HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As stated in my thread title I'm new to HKs and any tips would be helpful. I am going to be purchasing a HK93 clone very soon as a 3 gun rifle/plinker. I have had HORRIBLE experience while in the service with ARs and will never go back to the platform in the direct gas system type. I have debated going piston but I don't think they have that system fully ironed out yet. I make my own competition bolt actions for long range competition and am a combat vet from Fallujah 06' where I did EOD security, Convoy security and did my main job (artillery) with G 2/11 in support of RCT 5. I love AKs but for what I want it to do currently I believe the HK93 platform will fit my needs better.

My questions:
Any mods that make huge improvements on this platform?
What base to use with red dot for partial co-witness?
I already purchased some MKE 93 mags, which other mags work well?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Any mods that make huge improvements on this platform?
do some searching here.... there is a significant chance that if you buy a C93, you'll be putting a new barrel on it within a few hundred rounds.

What base to use with red dot for partial co-witness?
all of my mounts are too tall to co-witness, so no advice there.

I already purchased some MKE 93 mags, which other mags work well?
The main sources are H&K and MKE, both seem to work reasonably well.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
If you are really going to shoot it a lot.... spend the extra and get a REAL H&K... not a clone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are some pretty good AR piston setups out there, but the better versions are very pricey. The best example of a gas piston setup is the Uber-AR, the HK416.

Although, the whole weapon is not available the the civilian market, there are a few uppers floating around but damn, they're high.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can't say that my experience with my C93 has been BAD, but I haven't honestly given it a REAL test. Given the Century Arms reputation, I would look into a Vector instead if that's the way you want to go. If you're thinking gas piston, I hate to say it (not an HK), but a Sig 556 or whatever the civilian version is would be a FANTASTIC rifle.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
For cowitness: The Knight's Armament RAS rail with the 30mm Aimpoint mount provides a true co-witness sight picture (not 1/3 as with most AR's). I have also seen where people have used the low profile B&T MP5 mount and used a Micro T1 (with some modification to fit the base); however, this will sit the sight very far to the rear and should provide co-witness as well.

I have run my 93 in some department training exercises and have found that reloads were where this platform kept coming up short. Since there is no bolt hold-open device, you will drop the hammer on an empty chamber and waste time there. If you are lucky like me, you can reach the mag release button and insert a fresh mag. Now its a matter of drawing back that long cocking handle. One can also do it "MP5" style and lock the bolt to the rear before inserting the new mag and "HK slap" it to charge it. Comparing it to an AR reload, it feels painfully slow in comparison.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With my M16A4 I always loaded my mags two rounds short of capacity. I trained enough I could feel when the mag was getting low. I'd simply do a mag swap with a round still in the chamber then when I fired the round in the chamber it simply picked up the next round. MUCH faster and no need to worry about a charging handle or hitting the bolt hold open release. We'll see if I can train enough to overcome the design flaws.

Thanks,
Merritt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts