HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I took a lady friend of mine shooting. She enjoys the P2000 in 9mm, and really likes shooting. We've gone twice since December. There is one problem. She keeps shooting low and right. I don't want her to develop and bad habits and then not want to shoot anymore. She's right handed and left eye dominant.

To make sure it wasn't just the sights on the P2000 I picked it up, put the target much further away and put 9 rounds in the 10 ring with one flyer. This was probably done at 15 yards since its a small range.

I was looking online for that diagnostic pistol shooters target. But had no luck. Could someone help me out?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I actually told her to dry practice at home that night.

·
Registered
499 Posts
low left is almost always compensating for recoil. A beginner can "learn" to compensate very quickly, even in the first 10 rounds. Most of us do it without realizing it.
to un-learn this bad habit, here are a couple things I do
check your grip. it should be 60/40 with the LEFT hand (weak side hand) holding 60%, freeing the trigger hand to have less pressure and more trigger control.
Emphasize that the gun coming up is ok and normal.
First, and the main one, squeeze s l o w l y. It should be a surprise when the gun goes off.
Try loading the mag for her and put a dummy round, like the kind that are used for dry fire, in the mag so that she will not expect it. watch how much she drops her aim anticipating the recoil.
Also, do some actual dry fire practice.
Shoot a few fast double taps. run these from ready position (2 hand grip, centered close to chest), extend to firing position, then 2 shots in fast order. This puts the focus on trigger instead of recoil and also helps to become accustom to the power of the recoil. When you do this along with the very slow pulls, you will vary the speed with which you pull the trigger. This makes it hard to compensate since the recoil comes at a different pace
Shoot a little one handed. this will let her feel the recoil a lot more and let the hand come up. Emphasize that this is ok and normal.
Try shooting a few rounds of .22. The soft recoil will help to steady the hand

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had this same problem with a female I took shooting ,I unloaded the gun and didnt let her know I unloaded it. Then I turned the laser on and watched and as she pulled the trigger she was pushing forward to compensate for the recoil. Tell her you want her to try this new ammo you have and tell her you're going to load it then watch as she goes to shoot.

·
Registered
648 Posts
You can also randomly mix in some snap caps in her mags, and then watch when she shoots. She'll not know when the snap caps are coming up in the mag, so what she does should be consistent with when there's a live round.

·
Registered
562 Posts
When dry firing place a dime on the top of the slide. This will provide a visual aid and indentify the problem as outlined in the diagram posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts