HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to HK, and I'm about to purchase a USP Compact for CC. I can't decide between the .40 or .45. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,704 Posts
What cal. do you currently carry? Have you shot a 40 and a 45? Are you law enforcement? It's all your choice. No one here can make that decision for you. We can voice what and why we like one over the other, but gun for gun the real only difference is only cal. TJ

·
Registered
851 Posts
+1 with TexasJim.

We'll have our opinions, but ultimately you are the one who will be buying and using this gun. If possible, try to find a local dealer where you would be able to handle both models. Best scenario would be if there is a local range that has HK's that you can try out.

With that said, I went with 9mm in the USP Compact. My personal taste is that .40 and .45 are too snappy in a short barrel pistol configuration for me to control and shoot accurately (small hands and build). I love my full size USP Tactical in .45.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, basically, I'm new to concealed carry. I'm not law enforcement, and I really like both calibers. My current gun (Bersa Thunder .380 is way underpowered in my personal opinion). I'm also just really wanting to upgrade to a higher quality firearm, and I really like everything about the HK USP Compact. I have not been able to find anyone that has a .45 in stock locally, but I have held the .40 and it feels great in my hand. While I've shot both calibers, I've not fired either one in the HK platform. I guess I'm going to check with a local range and see if I can rent both pistols to try them out. I'm not sure if anyone around here has those available for rent.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well of course the best thing to do would be to shoot each of them and then make your decision.

As a defense round, both are adequate.

With the dual recoil sping setup that HK uses, it tends to reduce the felt recoil of whatever round your shooting.

I have never shot a USPC in .45, but it's very managable in .40sw. I tend to prefer the snappy recoil to the hard push, so the .40sw works for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.40 or .45

Obviously by the name you can tell ive got the .40 cal. I really like it's size considering it's 6.81inch is close to other makes full size hgs. I like it because honestly it's recoil is managable but still feeling like it's got some kahuna's. I'm a CJ major college student who wanted something high end but cheap at the range for shooting a couple hundred rounds per session. I mean .45's a cool, but I do not regret my choice one bit.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Either caliber is fine for a defensive round, what you really have to decide is which you shoot better. Many people think that 40 is just a smaller round that has less recoil and is more managable than 45, however many find out when they start shooting quite a bit that its not less recoil, its different recoil. 45 is slow and rolling, 40 is quick and sharp, whichever one you are more accurate with is what you should go with.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My personal opinion is that the USPc .40 is a better pistol than the USPc .45.

A lot of people read that as me saying the .40 round is better than the .45 round, but that's not what I'm saying at all.

A full-size USP .45 holds 12 shots, the compact holds 8.
A full-size USP .40 holds 13 shots, the compact holds 12.

Point being, to get the compact frame on the .45 you give up 4 shots of .45 compared to one shot of .40 for the USPc .40.

Regardless of what you think about .40 vs .45, it's hard to justify accepting 4 fewer shots (edit) of an arguably equivalent performing round (/edit) in a pistol of the same size/dimensions.

Since you think your .380 is underpowered I guess there isn't much point in steering you toward the HK P7/PSP pistols in 9mm, which are IMO the best concealed-carry pistols currently available. But if you're open to it, do some research and see. A brand new P7M8 goes for $1200-1300, but the police trade-in's/refurbs from H&K are still available on Gunbroker etc for $600-700, and that's a fantastic little handgun to get for half price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go with the 40. Like previously stated, 4 more rounds in the mag, snappy recoil with faster follow-ups. It's also my duty weapon.

Get quality instruction to improve your skills too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...Since you think your .380 is underpowered I guess there isn't much point in steering you toward the HK P7/PSP pistols in 9mm, which are IMO the best concealed-carry pistols currently available...
I don't reallly know much about the P7/PSP. What makes this a great concealed carry pistol, and why does it cost so much more? I'm just curious, and open to any suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get whatever caliber you are comfortable with and confident in shooting. With good shot placement, the .40 vs .45 vs 9mm debate won't really matter Like jimmybuffett posted, it comes down to shot capacity. But most importantly, you have to select a firearm that you trust will get the job done. Confidence is everything.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Dont let the capacity issue bog you down if you want to go with 45 over 40. Many many people carry full size 1911's which have the same 8 round capacity of the USPc. However, also do not discount the additional capacity you get with .40, it is definitely a nice plus.

The main thing should be the caliber and how it feels to shoot it, then worry about capacity.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't reallly know much about the P7/PSP. What makes this a great concealed carry pistol, and why does it cost so much more? I'm just curious, and open to any suggestions. Thanks
The biggest reason that the P7/PSP is such a great concealed-carry pistol is because of the squeeze-cocker mechanism on the front of the grip. Squeezing it cocks the hammer, releasing it uncocks the hammer. There is no external hammer or safety to fiddle with, you just pull it from the holster, squeeze the grip and start shooting.

The trigger pull is very light, 1.5 pounds is always the number I hear thrown around, but the squeeze grip is about 10 pounds (but then you're using 3 fingers to do it, and once it's back it doesn't take anything to hold it there).

It's roughly the same size as a USPc .40 (I have both), but a little thinner due to the magazine single-stacking the rounds.

P7M8's are $1200-1300 brand new, which is crazy to me. I saw the price before I ever shot one and thought "wow this is a nice pistol, but I don't know about the price". Not a month later the market got flooded with these police trade-in P7's for about half that price ($600-700 depending on grade), so I jumped on one.

I personally think that it's the best concealed-carry pistol available on the market today.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I chose the .40 Compact because I am naturally more accurate shooting a .40 than a .45. I can now shoot a .45 OK, but it took more practice. The .40 Compact was my very first handgun, and I shot it very competently right out of the box.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats and enjoy it. It's an excellent pistol -- and making your choice on what you honestly shoot best with is always the best policy. I had a similar choice with a USPc .45 and a P2000 9mm and the as much as I'd like to say I was a crack shot with both, the truth was the 9mm was always a better looking target at the end of the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts