HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This past weekend I picked my first HK, an HK45c. It's a LNIB German model from 2010. I really like the grip and the size for me is perfect for CCW. Overall I think the design and styling are top rate. That said when I took it to the range I was having a bit of trouble with the DA pull. All I shoot are DA/SA firearms, SIGs, Berettas, and FNs, but this was a bit stiff for me. In SA it's a dream, I have no problems there, but in DA I was throwing my first shot a good 4 inch or more off target at 7rds, which is a bit much for me.

Looking around the site I noticed a lot of people replaced the hammer springs in their USPs to help with this problem. However, I had a hard time determining if this is possible for the HK45c, especially as it uses a shorter spring. In going to look at Wolff springs it says right at the top "Note for use in HK45 and P30 Series Pistols". But I know the LEM kit includes a lighter spring.

Is there somewhere that I can buy a lighter hammer spring for the HK45c, if so where, and which part # specifically?

Thanks,
-TR

·
Registered
371 Posts
No, the hammer spring included in the LEM kit is a heavier spring. The spring that comes in V1 is the lighter spring. You may check the TRS and see if it is the heavier spring or not. Being used, someone could have done a half ass conversion on it or who knows what. A heavy TRS will look like a flat coil in shape, where as the lighter spring is round coil in shape. Neither of these could solve the problem, a stock V1 trigger from HK has a 11 (ish) pound trigger if I am not mistaken.
Good luck, hope you enjoy your new HK
Welcome to the forums
Kravur

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
If you don't have to keep DA/SA, I'd suggest converting it to Light LEM. If yours is a V1 DA/SA as you say, then it already has the factory lightest springs. Wolf springs are only for full-size USPs.

Wolf springs.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Wolf springs are only for full-size USPs.Wolf springs.
Hammer and trigger springs are universal through USP/P2k/P30/HK45. There was a difference between full and compact USP because of the bobbed vs. spurred hammer, having different weight. I think this distinction has mostly gone to the wayside with light/heavy systems going around now.

·
Registered
18,641 Posts
Hammer and trigger springs are universal through USP/P2k/P30/HK45. There was a difference between full and compact USP because of the bobbed vs. spurred hammer, having different weight. I think this distinction has mostly gone to the wayside with light/heavy systems going around now.
Hammer spring is different for HK45C.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
The first shot in a gunfight (or tank duel) is paramount. Too important for me to risk it with a DA or DA/SA pistol.

The cure for DA/SA and the solution for first shot on target in the HK line is known as either Light LEM or V9 if you can manage the less than ideal frame safety. Every shot is the same with these.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow, thanks for all the responses guys!

My first task is to put at least another 100 rounds through it this weekend to see how I am doing. I've been dry firing with snap caps this week and I think I am getting a bit better. It may have been "used", but from what I can see it at most had a box of ammo put through it so I don't think the trigger is broken in at all. It is kind of sad to realize I have the lightest spring these is :(.

I have thought about the LEM trigger, but I am not overly sure how it works. Best I can figure is there is a reset point so that you don't have to release the trigger the whole way for it to reset after a shot is fired. Is that right? Seems like it would take a fair amount of training to do well in practice, especially under stress. My other question is I see "light LEM" thrown around a lot. I know there are different trigger weights for LEM, but what are they? I personally prefer something on the order of 6-6.5 lbs.

Thanks again,
-TR

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
LEM training takes a magazine. Maybe two.

The trigger is two-stage. You do NOT "pull thru." You take up the first stage (slack) and stop at the sear trip point. This is the same point as that SA trigger or DA/SA trigger reset. Complete the press when the sights align. Release to reset, just like SA or the SA part of DA/SA, and send a second round. Release the trigger fully when done and the pistol safes itself. Couldn't be simpler. Even we old M1911 guys pick it up in a magazine or two. The trigger can be busy if you completely release between every shot but most of train to only release to reset until the engagement is over.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds interesting. Is it possible to install myself? I've done a complete disassembly on a P226 before, but never really messed around with an HK.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you want a 6-6.5lb break, I think an LEM conversion leaving the stock hammer and firing pin springs in place but installing the heavy trigger return spring (the one with the square wire stock) will be perfect. I believe this is what is referred to as the "Todd Green Special," but I am new to the HK world and could be wrong about that. Anyway, I just did the conversion with TRS change and it is fantastic. I originally just did the "light" LEM conversion, but the 5lb trigger weight was too light for me, and the trigger return was sluggish (the trigger would actually stick at times when releasing it slowly). The TRS change fixed both problems. The LEM conversion itself is not difficult, but installing the heavy TRS is a challenge. If you decide to do it, let me know and I will share a couple of tips on the TRS install that might save you some time and frustration.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I'm going to get all crazy and suggest you give it some time and plenty of ammunition before you start considering changes. It's like anything else that's new. It's strange at first but becomes familiar with time. Get a thousand (more would be better) or so rounds through it without comparing it to anything else and if you're still having a hard time then start thinking about changing things. There's really no substitute for time and effort. Everything else is just a short cut.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I agree with Brownie. If you give it time and training then you can and will get used to the SA/DA HK trigger. Although after doing this myself, I have now realized I like and prefer the LEM over it. Its smoother, lighter and quicker for me to manipulate than the SA/DA. I have grown to like it. Yes you can install a LEM kit yourself it is quite simple if you use directions and common sense. You will need a couple roll pin punches, hammer, and a pair of needle nose pliers.
Good luck
Kravur

·
Registered
327 Posts
"Why not carry cocked and locked?"

For me, the positioning/size/shape of the safety does not work well and interferes with my preferred grip. While I think there is also a lot to be said for the simplicity of the LEM configuration, in my case it really boils down to personal fit. Cocked and locked works great for me with a 1911, but not with this particular gun...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't have a problem with cocked and locked on the 1911s I own. That said, I have a bit more trouble manipulating the safety on this gun than I do on those guns. I have stubby fingers and it's not always easy for me to snag the safety. I don't feel comfortable being able to actuate it well enough to use it for carry that way.

I do plan on putting a lot more rounds through it this weekend. If I am still having trouble I might consider the LEM. I just like knowing what options are out there :).

·
Registered
818 Posts
"Why not carry cocked and locked?"

For me, the positioning/size/shape of the safety does not work well and interferes with my preferred grip. While I think there is also a lot to be said for the simplicity of the LEM configuration, in my case it really boils down to personal fit. Cocked and locked works great for me with a 1911, but not with this particular gun...
Understood. Go with what works best for you and good luck.

I love my 1911's too but I really don't find much difference between them and my USP 45C and HK 45C when they're in condition one.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
The first shot in a gunfight (or tank duel) is paramount. Too important for me to risk it with a DA or DA/SA pistol.

The cure for DA/SA and the solution for first shot on target in the HK line is known as either Light LEM or V9 if you can manage the less than ideal frame safety. Every shot is the same with these.

-- Chuck
LEM training takes a magazine. Maybe two.

The trigger is two-stage. You do NOT "pull thru." You take up the first stage (slack) and stop at the sear trip point. This is the same point as that SA trigger or DA/SA trigger reset. Complete the press when the sights align. Release to reset, just like SA or the SA part of DA/SA, and send a second round. Release the trigger fully when done and the pistol safes itself. Couldn't be simpler. Even we old M1911 guys pick it up in a magazine or two. The trigger can be busy if you completely release between every shot but most of train to only release to reset until the engagement is over.

-- Chuck
Very well said; the LEM is the best combat/defense trigger system available at present in a pistol, in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts