HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is truly exciting. (Mods I didnt know whether to place this is clone or NFA section).

See Ian's interview with the new American stg44 manufacturer.....

HMG?s US-Made Sturmgewehr « Forgotten Weapons

FW: Ok, just a couple more questions and I'll let you go. Since you are using HK fire control parts, will they be able to use registered HK auto sears or trigger packs?

HMG: We are designing it to accept semi auto packs for compliance with all ATF regulations regarding NFA devices. But for those with registered trigger packs, give me a call - we might have something in the mix.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
So just curious hkindiana is your take that these HMG's will be for post only?
Yes, my take is that they will be post only. Now, if they were to use an HK93 receiver, HK93 bolt, HK93 barrel, HK93 trigger group, and HK93 magazine (like I did), then my take would be that they ARE sear ready - essentially an HK93 with different furniture. However, from their article it appears that they will NOT be using an HK receiver, so that, in my opinion, would make them postie only - like the semi SAW.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
It is my limited understanding that a NFA machinegun conversion device (sear) must be used with a firearm "of the same firearm family" as the conversion device was designed for. It is also my understanding that the big issue with sear use is the receiver must be a standard roller locked receiver for it to be "in that firearm family" for a HK sear. As everything else in a firearm, to the NFA Technology Branch, is just parts other than the receiver. Because the receiver is the regulated part. So the SAW that uses a HK trigger pack can not be used with a HK sear because the SAW receiver is not a roller locked receiver. Not because the SAW gun doesn't use the roller locked mechanism.

So if the MP44 looking gun used at least 81% of a roller locked receiver, then a HK sear could be used. I don't know as the MP44 with the HK trigger pack would have to use the roller locked mechanism. Case in point, the AR can use DI, short stroke, and long stroke piston mechanism because they are still using an AR lower receiver. If the roller locked receiver could get "dressed up" like a MP44, then I would think sear use would be GTG. But only if the MP44 receiver is based on a roller locked receiver. YMMV.

Scott

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
12,124 Posts
We can debate the magical threshold of the 81% barrier, but the gist of what has been said here is correct. ATF is unlikely to approve registered HK sear use in this weapon because the weapon is from a different family.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
This Sturmgewehr projects appears to be very cool. Watching both of those videos, I think HMG nailed a perfect balance of maintaining the originality of the weapon, while making necessary improvements to the design.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts