HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that initially the P7M10 had a slimmer sleeker slide but it wasbulked up to increase weight and reduce slide velocity.

I was wondering if maybe someone like Caspian could make a slide out of tungsten or with a large tungsten insert that would allow the slide profile to be that of the P7M8 but with the weight of the P7M10.

[email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the slide were slimmed to m8/m13 dimensions there would be no room for such an insert. I am a Tool and Die maker and tossed the idea around myself but is is simply impractical especially since the weight which I believe is needed for proper function and reliability, is the primary factor making the gun a problem for carry not the height so much.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
What about moving the mass to the length of the slide and making a long slide slim height version?
Then you'll need a longer barrel as well...

-Wes

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I read that initially the P7M10 had a slimmer sleeker slide but it wasbulked up to increase weight and reduce slide velocity.

I was wondering if maybe someone like Caspian could make a slide out of tungsten or with a large tungsten insert that would allow the slide profile to be that of the P7M8 but with the weight of the P7M10.

[email protected]
I'm sure someone could make a slide out of tungsten. But it would be really expensive. Tungsten is usually machined at high temperatures, it's too strong otherwise. But it is twice as dense as steel, so it could probably be done. Just don't forget to bring your wallet.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
A Wolf 23lb recoil spring would definitely allow for some lightening of the stock slide (or the creation of a somewhat lighter and slimmer one).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well i'd certainly be ok with a longer barrel. The grey guns long slide p7 I saw didn't have any length on the bbl and basically just functioned like a really long comp. Maybe I should talk to GGI. I'm not sure if i'd do it though as the fathead slide is growing on me.

·
Requiescat In Pace
3,807 Posts
Many options were considered when HK was developing the .40 S&W P7M10 to include those mentioned in this thread. None were considered technically feasible except for the massine slide that HK decided on in the end. The concern was not function (the first protos used a standard M13 slide modified for the .40 S&W cartridge and worked fine). The concern was long term function and safety, especially as we realized the then new round would "grow" in power and performance beyond the safe limits inherent in the unique gas retarded design. The P7M10 was a limited production model to allow HK to offer a handgun in .40 S&W while the USP was under development. It was never meant to be a strong competitor in that caliber. Even a dense material weight slide like one from tungsten would still result in a very heavy handgun with limited value.
G3Kurz

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Many options were considered when HK was developing the .40 S&W P7M10 to include those mentioned in this thread. None were considered technically feasible except for the massine slide that HK decided on in the end. The concern was not function (the first protos used a standard M13 slide modified for the .40 S&W cartridge and worked fine). The concern was long term function and safety, especially as we realized the then new round would "grow" in power and performance beyond the safe limits inherent in the unique gas retarded design. The P7M10 was a limited production model to allow HK to offer a handgun in .40 S&W while the USP was under development. It was never meant to be a strong competitor in that caliber. Even a dense material weight slide like one from tungsten would still result in a very heavy handgun with limited value.
G3Kurz
When I brainstorm all the possible "fixes" so that the normal P7 slide could be used in the .40, I have to think that the HK engineers had to think of the same things, as many of them would have been a lot easier or "cheaper, faster, better" as we like to say, than drastically increasing the size and mass of the slide. I'd have to think that much simpler fixes like changing the recoil spring constant or increasing the diameter of either the gas piston of the port size from the barrel to the gas piston were solutions that were tested and either didn't pass based on calculations, or maybe on actual tests.

I'm sure they thought of all the same stuff I can think of, but increasing the slide mass was the best choice from either a cost or performance basis, or maybe both.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If I remember correctly, Bruce Gray said that the P7M13 longslides he built back in the 1980s for HK used longer barrels. The modified slides were certainly long enough. At the time, there were claims that the conversions could handle 9x19mm loaded to IPSC Major Power Factor, which was higher than it is today. This was back in the Dark Ages when Major PF .38 Super was considered risky, and some top shooters like Jerry Barnhart were still successfully competing with their .45 ACP pistols.

Without a compensator, a 5" barrel P7 longslide would still be shorter than some companies' full-size pistols. I'm not an engineer, but I would suspect that a longer barrel would add a bit of additional dwell time for the gas system to slow the opening of the slide. Add a little bit of extra width and height to the slide, fill in the recessed radius between the sides and the top, and it would still be a pretty handsome pistol in contrast to final top-heavy P7M10.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well caspian won't do it, I don't remember if I heard back from GGI. I've gotten used to the look but exra bbl length wouldn't be a bad thing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well caspian won't do it, I don't remember if I heard back from GGI. I've gotten used to the look but exra bbl length wouldn't be a bad thing.
An LSC in .40 pencils out just fine. Perfectly doable, though expensive of course. If you don't mind the looks and balance of the M10 as it is, it might be best to accept it that way. (I frankly never did see the M10 as having a particularly high degree of practical utility in any event. I would imagine they are now pretty much relegated to collector status. I'd much rather carry an M13 or M8 if that were the choice.)

For the record, some of the M13 LSC's we built for IPSC shooting in the mid-80's did use somewhat longer barrels, made by BarSto Precision. However, the basic concept of the P7 Long Slide Comp is to utilize the slide extension as exactly that, a compensator. To that end, the factory barrel works perfectly well. Thank you for letting me weigh in on this.

-Bruce / Grayguns Inc. / Grayguns.com / 541-468-3840

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
One of my biggest disappointments with HK (and there have been several), was my first look at the much anticipated P7 in 40 cal. All kinds of reports, pics of prototypes, etc lead to the buildup of this "must have" pistol. Money was ready to be spent. When it finally arrived, all I could think was "they stuck a brick on top of a P7?!" One of the key things that made the P7 so unique was destroyed. I would have preferred they never made that gun, rather than soil the P7 line with that Frankenstein.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I like my brick. It's a manly pistol.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Warning: Owning a P7M10 causes you to always pee standing up.

: )

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well having shot it the other day I can say its a superb pistol and the look is definately growing on me. Ill put up pics when I get home but honestly I'm thinking about making a holster for it and carrying it. I'd say if my collection was a harem the M10 would be the big fat wife who cooks and cleans and takes care of the kids...not the prettiest or the slimest but she sure takes care of me. BTW Bruce thanks for weighing in on the M10.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oh and I can't resist thinking when I pick it up " Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it does not work you can always hit him with it"

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Oh and I can't resist thinking when I pick it up " Heavy is good, heavy is reliable, if it does not work you can always hit him with it"
"Protection from what, Tommy, Zee Germans?"

Great movie.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts