HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Thought I would introduce myself. I'm pretty new to handguns and had a couple questions. I shot both the P220 (rented at the range) and my brother's USP45. Previously the only other gun I've shot was a Glock 9mm.

Anyway to my questions... What exactly is involved in ordering and using an FFL(?) like CDNN as opposed to just going to the nearest gun store and purchasing there. I had a chance to hold the HK45 and I think I'm set on ordering it this month... Also, is the HK45 a good first weapon to have or should I get a smaller caliber? I intend to use it at the range and home defense.

Thanks

·
Registered
851 Posts
Welcome! If you purchase from a local shop, you can build a repore with the staff/owner which can lead to future deals or possible special treatment. If you order from the Internet, you will need to locate a local shop that is willing to do an FFL transfer.

Depending on where you are located, some Internet dealers may not be willing to send a firearm to where you are (NY, CA, MA, etc). You will usually have to pay a fee for an FFL transfer, about $20 to $60, depending on where you are.

As for the HK45, reports are coming in to HKPro and most are positive. You have to be comfortable with the gun. Both in the grip and in shooting .45 ammo through it. .45 is great for home defense and target shooting as well. With a smaller caliber, you'll save a little on ammo purchases. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have bought most of my last weapons thru the internet because the prices online are SO much better than in the stores. You want to find an FFL in your area who will receive the weapon, do this first. They have to send their license to your seller before he/she will ship the gun after you make payment. Watch for a cash/money order discount, some stores upcharge you to buy with a credit card, this will keep more money in your pocket, especially if the gun is expensive. Some online stores will help you with this and can run a search for you. The two I have used as of late are small guys who work from home, and only charge the state fees they must pay to CA. They need to have a certain number of transactions in the year, and I actually help them keep their license, so no need to hose me.

Gun stores on the other hand sometimes will bend you over because you're not buying from them. They should charge no more than $50 handling fee, that's actually very high, probably half that is fair, plus what your state costs to register the gun. Buying out of state has also saved me sales taxes, if it's not in state than there should be no tax.

A few sellers I know of and would use myself, are CDNN (very limited CA sales because of our stupid laws), Marshfield Arms on the East Coast, and Vogarms (Wes Vogel) in the Pacific Northwest. They advertise on GunBroker, check their feedback if you are not sure, this will tell you a lot.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pawn shops can also accept an FFL transfer. When you transfer through an FFL with an out of state purchase, you save sales tax if you send a money order because the "sale" happened out of state.

Pay the receiving FFL, as stated, ~$20 to ~$30, and you pay sales tax just on the transfer fee. This typically saves you significant money, especially on an an expensive pistol or rifle. In general, anything over $500 will be cheaper when bought on-line, $300 and under should be bought locally. The range in the middle varies with the specifics on the "deal".

Also, ammo prices vary widely because of shipping charges. I buy my blasting ammo at Wal-Mart because of good prices and NO SHIPPING charges. 9mm is $16 per 100 for Winchester for example.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used the link below to find an FFL in my area who handles transfers out of his home for $15. You don't have to use a gun store to do the transfer.

http://www.auctionarms.com/help/fflnetwork.cfm

Also, on buying online versus buying in a store, the prices online are usually much lower. For my HK45, I went to my local gun store and they wanted $1000 for the pistol plus another $80 in sales tax. Compare that to what I paid for it online, $875 plus another $30 to ship.

My advice is to find a good cheap local FFL who is responsive to e-mail and buy all your guns online.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Pawn shops can also accept an FFL transfer.
Sorry, I'll have to disagree on using a pawn shop. Just stick with a gun shop FFL because they know their stuff on laws, gun models and how tranfers work.

Take it from me, I used a pawn shop to transfer a firearm and he totally screwed it up. I ended up using my buddy who's a licensed FFL dealer and an LEO to make the deal happen smoothly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The other thing to check on is your local laws. Besides having a FOID, Cook County is quite stringent about firearm ownership and specifically pistols.

Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Once you finally get your HK (regardless of caliber) I'm sure you will be quite pleased with your purchase. Post pics of your new toy;)

·
Registered
648 Posts
I didnt think you could own a handgun in chicago or those suburbs around it.
Not sure of the actual town name, but a client of mine that lives outside Chicago has over 40 guns and competes regularly. He commutes into downtown Chicago daily so its got to be fairly close. Granted I know nothing of the IL laws, but unless he's got some special status, I'd assume that you can own them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I live in Lake county. About 40 miles north of the city.

I've called around and no one has one in stock around me, except GAT Guns and they're asking $979 + tax. One store told me $885 and FFL transfer fees but don't have it in stock and don't know when they will get it...

Also I hope they will be able to get accessories like slim slide stops, extra magazines, etc. as I read on the forums it's very difficult to find extra magazines in stock.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I didnt think you could own a handgun in chicago or those suburbs around it.
You can own a handgun in Chicago proper if you are LEO or the gun was registered before the ban.

Most of the suburbs are fine. The Cook county ban applies if the town does not have any ordnances against it.

Morton Grove had a ban but I believe it is gone. Either way IL could be better in regards to guns but it is not as bad as some states.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts