HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
Just wanted to know if the newstyle Mark 23 finish performs as well as the old one. I have a BA datecode Mark 23. Im not really wanting to know the differences, just if they are comparable.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The new one has the exact same identical finish as the all the other HK pistols. The older ones additionally have a layer of Maritime Coating which helps it to resist sea-spray. Unless you are using it in a sea-spray environment, I do not believe you will not see any difference between the two.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The new one has the exact same identical finish as the all the other HK pistols. The older ones additionally have a layer of Maritime Coating which helps it to resist sea-spray. Unless you are using it in a sea-spray environment, I do not believe you will not see any difference between the two.
Thanks for the answer. Its not the sea spray im worried about, its the fact that it still has a flaky finish. So I would rather they have done the same black coating they use on all their other guns. That is the only complaint I have with it, its wonderful otherwise.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I believe that the mark 23 has the HE finish, but it still has a layer of paint on top of that. I am aware the old maritime finish chips, but the new style doesnt have the maritime finish. So im not sure why they didnt just use the standard black HE finish only. Im not really bothered by the chipping, just wonder why they bothered if it doesnt have the benifit of the maritime finish. This mark 23 has about 750 rounds through it in the three months that I have owned it.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
That does look crappy. There have been lots of complaints about the appearance of the Mark 23 finish, but I thought it was only the older ones. You might call HK to see how it differs from the current lineup of USPs and HK45s and P30s. Maybe they went back to the Maritime finish?

·
Registered
378 Posts
My BA date code Mark 23 has a few less rounds than yours and I do have some wear on the top of the firing chamber, however, my barrel does not have any wear other than where the recoil spring rubs on the bottom. The newest ones definitely have some sort of lacquer or paint over the HE finish. I was surprised when I opened it to find a different finish. Does anyone have a Mark 23 with the standard USP style finish? I've read multiple threads talking about the change, but I've never seen side by side pics. Maybe they did something different for the last batch and went back to the old finish like Orfeo said.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
90 Posts
You would think someone from HK would chime in. I bet someone here know all the facts. I have a new Mark 23. Just got it last week. I hope it doesn't chip. Thanks for posting the pictures.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If HK used the Maritime or similar finish on their "last" run, im happy. I would like to know that my chipping finish does something useful. I just want to justify why my gun looks like this lol. The good news is that I dont have a single complaint otherwise.
I didnt realize that Hk ever made a run with just the USP HE finish. I thought they just discontinued the glossy Maritime finish for the Matte one that is on mine.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have an AI (08) with the same finish. don't think of it chipping as much as its rubbing off.............
its a known fact that its obviously an additional protective coating over the HE finish and sure
is unique to a pistol finish, don't know another like it. the early 80's 90 series rifles were an HD painted coating also
similar to the Mark 23 just a different color and smooth gray, beautiful.......... Learn to love the beauty of a well
used HK!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have an AI (08) with the same finish. don't think of it chipping as much as its rubbing off.............
its a known fact that its obviously an additional protective coating over the HE finish and sure
is unique to a pistol finish, don't know another like it. the early 80's 90 series rifles were an HD painted coating also
similar to the Mark 23 just a different color and smooth gray, beautiful.......... Learn to love the beauty of a well
used HK!!!
Well said

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
You would think someone from HK would chime in.
I bet they would if this question were posted in the HK Customer Service sub-forum. I haven't seen the CS reps participate on HKPRO outside of their own sub-forum.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bet they would if this question were posted in the HK Customer Service sub-forum. I haven't seen the CS reps participate on HKPRO outside of their own sub-forum.
Good point, but sometimes they do on other forums. I mean other manufacturers might comment. You are right though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hopefully someone will be able to chime in on the actual finish, the Mark 23 is to be my next gun purchase and it would be nice to know how they are coming.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hopefully someone will be able to chime in on the actual finish, the Mark 23 is to be my next gun purchase and it would be nice to know how they are coming.
If you do get one get it from Mike on this forum. $1840 shipped. **** the one I saw at the Tampa gun show this past weekend was $2100.00 + tax! He is a great guy to work with. I love my Mark 23.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I spoke with Travis at HK in Columbus this afternoon and he stated that that the latest run of Mark 23's should just be finished in HE. In the end the finish will not matter to me, just confusing that do and some don't.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
To be honest... (and I've been criticized here quite a bit for apparently being anti-HK ;) .... $1,800+ for a gun where the finish chips off after just 750 rounds... is too much. I don't care if the gun is still protected with HE under the maritime coating... but what's the point of even offering a coating which apparently needs to be reapplied after under 1k rounds? Even worse... for a gun which sells for nearly $2k.

The new Navy Seals MK25 sells for less than $1k and although often criticized... the finish will last significantly longer than 1k rds.

Not being overly critical... but the same thing happening with a Glock, Sig or FN ... and we would be all over this...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To be honest... (and I've been criticized here quite a bit for apparently being anti-HK ;) .... $1,800+ for a gun where the finish chips off after just 750 rounds... is too much. I don't care if the gun is still protected with HE under the maritime coating... but what's the point of even offering a coating which apparently needs to be reapplied after under 1k rounds? Even worse... for a gun which sells for nearly $2k.

The new Navy Seals MK25 sells for less than $1k and although often criticized... the finish will last significantly longer than 1k rds.

Not being overly critical... but the same thing happening with a Glock, Sig or FN ... and we would be all over this...
The overall quality justified the cost for me. I have found it to be the easiest gun in my collection to shoot. It is not for everyone, but I bought it knowing it would do this. I wasnt really concerned with the chipping so much, just posted to see if it was like the old maritime finish. I respect your position though, and you made a good point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts