HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Just bought my first HK91. The date code on the left side of the receiver is IB and the same code appears on the bolt carrier. If that's 1981 it matches the date on the test target. The letters N-IA appear on the bolt head and there is the letter C stamped on another spot on the bolt head and a German proof mark as well. Everything about the rifle is clean, very little wear, finish appears to be original. The only marks in the finish are on the inside of the magazine well where the steel magazines have nicked it in a few places. The original owner claims he had fired about 500 rounds through it and has owned it since the early 80s--essentially it sat in his safe. It came with a canvas sling that has an eleborate snap-closing mechanism at the front--appears original--two steel magazines, and the HK bipod. I am concerned about the N-IA on the bolt head--is that supposed to match the IB on the receiver and bolt carrier? Paid $1700 for it. Did I do OK? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34,583 Posts
Welcome to the site, and congratulations on the acquisition!!! :biggrin:
Very good deal--- especially with the sling, 2 steel magazines and light bipod. :eek:
Probably nothing to concern yourself--- likely a very early "IB" (1981) rifle with leftover, "factory" IA (1980) bolt head--- nothing unusual as any parts left over from a previous year could be used on a rifle of the next year. :wink:
Does your rifle have the "SF" lower? :confused:

Tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re above, did some checking on the site, now I see what you mean--the lower is a 0 (white)-1 (red).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Jackm, Welcome to the Forum.

It sounds like you got a Very Good Deal on an Original '81 HK91.

Right now Used 91's (just the Rifle & 1 Mag) in Good to Very Good Condition, are selling for more $1800.00 and up.
And a Genuine (new) HK Light Bipod can go for up to $390.00.
I can't remember what the Cloth Sling that you described looked like, can you post a pic of it.

Get yourself alot of mags, while they're still very reasonabley (cheap) priced
And start stocking up on some ammo, because the closer the election, the harder it going to get.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't post a picture right now but the sling is some kind of woven material, adjustable for length, olive drab in color, with a spring-loaded snap at one end, a metal double loop, and a spring steel flat hook at the butt end that attaches to the bracket on the stock. According to the manual there are a number of ways it can be used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts