HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a full size .45 as my first handgun, after shooting rifles for a few years. It's very nice, almost too big for my hands, but I wanted a "big !&$*-off .45" to carry downstairs when there is a bump in the night, and it fits the bill admirably. Besides, the neighbors might be disturbed by an angry naked man with a large commie rifle running out on his lawn when someone is trying to break into his garage. The USP is easier to carry around.

It was very mild mannered with recoil. The first few shots honestly startled me at the muzzle rise but it started to return to a sight picture almost of it's own volition before I was halfway through my second magazine. At the range I used, the noise (doubled up ears) was impressive. I ran out of the WWB I brought to the range (except for one last loaded mag ;)) before dark, which is too bad because it would have been nice to see the four foot fireball people have mentioned.

Can't reach the slide release with my thumb, which doesn't matter because I have to pull back on the slide a tad with my off hand just to get the damn lever to go down. Slapping a new magazine in with sufficient force makes the slide release on it's own.

I like that.

My favorite part of the manual was where it very concisely stated that qualified engineers had designed and tested the weapon very carefully and that modifying it to "make it better" (quotation marks theirs) was not a good idea. Has anyone ever seen a bubba'd HK?

There is one problem, and that being my tendency to produce patterns rather than groups. The good thing is that I have nothing to fear from home intruders who are three feet wide. (considering my area of the country, such a scenario is not that far fetched)

Obviously the problem is with me and not the gun. The USP was bought new and logically shouldn't need sight adjustments, but maybe I'm messing something up in that area. I think my shots were more accurate on the horizontal and not so good on the vertical.

I can lay a dime on the front sight and practice my single action trigger pull, without it falling off. I can even manage that in double action if I concentrate, although it is very difficult.

I know how to form a proper sight picture, which I will have you know is incredibly easier to do with the sights on USP than with the AK. I do want night sights but I'm holding off on that for later.

My left eye has sneakily become my dominant eye, but I just close it while shooting. Doesn't seem to enter the possibilities.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Suggestions:

1- Light and Necessary Mount

Dont need to be esoteric about sights. The standard sights of USP is just fine. A tac-light is necessary at night. I suggest you buy the Surefire X200. Other people in this forum have more experiences regarding the necessary mounts. You can ask them thru PM or just use search function.

2- Good Ammo

Winchester Ranger-T (RA45T) or Speer Gold Dot 230gr or any .45acp that will yield good expansion and adequate penetration against a human attacker.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a full size .45 as my first handgun, after shooting rifles for a few years. It's very nice, almost too big for my hands, but I wanted a "big !&$*-off .45" to carry downstairs when there is a bump in the night, and it fits the bill admirably. Besides, the neighbors might be disturbed by an angry naked man with a large commie rifle running out on his lawn when someone is trying to break into his garage. The USP is easier to carry around.

It was very mild mannered with recoil. The first few shots honestly startled me at the muzzle rise but it started to return to a sight picture almost of it's own volition before I was halfway through my second magazine. At the range I used, the noise (doubled up ears) was impressive. I ran out of the WWB I brought to the range (except for one last loaded mag ;)) before dark, which is too bad because it would have been nice to see the four foot fireball people have mentioned.

Can't reach the slide release with my thumb, which doesn't matter because I have to pull back on the slide a tad with my off hand just to get the damn lever to go down. Slapping a new magazine in with sufficient force makes the slide release on it's own.

I like that.

My favorite part of the manual was where it very concisely stated that qualified engineers had designed and tested the weapon very carefully and that modifying it to "make it better" (quotation marks theirs) was not a good idea. Has anyone ever seen a bubba'd HK?

There is one problem, and that being my tendency to produce patterns rather than groups. The good thing is that I have nothing to fear from home intruders who are three feet wide. (considering my area of the country, such a scenario is not that far fetched)

Obviously the problem is with me and not the gun. The USP was bought new and logically shouldn't need sight adjustments, but maybe I'm messing something up in that area. I think my shots were more accurate on the horizontal and not so good on the vertical.

I can lay a dime on the front sight and practice my single action trigger pull, without it falling off. I can even manage that in double action if I concentrate, although it is very difficult.

I know how to form a proper sight picture, which I will have you know is incredibly easier to do with the sights on USP than with the AK. I do want night sights but I'm holding off on that for later.

My left eye has sneakily become my dominant eye, but I just close it while shooting. Doesn't seem to enter the possibilities.

Any suggestions?
There is no substitute for professional instruction, and after that, practice, practice, practice.

As to your slide release issue, you should operate the release with the thumb of your supporting hand.

I second Chris, a light is of use.

·
Registered
173 Posts
i always would hit left with my first usp .45 not up or down just left, haveing said that it took me a bit to get used to the usp, i would suggest going to the range a bit more then you might normally just to get the feel of the gun and for a while slow your movements down. just a suggestion but it worked for me with my first usp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts