I shoot fewer that 50 rounds, I might not clean the gun, but that's very unusual. Buy yourself a general-purpose gun cleaning kit from a big name manufacturer. Follow their instructions and the instructions in your HK manual. It's not rocket science, and everybody is going to differ a bit. You'll see endless debates on the best way to do this or that. It's not something to get too wound up about.

Holsters? That's another subject that folks will argue about ad nauseam. I'm a firm believer in a leather holster that is made to fit your gun, and I need belt loops rather than clips. My favorite manufacturer is Milt Sparks. Honorable mention go to Wright Leatherworks, TT Gunleather, and R. Grizzle. Remember, the holster will need to accommodate the laser or whatever else you bolt onto it. Lead-time for custom holsters is measured in months, so it's something to think about sooner rather than later.

Have fun with your HK45C. Let us know how you like it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
YouTube will teach you anything you want to know. I personally don’t swap to night sights the whole if you can’t see the sights how do you see the target really made sense. All the guns I swapped sights on I went for a fiber optic front sight. Personally I’d suggest staying stock till you know the gun better. You won’t believe how much I wasted buying stuff just to never take it out of the box because it wasn’t needed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You can learn how to use google on your own. Lights are more useful and many have lazers.

Night sights are good and totally useful in low light when you can easily pick up the targets but not daylight sights. I've used mostly a punch on HK sights, but in conjunction with a generic sight pusher. If you don't want to learn, use a gunsmith or armorer.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I use a laser/light combo for my bedside .45c but not to carry. You'd be far better off buying some ammo and range time to get acclimated instead of buying a laser.
The pistol is ridiculously easy to take down and clean. Also a brass punch and google are definitely your friends in this instance ;)

-AB

·
Registered
816 Posts
In all honesty any gun cleaning kit will work. Walmart etc will carry kits. Can you do better yes. I would neck out Midway USA. They have some excellent kits. I would also suggest Slip2000 , Lucas Gun oil and grease and Mil Pro 7 as some quality lubricants. Buy a crap ton of Q-tips too. Great for smaller, hard to reach places on handguns.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For now, if I were you, I would spend time, dollars, and effort learning to use and maintain your HK45c. Consult your HK45c owner's manual on how to field-strip, clean, and lube your gun. Taking a CCW class is also a great start! Doing the mods you want should come later.

In the mean time, research this site on how to do your mods. There's plenty of information here. If you choose to work with a gunsmith, contact Marine0383 who is a forum member and is an HK certified gunsmith. He does excellent work.

Welcome to the forum, and please keep us posted on your progress.
much appreciation for the reply and contact of Marine0383

I do not wish to be redundant with the amount of info in these message boards

My current issue is where to purchase a gun cleaning kit for the 45c? I went to the hk parts store online and they are sold out.
i went to amazon and have no clue which kit to purchase, any suggestions or advice?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome, PJ.
At this point, you might want to leave the gun as-is. Learn to shoot it well with the factory sights. Lasers, lights, and fancy sights won't shorten your learning curve toward becoming competent with the gun.

Cleaning? After every time I shoot, I'll clean the gun. If I shoot fewer that 50 rounds, I might not clean the gun, but that's very unusual. Buy yourself a general-purpose gun cleaning kit from a big name manufacturer. Follow their instructions and the instructions in your HK manual. It's not rocket science, and everybody is going to differ a bit. You'll see endless debates on the best way to do this or that. It's not something to get too wound up about.

Holsters? That's another subject that folks will argue about ad nauseam. I'm a firm believer in a leather holster that is made to fit your gun, and I need belt loops rather than clips. My favorite manufacturer is Milt Sparks. Honorable mention go to Wright Leatherworks, TT Gunleather, and R. Grizzle. Remember, the holster will need to accommodate the laser or whatever else you bolt onto it. Lead-time for custom holsters is measured in months, so it's something to think about sooner rather than later.

Have fun with your HK45C. Let us know how you like it.
Thank you Rusty, you message alone made me look for cleaning kits for my 45c, have had no luck thus far any suggestions?? I already got ahead of myself prior to posting this message and bought the night sights lol ( wont do that again) so any thoughts on all purpose gun cleaners?

I will follow the instructions in the manual, and again thank you for your reply

As far as holsters, you suggest waiting until getting all add ons onto the gun and then purchase a holster? or it is not a big deal to have multiple holsters for different add ons?

I have a chest rig i currently use now but i want something with more discretion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
YouTube will teach you anything you want to know. I personally don’t swap to night sights the whole if you can’t see the sights how do you see the target really made sense. All the guns I swapped sights on I went for a fiber optic front sight. Personally I’d suggest staying stock till you know the gun better. You won’t believe how much I wasted buying stuff just to never take it out of the box because it wasn’t needed.
see that something i needed to hear, i am not trying to waste money but i do want solid specs to the gun.

Appreciate your reply!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can learn how to use google on your own. Lights are more useful and many have lazers.

Night sights are good and totally useful in low light when you can easily pick up the targets but not daylight sights. I've used mostly a punch on HK sights, but in conjunction with a generic sight pusher. If you don't want to learn, use a gunsmith or armorer.
So when looking for lights look for lights with lasers? any brands you prefer?

I have no problem learning how to do anything but i want to know for my first handgun but would it be wise to do things myself or give it to a pro and pay him for his skills.

how do you feel about gunsmiths or armorers touching/breaking down/etc your gun? is it one of those things where you do want people touching your gun or find someone or a company you trust?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use a laser/light combo for my bedside .45c but not to carry. You'd be far better off buying some ammo and range time to get acclimated instead of buying a laser.
The pistol is ridiculously easy to take down and clean. Also a brass punch and google are definitely your friends in this instance ;)

-AB
what do you prefer to carry?

I purchased quite a bit of ammo from Carbon ammunition, and will spend time at the range.

I wanted to buy the cleaning kit first so i can clean the gun after firing, so looking for a 45 cleaning kit at the moment.

Can you explain the significance of the brass punch?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In all honesty any gun cleaning kit will work. Walmart etc will carry kits. Can you do better yes. I would neck out Midway USA. They have some excellent kits. I would also suggest Slip2000 , Lucas Gun oil and grease and Mil Pro 7 as some quality lubricants. Buy a crap ton of Q-tips too. Great for smaller, hard to reach places on handguns.
will look into midway usa and the others

as far as q tip, the cotton wont leave any residue?

thank you

·
Registered
816 Posts
will look into midway usa and the others

as far as q tip, the cotton wont leave any residue?

thank you
Q-tips. Well I mean if you just swap away like a madman yes, tiny bits of fiber can get hung around springs and such. I’m just careful and pick out what I see. I’ve NEVER had an issue using them to clean any of my firearms. I would guess almost all of us on here use q-tips.

·
Registered
216 Posts
As far as holsters, you suggest waiting until getting all add ons onto the gun and then purchase a holster? or it is not a big deal to have multiple holsters for different add ons?
If you're in a hurry for a holster, get one of the inexpensive plastic ones now. Then when you get the gun configured the way you want it, then have a nice holster made. Probably everyone here has their own tale of buying holsters for guns/configurations that they later abandoned. It's easier to see a cheap holster gathering dust in a drawer than it is an expensive one. At least for me, it is.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Q-tips. Well I mean if you just swap away like a madman yes, tiny bits of fiber can get hung around springs and such. I’m just careful and pick out what I see. I’ve NEVER had an issue using them to clean any of my firearms. I would guess almost all of us on here use q-tips.
Me neither, and get the pointed tip ones in the make-up section

Reactions: Vincent04

·
Registered
967 Posts
what do you prefer to carry?

I purchased quite a bit of ammo from Carbon ammunition, and will spend time at the range.

I wanted to buy the cleaning kit first so i can clean the gun after firing, so looking for a 45 cleaning kit at the moment.

Can you explain the significance of the brass punch?

I dremeled the pinky rest off an 8round mag for better concealment top a few extra elephant foot mags off with +p self defense ammo and I'm good to go.

A cheap cleaning kit from Walmart , Qtips and some M-Pro7 is all my compacts have ever seen and they run flawlessly.

Never mind the brass punch at this point :100000:

·
Registered
355 Posts
With regard to cleaning it isn't rocket science so there's the gun manual, sometimes cleaning kit instructions, Youtube vids and what YOU learn by doing it. Clean and lube it when you are done for the day. If the gun gets sluggish maybe add some lube. For the most part you probably won't be shooting it enough to have that problem.

Remember many solvents dissolve bullet jacket and other copper alloys. Brushes soaked in solvent will weaken and shed bristles. Brushes are consumable and will need to be replaced from time to time.

I like to use a cleaning jag since it pushes the patch out to the barrel and gets good contact with the barrel. The Tipton ones Midway sells work well for me. You need to match the thickness of the patch to the jag or vice versa.
Cut up an old Tshirt into squares for patches. It's cheap and you get a lot of them out of a single shirt.

Q-tips are quite useful. In addition I find toothpicks good to get into the corners on the slide or other right or acute angles on some guns. Sometimes the paper stick from a Q-tip works well for some things like getting into slide rails.

Most of the chemicals work pretty well. I like Hoppes bore solvent, Slip 2000 EWL and I use Slip's carbon cutter quite a bit. READ the directions and cautions on whatever you are using. Working in a well ventilated area is often a must. Don't spill anything, especially on wood furniture (both on any firearm or the table etc.).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts